Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting the check in a French restaurant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After several trips to France, there is one skill that still mystifies my husband and me. That is - how to get the waiter to bring the check at the end of the meal?

Now, I speak some French though my husband does not. We fully understand that a restaurant meal in France is a leisurely event and not to be rushed. However, after dessert, and after the coffee it is eventually time for the check. At this point, the waiters seem to forget we exist. They don't make eye contact, or even glance in our direction. I'm assuming that this is politeness on their part - they don't want to rush someone who has enjoyed their meal. This phenomena occurs at restaurants of all sorts, modest to elegant. Are we just missing something?

So, how does one gracefully get the waiters attention? Is there a secret code that signals that we are done with our meal?
Your help will be most appreciated.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 01:49 PM

I speak about as much French as the average cat, but I have never had a problem paying. I get the waiter's attention somehow and make the universal sign of writing on the palm of my hand. So far that tactic has worked.
Perhaps the waiter or waitress is looking or a chance to get me out of there. But I doubt it.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 01:54 PM
ira

Hi D,

On our last trip to Paris, we had dinner at a small restaurant around the corner from our hotel. My wife thought that she would like to go around the hotel to 'freshen up'. She got up and walked to the door.

That brought the waiter.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 01:55 PM
rfb

Dear Dlemma,

You must do something to attract their attention. Raise your hand slightly, make a point of looking at them or something. It's up to you to tell him when you're ready to leave, not for him to tell you.

When all else fails, Pardonnes, monsieur, usually works.

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:07 PM
ira

OR as Degas might recommend, just wave your hand a lot and yell, "Hay! Garkon! La Multiplication!"
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Ira,
LOL - that is too good! Maybe I'll try it if we get really desperate!

Seriously, we do use the other techniques mentioned - (ok I haven't tried walking out the door!) - and they all work well once the waiter looks our way. The hard part is trying to get him to look our way once there is not an excuse for him to come to our table. Maybe that's normal....
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Degas

ira, another tactic I use when the bill is exceptionally large is to yell loudly in french: "The Germans have crossed the border!"

At which point, me and the LW quietly exit during all the wild panic and confusion. It is one of the few french phrases I know and it always commands instant attention and prompt action.

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:32 PM

Degas,
You are such a panic!! The LW? Little Woman? Germans? I bet they just love it when you remind them they could be eating sauerkraut! ...such a good representative of the good ole U S of A.

BTW, We "reglar folks" always just say, Monsieur, L'addition, s'il vous plait. They show up promptly.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:36 PM
ira

>We "reglar folks" always just say, Monsieur, L'addition, s'il vous plait. They show up promptly.<

"Mons your, le addition, sill voose plate" hasn't worked for me.

Degas,

Do you say Les Allemandes or Les Boche?

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:41 PM

On our recent trip to Paris we thoroughly enjoyed the fact the waiters were not at our table every 10 minutes (like they are in the US) asking us if everything was ok, etc. and it was nice not to be pushed out the door at the end of the meal. However, when we were indeed ready to leave, and wanted the check, we did as Wren suggested above, caught the waiter's eye and when he came over to our table we said to our waiter "Monsieur, L'addition, s'il vous plait". When dining in France, you have the table for as long as you like, you will not automatically be given the check when you finish coffee. You were correct when you stated that this is politeness on their part.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 03:10 PM

It is also nice that the waiters don't come to your table and write their name upside down in crayon and say, "Hi, I'm .....I'll be your waiter tonight!" Also, they don't come to your table and say, "Can I get you GUYS anything else?" Since I am not a guy, this always gnaws at me a little.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 03:12 PM
ira

On the other hand (OTOH) there are those who say that Parisian waiters are "snooty" becuse they don't do those things.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 03:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm there to eat not make friends with the waiter(tho I've had when one was formitable)so I agree that we are so accustomed to Hi, my name is....
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:22 PM

La, Degas and Ira, thank you for the laugh!
I am picturing a Monty Python scene of waiters and patrons scrambling and Degas and his Little Wife, calmly strolling out the door

"L'Addition s'il vous plait" (see voo play) always works for us but we never get any laughs out of it either~
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:13 PM

If nothing works, just be an ugly American.. Snap your Fingers and yell: Garcon L'Addition s'Il Vous Plait!!!
And Bonne chance
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:38 PM

Really- just keep putting your hand up in the air and saying "Monsieur!" If necessary, get up from your seats and put on your coats - this should be a clue that you are ready to leave. If you actually exit from the restuarant without paying the bill, consider yourselves privileged.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 06:17 PM

I think that occasionally I have found it hard to contact a waiter to ask for the check, but not usually. It never happens in a place I'd call a restaurant, but only in very busy casual places like a cafe where the waiter might have a large area to cover. Sometimes it seems they do forget about you in places like that, or if your waiter went off shift. YOu just have to signal them when they get near your table somehow, if that happens. I've never had it happen in a full-fledged restaurant, though, that is unusual.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 06:43 PM

Wren - had a good laugh over the hand written crayon names. And let's not forget the waiter/waitresses who crouch down at the end of the table so they can be at eye level with the diners and then grin their way through their opening spiel. It is nice the way French waiters don't treat the whole dining out experience as a circus act!

Christina, the issue of not getting the waiters attention to bring your check does indeed happen in "real restaurants" - I think you'll notice that trained wait staff is attentive yet unobtrusive, and don't bring you your check and coat when you are finished with dessert; they allow guests to linger and enjoy their evening. They have no idea if you plan on sitting and conversing with your companions or if you need to leave in a more timely fashion. I think the only place you'd be handed a check when you are done is if you were ordering some kind of take away!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:47 PM

That can be such a pain. We were out in the Loire valley and it must have taken a hour to get the waiter to get us the bill. We could have just screamed! Especially when we thought that the restaurant was the only one in town - and we were staying in the town for a week!

Luckily, we found another (small) restaurant the next night. They recognized us as Americans and that we didn't want to take forever. We got in and out each night in less than an hour. They even let us in one night on their 'quiet night' (when they closed for the evening) and we were fed in less than 20 minutes!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you've tried the others and they don't work, my plan of attack always works: As the waiter brings what you know is going to be the last food, drink or coffee you will order, ask for the check when he/she is at your table with that last item.