Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting to Gare St-Lazare early in the morning.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are getting closer and closer to our trip to Paris the second week of April. We've been planning for over a year, but now we have questions on little details. For example, we' are taking Robespierre's suggested mini-tour of Normandy as posted on 7-22-06. We are staying in an apartment near Musee D'Orsay, and we need to get to Gare St-Lazare to take the 6:42 train to Caen. Too early for bus or Metro? What would be the best way to get there? Taxi?
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:37 AM

Métro Ligne 12 from Assemblee Nationale (Direction: Porte de la Chapelle) every 5 minutes from 5h44 on or the N° 24 bus at 6h20 will both get you there in 5 minutes.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:42 AM

I would suggest calling for a cab the night before.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for both suggestions. Robespierre, thanks for all of your concise and accurate advice. I've learned so much from your posts. Also, thanks for being patient with those of us who are new to this and probably ask the same dumb questions over and over. By the way, there will probably more of those from me in the next several weeks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM

Best way to get to Gare St-Lazare from The Latin Quarter on an early weekday morning?
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:44 PM

Go to http://www.ratp.fr

Plug your <b>hotel's address</b> in the <i>D&eacute;part</i> box, and <b>Gare St-Lazare</b> in the <i>Arriv&eacute;e box</i>. Tick the &quot;station&quot; button in the latter, and press <i>Itin&eacute;rare</i> button.

You will see a listing of (probably underground train) routes to your destination. The first time I used 1, Rue Sufflot, it gave me RER B and M&eacute;tro Ligne 14.

If the time of day is not when you plan to travel, or you want to see only bus routes, press <i>Modifier recherche</i> and you will be taken back to the search criteria. Now you can tick <i>Bus, tramway</i> and <i>Rechercher</i> to get the updated itinerary.

When I tried the above itinerary with <i>Bus</i> selected, I got N&deg; 27 with a 12-minute run to the station.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM

The Metro is a good way to go, but the Paris Metro not overly luggage friendly. (I would qualify it as luggage hostile, unless you enjoy climbing stairs with your luggage for a morning workout.) The bus defies luggage! If you have the normal tourist burden of a couple of suitcases each, I suggest a taxi.

When I was 24, I carried my luggage on the Metro because I had more brawn than brains and more brains than money.
Now, 50 years later, the situation is the total opposite. I would take a cab.