Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from South Kensington to Windsor?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2023, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 4 staying in South Kensington. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to get to Windsor using tube and train (and which train!). I see a Great Western Railway option, and also a TFL rail option. Not sure the difference? I'm would also like to be mindful of $. We will be traveling in early June.

Also, most "highlights"'' we try to book tickets for early, but I think my teens would enjoy having a more relaxed morning! If we book tickets at Windsor at 11:30 or noon, does anyone know if that would that be significantly more crowded compared to booking at 9:30am? If anyone can help, I would appreciate it!
Old May 19th, 2023, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tube to Paddington
GWR to Windsor
via Slough
seems simplest

what tool are you looking on
https://www.traveline.info/ is often a good place to start
or
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk
or
https://tfl.gov.uk/

but always
seat61.com

Last edited by bilboburgler; May 19th, 2023 at 08:31 AM.
Old May 19th, 2023, 10:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
From our 2017 trip ... "From the Gloucester Road Station, we took the tube to Paddington Station and boarded the train (8:22) to Slough, where we changed trains to head to the Windsor & Eton Riverside station. Short walk to the castle." If you don't stop the walk to the castle is only about 7-10 minutes. Eton is a cute little town, too.
Old May 19th, 2023, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! =)
Old May 20th, 2023, 04:24 AM

2 stations in Windsor

There are 2 train routes to Windsor from London; one from London Paddington and another from London Waterloo. You would probably be best going to Paddington. You will change trains at Slough and arrive at the Windsor station closest to the castle.
The town is always busier at the weekend so if possible go during the week. Book your tickets for the castle beforehand. Another nice option is to take a river cruise after the castle.
Old May 20th, 2023, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

I just went on to the GWR website for tickets for tickets to Windsor on June 2 -- this is the message I'm seeing:

"Industrial action to affect services on 2 June. This service may not run. Please check your journey closer to the date of travel".

I know there have been a lot of recent rail strikes. What should be my "Plan B" to get to Windsor that day?

Thank you all for your help!
Old May 20th, 2023, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

I just went on to the GWR website for tickets for tickets to Windsor from Paddington on June 2 -- this is the message I'm seeing:

"Industrial action to affect services on 2 June. This service may not run. Please check your journey closer to the date of travel".

On another part of the GWR website, it says "The Aslef union has announced a strike that will affect rail services May 31 and June 3 (*not my travel dates*), and the RMT has announced a strike on June 2 (*this IS my travel day*). So I'm unclear if this means there will be no trains on May 31, June 2 and June 3??

I know there have been a lot of recent rail strikes. What should be my "Plan B" to get to Windsor that day?

Last edited by laurarick; May 20th, 2023 at 01:08 PM.
Old May 20th, 2023, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by laurarick
I just went on to the GWR website for tickets for tickets to Windsor from Paddington on June 2 -- this is the message I'm seeing:

On another part of the GWR website, it says "The Aslef union has announced a strike that will affect rail services May 31 and June 3 (*not my travel dates*), and the RMT has announced a strike on June 2 (*this IS my travel day*). So I'm unclear if this means there will be no trains on May 31, June 2 and June 3??

So, the Train unions are on strike. I'd start to see if the Tube is on strike. If it is then look at the buses.

My belief is that the Tube is not on strike that day. So catch the tube to a bus stop and catch a bus or a taxi if money is not tight. There are so many options it is hard to choose, probably the easiest and one you are semi familiar with is go back to Heathrow and catch a bus from there.
Old May 25th, 2023, 11:34 AM

For Plan B I’d get to the Elizabeth Line (tube so not affected by train strikes) and take that west to Slough, which is a GWR train stop. From Slough it’s a quick taxi ride to Windsor. You can access the Elizabeth Line from Paddington…the entrance is off to the left of the station (looking towards the trains) and not where the rest of the tube lines are.
Old May 25th, 2023, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kmowatt! Forgive my ignorance, but with the strike, what would be be best way to get from our flat in South Kensington to the Elizabeth line? Taxi??
Old May 25th, 2023, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by laurarick
Thanks kmowatt! Forgive my ignorance, but with the strike, what would be be best way to get from our flat in South Kensington to the Elizabeth line? Taxi??
Options are basically
Bus, walk, short term hire of bicycle/scooter, taxi.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/santander-cycles
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ele...r-rental-trial
Old May 25th, 2023, 10:40 PM

Another option could be the National Express coach from Victoria Coach Station. Takes about an hour and a half.
Or keep checking the GWR website to see if they will be running limited services (and/or likewise SouthWest trains from Waterloo)
Or go to Windsor on another day.
Old May 25th, 2023, 11:56 PM

I can’t find any information to suggest there is another planned tube strike, so take the circle or district line from South Kensington tube to Paddington. Exit into the station and walk towards your left to find the entrance to the Elizabeth line. No need to worry about buying a ticket, you can simply tap in and tap out at the barriers with your credit card.