Search

Getting nervous

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting nervous

Will be in Paris in mid Sept. for 4 days and I am running into a brick wall trying to get a hotel of my choice (a good location for day trips and within walking distance to some of the gems but without having to remortgage my home). Some of the hotels mentioned to other travellers are all booked. Please help with suggestions if you can. I am a lone lady & wish to be in a "safe" district where things are happening. What districts (I see they are numbered) are great for walkabouts? (probably all, but remember I am alone)
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:15 AM

Have you tried hotels in the 5e - Latin Quarter?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:32 AM

I can recommend one hotel: Relais St. Sulpice.

Also I stayed at an apartment that was wonderful and the lovely American owners have a couple of smaller apartments. Take a look and see what they have. I know you can rely on them to be honest and reliable. www.laciagleparis.com
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:36 AM

Which ones have you tried and have not had availability? That might help with suggestions. What's your price range?
I have stayed at these and would go back:
Grand Hotel des Balcons (near Odeon)
Hotel Monge (5e)
Hotel Muguet (7e)
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:37 AM

Look at the recent post "B&B in Paris Mom and Teen daughter" Good hotel in fabulous fabulous location mentioned there.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:50 AM
ira

Hi W,

Anything in the 4-7th.

What's your budget?

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:56 AM

What are the dates you will be in Paris?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:39 AM

Since your trip is fast approaching, I'd suggest you book a room you can cancel without penalty at a moderately priced chain hotel. That will give you a fallback until you find something that you really love. I like the Ibis Bastille Opera, which is 3 blocks from a Metro stop and within easy walking distance to the Marais (and Notre Dame). It costs 85 euros per night and has a decent buffet breakfast for about 6 euros more. Rooms are small and basic but have everything you might need.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:30 AM

Try Hotel de Notre Dame.
http://www.hotel-paris-notredame.com/

You won't find a better location---100 yds from Notre Dame. We've stayed there 3 times and it's perfect for us. About 155eu for double, single should be less.

Mdme Dominique replies very promptly to faxes.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Merci everyone....Jeanne B. I am waiting for Madame Dominque's reply. A few minutes ago, I threw in the towel and called the travel agent. We'll see who gets somewhere first. This travel business is damn difficult....I've tried close to 50 hotels and the time it took me to research, etc. is time I just don't have at this late date. Does anyone know of a "single's" group of tourists who would socialize & sightsee once in Paris? Tnx Wanda
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Jeanne B: there you go....mdm is fully booked. W.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM

Hotel de France,102 Blvd. de la Tour Maubourg, 7eme.

Hotel Duquesne, 23 avenue Duquesne, 7eme
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM
ira

Hi W,

>I've tried close to 50 hotels ...<

You are going at a time when there are many conventions in Paris.

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM

The problem is Sept is one of the busiest times of the year for Paris hotel bookings, and you waited until only a few weeks before going, and maybe are being picky on top of that. So that's the problem, unfortunately, you waited too late. Most areas of Paris would be safe, but I would stretch my standards a lot more than others but you couldn't go wrong by limiting yourself to 1 and 4-7.

Maybe some booking site that offers suggestions of availabilities, but maybe your agent will come up with something. I like the hotels in http://www.esprit-de-france.com/
for example. It shows three nice hotels with vacancies for four nights on 9/10 (and one is fairly reasonable for Sept at 110 euro), but none for 9/15. You don't really state your dates, but I think earlier is better than later in the month.

I think www.venere.com also gets back to you pretty quickly on availabilities. Of course, you can always try www.lastminute.com

I don't know about a group like that in Paris, but you shouldn't limit yourself to single people. For example, there is a group of mainly Americans (anyone can go) who gather on Thursday afternoons in a cafe for an hour or two (you can read about it on www.metropoleparis.com in the Cafe Club section) and that would be something to do. There are also the open-to-all Sunday dinners at Jim Haynes house. http://www.jim-haynes.com/
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

One more question before I DRIVE YOU CRAZY too. Some hotels want your credit card info before confirming availability. Why are they asking before I know whether I can stay there or whether I want to? Tnx in advance. W.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM

I've stayed at Hotel Muguet and Hotel Brighton - both nice and great locations. Muguest cheaper than Brighton, although popular so probably both booked
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:42 AM

I wouldn't give my cr card until I had a quote.

I checked www.laterooms.com and---you're right!---Paris is booked solid for those days. I found this:
HOTEL NEUVILLE (17th, near Arc)
$218 US per night, single
"Located on a quiet square in an elegant residential district, near the Champs-Elysées avenue and Palais des Congrès, this charming hotel completely renovated in 2003 welcomes you in a warm and intimate atmosphere. Rooms are air-conditioned and decorated with the greatest refinement in art-deco style. The bar and the lounge are the perfect place to relax."

Gets rave reviews on Trip Advisor. A/C could be very welcome at the time you'll be there. And there's a bar!

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM

You might try Hotel Royal Montparnasse. There is more than one Hotel Royal, but if you add Montparnasse to Google it comes up. It's at 212 Blvd. Raspail. My friend and I stayed there last November and I really liked it and the location. The rooms are very clean, the staff is very helpful, they have a lift. It's in the 14th, but a great neighborhood...restaurants, Monoprix, Franprix, bakeries, etc. Close to four metro stops and the Montparnasse train station so getting around is a breeze. Street markets close by, one on Sunday and the other on Thursday I think it was. Walkable to St. Germain and the river. A few blocks from Bon Marche and their great food court. Our room was about 140 euros. They may also be booked, but being in the 14th rather than the single digits may give you a chance.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM

jeanneb and I have the same idea..I was just on laterooms.com too and there are a few available.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:05 AM

Hotel le Clement 6,rue Clement... in the 6th...one block south of Blvd. St.Germain. tel:01.43.26.53.60
fax:01.44.07.06.83
[email protected] Happy Travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -