Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Am I missing something here... ethnic restaurants in Paris?

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I admit the problem is with me, but I just don't get going to ethnic restaurants in Paris (OK - maybe Leons de Bruxelles). Perhaps it is because we have good access to great Greek, Italian, Chinese, Indian restaurants in Toronto. It almost seems sacrilige to eat anything but French in Paris (maybe fusion). What am I missing. Flame away.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Your missing the point that sometimes someone doesn't want to eat French every meal, every single day.

Every French meal isn't cosmic, you know, there are lots of dull and ordinary and even bad French restaurants, so you could well have a better meal in some other kind of restaurant in Paris than some bad French once. I think Leon de Bruxelles is not worth stepping foot in myself, so there you go. I've had Indian meals in Paris about 10 times better than what I had at Leon de Bruxelles.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Well I totally agree. I could never get tired on French food in Paris. If I eat duck one day I will have turbot the next and so on. Although the Vietnamese take-out places might tempt me once or twice. Maybe if I lived there I would want Chinese but as you said, we can eat great ethnic food at home (I am from NYC).
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Paris is an international city. An example only, historically, France's "colonies", French nationals, were "brought back home"...people from all over the world settle in Paris ... so their food becomes "Parisienne" (spelling here...whatever..)
Was that your first trip out of town?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Consider that Paris has wonderful foods from French former colonies. One of my favorite places in the world is a Senegalese restaurant north of the Pompidou called Paris Dakar. I imagine the Vietnamese food is really good as well. And the way the food is prepared at a French Chinese restaurant is often very different from what you would get at that type of restaurant in the states. There are great Chinese restaurants around the Ballard (?) metro.

While I love almost everything French, French food is not my thing. I'm not a meat-eater and I can't have dairy. This makes the typical French meal difficult for me. I do much better with Asian foods.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Neopolitan

So at the same time I guess you're saying what is the point of anyone eating anything in Toronto except Canadian food?

Sometimes variety is "the spice of life".

And if the French do great things with "French dishes", think what they can accomplish with Chinese!

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Interesting question, when I am in Paris and or France I can honestly say I never get tired of "French" cuisine.

Every region of France offers such variety all of which can be found in Paris. The differences are often subtle but they are there nontheless. I don't know any other European country that can offer such variety.

I certainly didn't find a variety of Italian culinary nuances in Rome It was quite in your face, so to speak. I was happy to find a South American restaruant in Rome, an Indian resto in London and I was thrilled to eat anything that wasn't sausage or pork in Vienna.

I never tire of the foods found in France, nor the variety.

I am willing to take on some of the flames directed at you, robjame.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Christina - <<I've had Indian meals in Paris about 10 times better than what I had at Leon de Bruxelles.>> I didn't like the papadams there either.

eks - so maybe it is our proximity to a cosmopolitan city that makes it different for us?

Suzie - that makes some sense to me - so Chinese with a French influence.
As for <<Was that your first trip out of town?>> we only have a small window when the snow melts, eh.

Guy - <<no meat, no dairy>> --- you're excused

Neopol - ahh, logic isn't the strong point but thanks for the laugh. Don't you know that Canadian food is whale blubber and maple syrup?

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

DeborahAnn - my kinda girl. Were you winking at me or was that something in your eye?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM

The only Léon de Bruxelles that I know of in Paris is the chain that specializes in mussels. Nothing Indian about it. Am I missing something?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:14 PM

robjame, I grew up in Minnesota, I thought Canadians only ate what they find at the ice rinks Deborah
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:21 PM

I think it depends on how long you are there. If it is just a weekend, then load up on all the French food you can get. If you are staying a month, then see what French-Indian food is all about. See how the Chinese tweak their dishes for a French palatte instead of a Canadian one.

One night we ate Indian in Ireland. It was wonderful comparing the different dishes to what we were used to. But we went there because we were pretty tired of potatoes.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Paris has the best Vietnamese restaurants outside of Vietnam.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM

I say to each his own. I like French restaurants there and never could see the raves over eating mostly crepes. For me that's what I eat alot of in Normandy and Brittany.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM

I am very picky and don't particularly care for most French cuisine so I actually prefer to eat at the ethic restaurants. Not everyone loves French food and not everyone wants to eat nothing but French food for every meal during their visit.

Tracy
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:51 PM

But remember all French food is not the same, Normandy, Brittany, Alsace , Burgundy and other areas have completely differet styles of cooking and ingredients. Some areas only have cows, some only sheep. Some don't grow wine, So if you know the restaurants cooking area, you'll know what to expect.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with kelliebellie - stay long enough and you might need a change from French food - I just haven't been lucky enough to stay there that long yet. And Indian food in Paris? That's what I eat in London. (I'd put a smiley face emoticon in here, but I haven't figured out how to do that on this board.)
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Exactly! What is "French food?" And yes, Robjame, I think we agree here 'cause we live in two of the greatest eating cities in the Western hemisphere. Although I am quite sure the Vietnamese in Paris is as good or better than that of NYC.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM
KT

Now I'm scared that the Food Police will catch me, even if the Clothes Police and the Tipping Police don't. So many rules to follow when travelling....
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:07 PM

Mais non! When I'm in France I only eat French food - EVER. Et je ne bois jamais du café chez Starbucks !

Deborah Ann, you are too funny!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information