Reload this Page >

Getting to Holland by Ferry from England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:20 PM
Susan

Our plane lands at Gatwick and we'd like to start our vacation with a visit to Holland to visit relatives. We thought we would take a ferry. Where is the ferry terminal in England and what is the best way of getting there from Gatwick area. Also, how long does the ferry take to get from England to Holland and how much does it cost? <BR>It's our first trip to Europe, so any advice would be most appreciated.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:25 PM
Sjoerd

There is a fery from Harwich to Hoek van Holland. Takes about 3 1/2 hours. The company is Stena line. http://www7.stenaline.co.uk/servlet/se.ementor.econgero.servlet.presentation.Main?data .node.id=4303&data.language.id=2<BR>Trains run from London Liverpool Street Station to Harwich and from Hoek van Holland to all over the Netherlands.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:31 PM
Susan

Many thanks for your quick reply. I'll check the website for costs. Would you be able to tell me where Harwich is in relation to Gatwick Airport? Or do you suggest we should travel to London Liverpool Street Station from Gatwick?<BR>

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 01:24 AM
Angela

It might also be an option, and perhaps quicker all in all to take the ferry from Dover to Oostende. You would be much closer to Dover from Gatwick and it is easier for you to get to there than to Harwich. Then you could drive up from Oostende into Holland. I think there is a fast ferry on that route that only takes a couple of hours, ??who runs it though, perhaps hoverspeed.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 01:25 AM
Angela

ps it is hoverspeed, I have just checked. Prices and times are on the web site.<BR><BR>www.hoverspeed.co.uk

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 03:11 AM
Sjoerd

You could also take a cheap flight on Easyjet which flies from Gatwick to Amsterdam. www.easyjet.com<BR>If you book early, you can get very cheap deals.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Susan

Thanks to all for your suggestions. After checking ferries and trains and buses and cars in our quest to get to Amsterdam from London Gatwick, we've decided to book flights through Easyjet. Very affordable, convenient and fast alternative. (Thanks, Sjoerd)<BR>