Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting Russian visa from NYC consulate - I'm freaking out...

Jun 5th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Hello Fodors community, I need to be talked down from the ledge because I am freaking out. I am using a visa service agency (that I will not name until this is over, at which point I will leave a negative review) to get my Russian single-entry tourist visa through the NYC consulate. I leave for China (the first leg of my trip) on Monday June 25 and I have my Chinese visa already. This agency that I'm using did not alert me to the fact that there was an issue with my letter of invitation that delayed the submission of my application to the NYC Russian consulate by 9 calendar days. I thought that my application was submitted on May 22, but it turns out that it was submitted on May 31. The visa agency is telling me that they can't guarantee that the process won't take shorter than 21 business days (which would be beyond my June 25 departure date) but they are trying to tell me that it probably will be done before that and that I shouldn't worry. I am so, so angry that this visa agency didn't tell me that there was a delay in submission, because not telling me denied me the opportunity to pay for an expedited service and now I just have to cross my fingers it will be done, because they're saying that once the application is submitted to the consulate I can't change to expedited service.

So I would love to hear from people who have gone through this recently. How long did it take for the NYC consulate to get you your visa? Am I completely screwed?

Sincerely,

Completely Freaking Out
Jun 5th, 2018, 06:45 PM

Are you using INVISA or did you add yet another intermediary? Here’s my story:

Stumbling on the path to a Russian visa
Jun 5th, 2018, 11:43 PM

It’s only the 6th June, there is time yet before panicking. How on earth can there can be an issue with the letter of invitation? What was the issue? You could have supplied that invitation yourself to the visa service by getting by it from the hotel you are staying in in Russia. It’s something that is sent out within a day or two of asking for it. In fact, doing an online visa application instead of using an agency means you can keep track of your application and if there are errors in the submission, you can correct and resubmit. Using a visa agency doesn’t mean you don’t keep tabs on them. You always need to chase them for updates.

If the visa agency has messed up, they should pay the consular fee for the application to be processed urgently. It’s a busy time for the consulate especially with FIFA but there is still a lot of time until the 25th June plus your application has been in for almost a week already. Some Russian consulates can even do same day urgent processing of visas (at a cost), at the very least, 3 day processing, you do well to check your options on their website and get the visa agency moving but as I said before, you have a lot of time left for normal processing and they probably can’t change it from normal to urgent processing now that the application is already lodged.

Last edited by Odin; Jun 6th, 2018 at 12:10 AM.
Jun 7th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Odin! You don't know how much I appreciate the optimism. The craziest thing about the letter of invitation is I used the agency to get the letter! I really don't know what was wrong. I feel in my gut it will work out. Thanks for the reply!
Jun 12th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Just want to give an update that crisis has been averted and I have my visa! It took 13 calendar days. I'll never know if it was always going to take that long, or if my frantic calls to the visa agency lit a fire under their butts. But needless to say I am relieved that I have my passport and visa in my hands 13 days before my departure date!
Jun 12th, 2018, 05:16 PM

Yay, congratulations!