Search

Girls on Vespas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girls on Vespas

Okay, either my friends are crazy or I am a bit of a coward. They want to rent Vespas and travel around different Italian cities over a one-week trip. There will be a total of five girls on this trip. I have read some of the postings, and frankly, I am afraid to drive in a foreign city on a scooter. We are all late twenties, early thirties, and this will be our first trip to Italy, and my first trip to Europe. Should I go along with this, or try to convince them to do Vespas for only a day or two?
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Well it isn't something I would do or have ever done jaimkee but I will be interested in what those more adventerous than I have to say.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Mad to do it at all.

Do you all know how to ride a motorbike (and ok it may be a cute looking little Vespa, but that is what it is) anyway? Do you know how many tourists get injured on mopeds in all sorts of countries because for some reason they think that as they are on holiday they will be immune from all the accidents novice motorcyclists have (combined with unfamiliar surroundings/driving on the 'wrong' side/mad traffic/probably more booze than you normally drink/no helmet?) Do you know what Italian traffic is like? Will you be happy riding along in the rain, getting wet, and on a slippery road? And what are you going to do with your luggage?
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:40 PM

I think it would be great to rent a vespa for a day trip through the back roads of Tuscany, but not for a whole trip. They are noisey and you can not talk to each other, luggage etc.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM

You are nuts if you do it.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Jaimkee:

My wife and I have owned scooters here in the US for five years, and drive them every day to work. We thought it would be a 'great' idea to rent them in Tuscany, to go from small town to small town. I now have a good sized scar on my arm and knee from an accident outside of San Gimignano. (You should have seen the scooter!). The problem is that the Italians don't have the same lane etiquette (spelling?) that we do. They think nothing of driving in the 'wrong' lane to pass someone going too slow for them.

In my case, I was coming down around a hill. I had a rock wall to my right, traffic to my left, and a car was coming at me, in my lane, trying to pass the car in front of him. I went down, he swerved around me and kept going.

My recommendation - if you're really excited about doing the Vespas, rent them for an afternoon first and see how crazy the drivers are. I'd bet you a gelato that you wouldn't rent it the next day. Rent a car, take a train, but I wouldn't recommend going city to city in a Vespa. It's just not that much fun when you're worried about every driver possibly coming at you in your lane.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Unless you are really experienced on bikes, have your own leathers and are able to travel with the tiny amount you can attach to your bike this is not only ridiculous - but quite impossible.

There are masses of moped accidents in Bermuda - with few cars and relatively calm, slow traffic.

In the Italian cities you would be like deer in the headlights - since there are few traffic signals and most intersections work on the "chicken" model.

And however would you get any sort of luggage between cities?

(Yes - in europe bike touring groups do this all the time - with either sidecars or pulling little luggage trailers. But these are experienced bikers who ride all year long - and are used to the highway rules, the traffic and the road/weather conditions.)
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:52 PM
jgg

I agree with the other posters. I hate to tell a real downer of a story, but if it saves one person's life here goes. Some friends of ours went to Tuscany last summer for a Vespa riding trip. Our friends collect Vespas and ride them regularly in town here. Another couple on the tour didn't ride them although the husband had ridden a few times here, the wife never.

For the first few days the wife was very nervous riding the Vespa, on the 3rd day heading to San Gimignano she went around a blind curve and was killed.

I only tell you this story to encourage you to go along with your instincts.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:44 PM

Not in Italy, but on a Vespa in Bermuda, a friend of ours went around a curve, skidded on a small stone in the road..ended up being flown back to NY for surgery on a very torn up broken leg.
I think the Vespa idea is fun in a movie but not in real life
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:51 PM

Really do not do it. My nephew is a 13 yr old boy from Florence Italy. All his friends have motorinos. I told him that I will personally buy him a new car when he is 19 if he promises not to get a motorino. So far he is still alive and I have saving up for his new car!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 09:02 PM

Actually a good friends younger brother in N Italy has had two bad accidents while on his Vespa while he was a teen. He almost gave his poor mother a nervous breakdown.

Jaimkee, I never thought about the luggage problem that so many other brought up. Yes, how do you friends plan to handle that? I think I would go by train and hopefully meet them when they arrive at their last spot. And hopefully they will all arrive and in once piece. Best wishes to you.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:33 PM

Jaimkee
I agree with the other posters. When we were in Santorini(Astra Apartments) we saw a couple and she had a cut foot from a rust pipe she stepped on.The husband was telling us that everyone in the emergency room 6 or so people were all in there for motorscooter accident's.We were traveling with our three kids, two who are 17 and 20. They didn't bug us anymore to get a vespa.
I don't want to be a downer. If you are set on renting one, rent it for a day in Tuscany. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:35 PM

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/tehcok20...60762307504171
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM

I agree with everyone else and personally I think even the idea of renting in Tuscany is a very bad idea.

I seen so many friends injured by falling on gravel roads and losing most of their skin.

A friend recently went to Antigua and I told her not to rent a scooter, but she went ahead and did it. She ended up in hospital with a broken arm.

Geordie
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:13 AM

I guess that's a pretty strong 'no' vote then!

It's not that we want to be a load of boring old fuddy duddys. It's just that we have been there and seen all the accidents and injuries those things cause to tourists. Masses and masses and masses of them. Far more than you get on the roads you are used to. You may not believe us until you see it for yourself but please take our word for it.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:32 AM
GBC

Hi jamkee

You are correct. This is a very bad idea. If they insist on any kind of scooters you would do best to skip the trip. We love to travel and wouldn't turn down many opportunities but this is not the way to begin traveling Europe.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:59 AM
rbm

Hi jaimkee,
As an experienced biker who has come off both motorcycles and a Lambretta (a Vespa-like bike) my answer is "no". Don't even think about it. Scooters are notoriously unstable. Combine that with mayhem of Italian roads, inexperience, unfamiliarity with directions, bad Italian wine etc...and what do you get? A disaster waiting to happen. Capice?
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM

My husband - an Italian with many years' scooter and motorcycle experience - while at a conference near Naples decided to rent a scooter to explore the lovely coastline. Went around a blind corner, hit a ditch that went all the way across the road (unmarked road work), lost control, fell on his face and hands. The worst injury was a broken finger, plus a lot of skin lost on his hands. He chose to come back to Milan for treatment because he doesn't trust the hospitals in the south - they are underfunded and notoriously much worse than the ones in the north. So even WHERE you have the accident could be a factor in how well you come out of it.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:21 AM

I'd rather run w/the bulls than ride a Vespa in Italy. Sounds to me like you are the only one w/any sense.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:15 AM
ira

>They want to rent Vespas and travel around different Italian cities over a one-week trip.<

Do these folks have a death wish?

In one week you shouldn't be visiting more than 2 cities anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -