Astier in Paris?

Search

Astier in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Astier in Paris?

Today's New York Times features an article entitled "A Few Days of Plenty in Paris". It describes what is probably about a $5000 weekend for two in Paris. But the first dinner place described -- Astier, in the 11th sounds very intriquing with a set price of about $26.50 including a wonderful cheese tray, etc. Any body know of this place?
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

My apologies. I entered the "Asteir" in the search function and got no results, then realized I had spelled it wrong. Entering Astier correctly got me quite a few results. Sounds like a great place.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 08:11 AM

Hi Patrick,<BR>Just read the article. Thanks.<BR>While that $600 room at the Meurice will never be within the realm of my possibilities, the Astier has been on my list for a while, since it's listed in the great &quot;Bistros of Paris&quot; book by the Hamburgers. <BR>The authors call it &quot;bustling and unpretentious, filled day and night with well heeled regulars and knowledgeable tourists&quot; who come for that amazine value 4 course prix fixe. Tightly packed, paper cloth covered tables, diners elbow to elbow, but a congenial staff.<BR>Apparently there are at least 10 differnet choices for each course, and besides the 20 cheeses, they have an impressive display of desserts and a very comprehensive wine list for moderate prices. They say the decor is nonexistent and the room noisy and smoky, but you come for the food, not for the decor.<BR><BR>Zagat gives it a 19 for food and calls it &quot;the epitome of a bustling, good-value traditional French bistro in a hip pocket of the 11th-unbeatable prices for the quality&quot;.<BR>Exactly why it's on my list.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 08:16 AM

Oh Patrick what a joy to be able to pass on great information to you! Yes, yes, yes! Astier is a wonderful place to eat in Paris. I actually have recommedned it to folks on this site so I am not sure why it did not show up. It is in the 11th (Parmentier Metro stop). It's a packed(with the French) Bistro that serves a set price lunch and dinner. It is, however, a discovery menu so you have a few options of what to offer. There is seating upstairs and down. I think we actually liked sitting downstairs better(we went there twice in a two week stay inn Paris).The cheese course is astounding. It arrives on a large tray with an immense choice of cheeses. You eat from it for awahile and then it is passed along. I first tasted &quot;Espoisses&quot; cheese there at the suggestion of a woman at the next table. Every course we had was delicious. Also..the wait staff did not speak English and the menu is printed in French only. We each spoke a tiny bit of French so were able to discern most of the menu and ad lib on the rest with gestures to the waiter. The second time we brought our dictionary along. Go...it is among my favorite memories of Paris.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 10:24 AM

And..in the very same neighborhood on the very same street but two blocks down from Astier is &quot;Le Bleu Homme&quot; This is a small, reasonable and very good Berber restaurant.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 12:47 PM

<BR><BR>Patrick, didn't the article make you want to jump on a plane and go do the same thing? I was wishing to be sleeping late, waking up in Paris at the Meurice!! and just spend my days walking and shopping and of course, eating<BR>
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:36 AM

I ate at Astier last June and saved a copy of the menu. 13 starters, 11 main courses and 7 desserts. The price was 23.5 euros (the dollar was also a bit stronger then). Excellent food for the price. The cheese course is everthing you've heard about, with a no less than 20 varieties placed before you to sample whatever you fancy. The one thing though that brought me there was the hallucinatory wine list. The list will please any wine hound. We had a 00' Les Pallieres Gigondas and a 97' Ogier Cote Rotie. Incredible! Reservations are essential in high season.<BR>Best,<BR>Gregg
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 09:23 AM

Hi all!!<BR>Astier sounds great. and I hope to make it our first stop on our visit to Paris next monthMy husband is a vegetarian.Can Greg, ( who has the menu) or anyone who has recently eaten there tell me if there are any vegetarian optopns on the menu?<BR><BR>Thanks-LAW
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 06:41 PM

You have all convinced me to try Astier.<BR>Just following on from lornamd - does anyone know any vegetarian restaurants in Paris, Lisbon and Spain? We're going there in September.