Getting to Venice from Hvar, Croatia

Apr 14th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Getting to Venice from Hvar, Croatia

We are in Hvar on Sept 29/08 and need to be in Venice on Sept 30. Has anyone travelled from Hvar to Venice in one day ?

I am struggling to find an alternative to flying which is expensive and eats up 11 hours of travel ( ferry and indirect flights)

I cannot find definitive info regarding ferry timetables out of Hvar for Sept 29.

Do fast ferries run at that time of year from Stari Grad to Pescara or Ancona ?

It seems hydrofoils operate seasonally and only from Istria to Venice- am I correct ?

Any suggestions would be welcome
Apr 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM

The fast ferries have short summer seasons and will have finished by 29 September, and the direct ferries from Hvar to Italy will also have finished for the winter. Blue Line has an overnight service from Split at 2100 on the 29th, getting to Ancona around 0700, then a train would get to Venezia by early afternoon.
www.blueline-ferries.com
Apr 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thx a bundle. Good advice...That seems to be the best choice for us. One more question - will it be necessary to book ahead at that time of year ?

Apr 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM

The ships won't be too busy at that time of year, but it will depend partly on what sort of accommodation you want on the ship. I'd book it in Croatia.
Apr 14th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

One question leads to another - thx for ur patience...

I have looked at low season time table for Hvar with Jadrolina but cannot see any detail for Sept crossings. I sent them an email but no reply.

I am trying to determine the frequency of crossings on Sept 29 and do car ferries go less frequently than regular passenger ferries and how late do they run from Stari Grad to Split.

Are passenger ferries faster than car ferries?

Can we drive across Hvar by car to Sucaraj , cross by ferry to Drevnik and then go to Split faster than a car crossing from Stari Grad to split

ferry schedules have my head spinning. I appreciate the feedback
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM

On www.jadrolinija.hr, in English, click "Sailing Schedule" then "Table - low season".
The routes are listed by district. Under "District of Split" is the route from Split to Stari Grad.
This shows departures from Stari Grad on Mondays at 0600, 1130, 1430 and 1730, with a crossing time of two hours.
There is also a ferry on Mondays from Hvar town at 0755 to Split, and fast catamarans at 0630 (Jadrolinija) and 0740 (www.krilo.hr) from Hvar to Split.
Jadrolinija's sailings for September aren't on the website yet, but they will be similar.