Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to travel from Gare Du Nord to Hotel(Palais Royal Station) using Metro At Night?

Search

Is it safe to travel from Gare Du Nord to Hotel(Palais Royal Station) using Metro At Night?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving at Paris at the Gare Du Nord station at 11:30p.m this August on a Friday night with my husband with minimal luggage. We want to transfer to our hotel using the metro. And i have the following questions

The nearest station to our hotel is Palais Royal Metro station. Is it that difficult to change the metro line at Gare de L'Est to get to the Palais Royal station?Is it safe to travel this way/line if there is just the 2 of us?

I was initially thinking of getting off at Les Halles station and walking all the way to the hotel (thsi way, there is no need to change the metro lines) But i have read numerous report that that station is not safe at night(drug activity etc) nor is it safe at all to travel on the metro at that time of the night?

Is taxi our only way out??

Pls advise.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 05:05 AM

I must confess I don't recall the specifics of either Gare de l'Est or Les Halles, especially not at that time of night, but I wouldn't have thought two reasonably savvy adults with few encumbrances would have much trouble. I was travelling alone around the metro around midnight in June and never noticed any problems.

Yes, there are always likely to be unsavoury characters hanging around interchange stations, but at that time on a Friday night there are also likely to be lots of normal people having a good night out, which is usually an effective deterrent.

Just keep your wits about you and your valuables in a safe place and make sure you've identified the connections you need to make (from Gare du Nord, line 5 direction place d'Italie or line 4 dir. porte d'Orléans, change at Gare de l'Est to line 7 dir. Villejuif) so that you look as though you know where you're going. Personally I wouldn't want to change lines at Les Halles because that has even more walking than other interchanges, likewise walking from there to Palais Royal seems like a bit of a hike just to avoid changing at gare de l'Est.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 05:10 AM
ira

Hi S,

www.ratp.fr suggests that you walk over to Gare de l'Est and take the no.7 metro direct to Palais Royale.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:49 AM

A taxi should cost less than 10€ - I'd do that rather than try finding my direction that late at night.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:55 AM

I certainly wouldn't walk between the stations - it's about 1km according to the map. The streets may be perfectly safe but at that time of night I'd want to be in the hotel a.s.a.p.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:57 AM

I think that at that time of evening, anyone who seems at all unsure of where they are going or what they are doing, is potentially vulnerable to problems no matter where they are. Now I realize that I am a worrier, but taking a taxi is the only option I would consider....
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally I try to avoid public transportation when I have luggage (minimal or otherwise). I think it's a hassle and *if* (I don't know that there is but IF...) there is someone looking to harrass tourists, I think having a suitcase on Metro at midnight is one way to call attention to yourself.

This is not a comment about safety in Paris but more a travel tip I follow myself in many situations. Especially if the taxi is 10euro as mentioned above, what the heck, I'd splurge.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Take a taxi. Arriving at 11:30 p.m. with some luggage, your being tired, and this is the first time you've been to Paris, it's not the best time to take the metro. You always have to be careful while traveling on the metro as that's where the majority of pickpockets hang out. Nighttime you have to be more vigilant.

Take the taxi. It's really simple and stress-free compared to boarding the metro that late at night with luggage.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 02:22 PM

The taxi line is at the west end of the station. You will pay the fare on the meter plus .70€ for being picked up at a SNCF station and .90€ per bag [over 5 kilos] plus optional tip. Having the hotel address written down to show to the driver is always a good idea.

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 04:02 PM

Have never felt unafe in the Paris metro - the only real danger is pickpockets and you can avoid that as long as you keep you wits about you - just like everywhere else.

But - arriving that late at night - and dragging luggage - I would never attempt to negotiate those changes, stairs, tunnels etc - way too many options for some fast kid to grab a purse or something while you're looking at signs to be sure where you're going. Even if you weren't already exhausted, cranky (my projection) and wanting your bed ASAP.

