Reload this Page >

Ferry from DOVER to Le Havre or PORTSMOUTH to Cherbourg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 05:43 PM
marge

I read all the posts but still need help. We will be in Dover on 10 Sept, thought the best way to see the Normandy beaches was to leave from there to Le Havre or Calais?<BR><BR>Is there a bus service from Le Havre to CAEN? <BR><BR>If we don't return on the above ferry I thought it would be best to drive along the beach route and end up in Cherbourg. <BR><BR>Or we can do the trip from Portsmouth.<BR><BR>2. We will be in the Portsmouth area later in the week and could take the ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg.<BR><BR>I have written Col. Chilcott but he hasn't replied yet. <BR><BR>Sorry this is so long but I wanted to give as much info as I could. Thank you very much to all that can help. Marge<BR>

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Jc

There are buses from Le Havre train station to Caen.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Jan

Brittany ferries run a service from Portsmouth to Caen. Check out their web site for times, prices etc. Journey is by conventional ferry and takes about 6 hours.Web site www.brittanyferries.co.uk P&O run services from Portsmouth to both Le Havre and Cherbourg.The Le Havre trip is by conventional ferry and again takes about 6 hours, they also run a fast ferry to Cherbourg time for this is two and three quarter hours. Check out their web site at www.poportsmouth.co.uk .

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:00 AM
marge

I saw the 0700 Rodin boat on P&O from Portsmouth but what is the fastest way to get there from Dover? Do I have to go into London?<BR><BR>If I have to go to Dover to London, London to Portsmouth am I saving any time?

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Jan

I may be mistaken but I thought the 'Rodin' was a Sea France boat that does the Dover Calais run see:- www.seafrance.co.uk.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 11:45 AM
marge

I see there is the Hoverspeed from Dover to Calais but didn't see how long it takes. <BR><BR>Could someone answer my question above regarding: Would I save anytime getting to London etc.