Getting to CDG from apartment in Paris

Sep 15th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Getting to CDG from apartment in Paris

Sadly all good things come to an end, and we must fly back to the states in a couple days, after an amazing four-week stay in France.

We we are in a fifth floor flat (no lift) on rue Montmartre in the 1st, and our flight will be going out of CDG at 1p.m. We’ll need a ride to the airport - I want to be on our way by 8 or 8:30 am (check-out is at 9) which I realize will be smack dab in the middle of rush hour. I don’t mind if we arrive too early at the airport, as we will have use of the lounge.

What is our best and most reliable option for getting on our way? We have too much luggage to consider public transport. Car service? Taxi? My French is not the best, and definitely not on the phone.

My worst fear is that no one will show up at a planned time, and we’ll be stuck trying to find a way to the airport under stress. So “reliable” is the key word here.

Anyone have a recommendation?
Sep 16th, 2018, 02:33 AM

Have you checked with the person/company you rented the apartment from? They usually have a company they trust to provide transportation to/from the airport. Is there a taxi stand near your apartment? You could just talk to a driver a day or two ahead of time to see if he/she will take you and for how much. Or, you could wait until the morning you depart and hope a taxi is available. If it were me -- we're in Paris now and have already arranged for limo service when we leave in two weeks -- I would make a reservation with a limo service.
Sep 16th, 2018, 04:33 AM

well, that's the problem you took on when you decide to rent an apartment rather than stay in a hotel, and to take so much luggage, whenever I do something like that, I make those plans as part of the decision. It sounds like you want a taxi driver to come up 5 flights and carry your your luggage down 5 flights also, which sounds unlikely to me and I don't know how you'd even order such a thing, that isn't normal. I know there is no place to order that on the internet.

I agree that your landlord, if there is one, should be consulted. If you have none who is of any help, I don't think any method is foolproof. You certainly can call G7 taxis and make an appt for a pickup and hopefully they will show up, although sometimes things happen and they don't. They have an English speaking number, at least used to, although I don't have it handy. Of course you can just make an appt on their website also and you don't have to speak to anyone. I don't know a private car service, although some other people might. I don't know if that would be more foolproof or not. I think it would be when a hotel makes the arrangement, but not sure about a private party.

If you are on rue Montmartre in the 1st, you must be right smack near Les Halles, I'd just take the RER myself, its direct from there. If you are incapable of carrying your luggage down those stairs (not sure how you got them up, that is harder) and incapable of walking a block or two with luggage, that is a problem. There are taxi ranks around there, if yoiu are staying there, you should seek them out and see if anyone ios there around 8 am. The problem is the taxi stand is on the east side of Les Halles Forum. There is one at St Etienne Marcel metro stop, if that is closer to where you are.
Sep 16th, 2018, 04:52 AM

Do you have a smart phone? If so, download Uber (you can pre-book) or use this site to book a taxi.

https://www.g7.fr/en/paris-taxi-fares

its not big deal!

Its about an hour to the airport, but can take longer in rush hour.

Regards
Sep 16th, 2018, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Christina. I have come to appreciate your judgmental and full-of-assumptions responses to questions on this forum.

i have absolutely no expectations of asking anyone to help carry the two pieces of luggage we have - the same ones we arrived by train with last week (and carried up the stairs ourselves). I don’t want to take the train from Las Halles, although you are correct, it is close by. I’m not a fan of dragging luggage through cobblestone streets and through that huge shopping mall/train station in advance of a 10-hour flight.

I already know from from previous responses by you that you are an amazing packer and you hardly take any bags along on your trips. Sorry, but we have been on the road for four weeks, through different weather changes, and a lot of different activities ... and I just couldn’t limit myself to a small carry-on for this adventure. I know you would have, though.

I have followed the the previous posters’ suggestions and arranged for a car to pick us up and take us to the airport. It’s all good.
Sep 16th, 2018, 05:27 AM

I've heard positive things about the G7 service. I can also recommend Le Cab, an excellent service that I've used multiple times. You can sign up and order with a smartphone (or PC, IIRC), and you can specify an English-speaking driver. It's similar to Uber or Addison Lee (UK service) in that you can track your driver when it's time for pickup. The Le Cab drivers that I've had were all extremely helpful in terms of luggage.

Also scdreamer, good job in ignoring the stultifyingly absurd advice and comments from the legendary Christina, who apparently still wears too-tight garments that makes her constantly irritable.
Sep 16th, 2018, 05:50 AM

scdreamer
In over 20 years of experience with G7, they have never failed to show.
Sep 16th, 2018, 05:58 AM

Frankly, in the dead center of Paris, just getting a taxi in the street would not be a problem.
Sep 16th, 2018, 07:55 AM

I always take Uber to the airport. It’s 45 euro every time.
Sep 16th, 2018, 09:16 AM

Uber.
Sep 16th, 2018, 09:34 AM

I think we have some shareholders here. However, I will even add (although the only time I used Uber was in Guatemala City at 5am to get to the airport) that as of next week, Uber is expanding to 4 cities in the south of France, including Avignon and Aix-en-Provence.
Sep 16th, 2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
I always take Uber to the airport. It’s 45 euro every time.
I had a friend take Uber to CDG a few months ago. He paid 80€. Surge pricing is alive and well in Paris.

For trips to the airport, I use Snapcar.
Sep 16th, 2018, 12:35 PM

Call the G7 Taxi English line. They will show up about 5 minutes before you're ready for them, but they are completely reliable.
Sep 16th, 2018, 01:37 PM

Christina, I find your response(s) very off putting. You can be helpful and everyone appreciates it but your holier than thou attitude, not so much. You tend to make assumptions and pipe in what you think is the right way to do things or what you do. Maybe reread the OPs post and also read what you’re posting, most time it comes across as superior. Most of us are well traveled also but there’s always a question. Just be helpful, not judgmental.
Sep 16th, 2018, 01:43 PM

I’ve never had surge pricing hit when I go the airport but I’ve certainly seen it other times. When that is the case I try ChauffeurPrivé (55€) to CDG.

I don’t own stock in either company.

last time I tried to use the G7 app it said « we’re sorry, there are no cars available now ». I couldn’t wait so I paid Uber’s surge pricing.
Sep 16th, 2018, 10:35 PM

Hi scdreamer,

I've used G7 Taxi a couple of times -- once by telephoning their English line, and once in advance with the app. It's very easy, rate is set, and as St Cirq notes, the taxi was early when I arranged it in advance.

Have fun on your last days in Paris!

s
Sep 17th, 2018, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Christina View Post
well, that's the problem you took on when you decide to rent an apartment rather than stay in a hotel, and to take so much luggage, whenever I do something like that, I make those plans as part of the decision. It sounds like you want a taxi driver to come up 5 flights and carry your your luggage down 5 flights also, which sounds unlikely to me and I don't know how you'd even order such a thing, that isn't normal. I know there is no place to order that on the internet.

I agree that your landlord, if there is one, should be consulted. If you have none who is of any help, I don't think any method is foolproof. You certainly can call G7 taxis and make an appt for a pickup and hopefully they will show up, although sometimes things happen and they don't. They have an English speaking number, at least used to, although I don't have it handy. Of course you can just make an appt on their website also and you don't have to speak to anyone. I don't know a private car service, although some other people might. I don't know if that would be more foolproof or not. I think it would be when a hotel makes the arrangement, but not sure about a private party.

If you are on rue Montmartre in the 1st, you must be right smack near Les Halles, I'd just take the RER myself, its direct from there. If you are incapable of carrying your luggage down those stairs (not sure how you got them up, that is harder) and incapable of walking a block or two with luggage, that is a problem. There are taxi ranks around there, if yoiu are staying there, you should seek them out and see if anyone ios there around 8 am. The problem is the taxi stand is on the east side of Les Halles Forum. There is one at St Etienne Marcel metro stop, if that is closer to where you are.
Frankly, I find it preposterous to suggest that one should choose to stay in a hotel for a four week stay simply so that they can have someone call them a taxi when they are ready to go back to the airport or so that there MIGHT be someone who can help if the taxi is not arriving on time. Paris is full of hotels that lack the capacity to help solve travel issues, especially in the morning when there is a queue of six people wanting to check out and one clerk. Smart travelers should not have the expectation that a hotel will provide a safety net for this sort of thing (as this post implies) and if there are concerns about late or missing taxis during rush hours, one should simply plan more time as a contingency. Apartments are a great option in Paris and for many years I've stopped even considering hotels for leisure visits to Paris.

I only know my own experience but I think that trying to get information or help organising transport from an apartment "landlord" is likely to be a big waste of time and a distraction. Obviously there are many types of "landlords" (professional management companies of all sorts down to "amateur" Airbnb hosts) but this is likely to be very hit or miss and the best I think you could hope for is someone's general opinion (e.g. I would just all ABC taxi, I would just hail one out front, etc). You might get lucky and find one who provides real help in organising something that will give the best service and value but I think it's more likely to waste your time, give you the wrong solution, and you might be much better off avoiding this route.
Sep 17th, 2018, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I am not a novice traveler - I wasn’t asking for advice on “how” to get to CDG, but rather a recommendation for a reliable taxi or car service. We have hired a driver from Kwik Taxi, a service recommended to us. Fingers crossed they will come through.

In addition, we have been traveling throughout northeastern and central France for much of the past month, and have only been in Paris five days. Not that it makes any real difference for this question, but I saw that my initial post was likely misuderstood as far as having an apartment here for a month.
Sep 18th, 2018, 09:50 AM

If that doesnt work out, you can always walk to Place des Victoires, just a block or two west of rue Montmartre. There is a taxi stand in the Place des Victoires itself, so getting a cab there shouldn't take long at all.

I find this link most helpful in locating ranks: Taxis Paris | Liste taxis aéroport Roissy, Orly et Gare de Lyon, Nord This is their page for the 2nd Arr. map, which has closer ranks than any in the 1st for rue Montmartre: Stations de taxis Paris 2ème | Bornes d'appel taxis 2ème arrondissement

It gives you the address, and a limited map, but simply putting in the address into google maps street view will give you an exact location of the ranks' signs.
Sep 18th, 2018, 11:34 AM

For future reference, I will second using Uber. The curb to curb service is very reliable in Paris. If surge pricing increases the fare at any time of day, you can bet that a taxi, where the fare is based on time and distance, will have increased fares as well. Uber, in my experience, is always less expensive. Further, in France the drivers are very professional and well dressed. The Uber cars are clean and comfortable. Knowing French is not necessary, as you plug in your destination on the ap, and the driver knows exactly where you are going. I'm a fan!

Search this Thread