For 10E - go for the taxi.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 05:01 PM

The metro will have people on it at 11:30 Friday night! But, I vote with everyone else, take the Taxi. Ask your hotel to find out how much the taxi fare will be. The metro stops running sometime after midnight (not sure exactly) and you don't want to get caught trying to transfer and not be able to. This happened to us about 12:30 or 1 in the morning and we walked a long way.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 11:21 PM

Hello,
If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to use the metro at 11.30 pm, but I'm very familiar with the system. I don't think it's particularly unsafe, and certainly if you keep an eye on your belongings and don't let any strangers help you buy tickets or distract you, you should be fine.
You say you have minimum luggage, so if heavy bags aren't an issue and you have used the Paris metro before, then I'd say go for it.

However, if you haven't used the metro system before you may find it confusing, so it might be better to take a taxi. Just remember that if you're arriving by Eurostar or Thalys, you may have a bit of a wait in the taxi queue as half the people on the train make a beeline for the taxi rank.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 05:00 AM

I also wouldn't hesitate to use the Metro at 11:30.

I'd take Line 4 to Chatelet and then switch to Line 1 (but your method works just fine also). I use Lines 1 and 4 a lot when I'm in Paris. There're always a lot of people on Line 1, as this lines straddles a lot of the major tourist spots.

If you're concerned, you can of course take a taxi (I don't think there will be a long line at the station). The Metro will be faster if there's a line at the taxi stand.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:49 AM

RER B will take you non-stop from Gare du Nord to Châtelet-Les Halles in 3 minutes.

Use mappy.com and ratp.fr to compare the walking distance to change lines plus Palais Royal to your hotel versus walking from Châtelet directly to the hotel.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:57 AM

I think that the changing from RER to Metro at Chatelet-Les Halles is a little confusing.

I'd take Line 4 to Chatelet. The train ride may take you 2-3 extra minutes (each Metro stop takes an average of 1 minute). The Paris Metro is very fast.

Actually the amount of time in the end may be even about the same, depending on how easy the transfer from RER to Line 1 is (several transfers in that station require long walks across long corridors).
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 07:51 AM

<i>p.s.</i> Line 1 is the <u>only</u> one mentioned by the State Departement in its travel advisory. The fact that pickpockets congregate on the heavily-traveled tourist routes is mentioned.

&quot;Many thefts occur on the Number One Subway Line, which runs through the center of Paris by many major tourist attractions (including the Grand Arch at La Defense, the Arc de Triomphe, the Champs Elysees, Place de la Concorde, the Louvre, and the Bastille). Pickpockets are especially active on this metro line during the summer months and use a number of techniques.&quot;

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1116.html
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Well Line 1 does straddle the main sights, as I mentioned.

My mom was pickpocketed on Line 7.

But really, I think that the risks of being pick-pocketed are exaggerated. You just have to be vigilant and not be distracted. But they're very quick.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:25 AM

I know the Paris m&eacute;tro inside and out and I'd hesitate to take it around midnight with luggage, ESPECIALLY if it involved going through Chatelet - the most enormous, confusing underground station ever. You could get lost in there for weeks. For a first-time traveler to Paris that would be my concern, not safety (though I wouldn't stroll around Les Halles with luggage at that time of night, either).

Take a taxi.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:28 AM

Perhaps the best way to not be distracted is to <u>not</u> attempt changing train lines with a bunch of luggage in the middle of the night in a station you've never been in before when tired after a long day traveling.

I'd get on the RER B at Gare du Nord, get off at Ch&acirc;telet-Les Halles, and walk from there.

The French word for &quot;Exit&quot; or &quot;Way Out&quot; is <b>SORTIE</b>.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:00 AM

I have not read all the replies but you mention two of my most unfavorite Metro stations--Gare du Nord and Les Halles. Do yourselves a favor and a not real expensive one--take a taxi and stay above ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -