getting from salerno to sorrento

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know if there is ferry service or train service from salerno to sorrento; we are leaving taormina by train in april, 2004 and stopping in salerno because it's looks like it would be faster to get to sorrento than taking the train to naples and then back to sorrento; or is a car service or bus the only way to go
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:01 AM
GAC

The fastest way to go is by ferry, although I don't know the schedule and whether the connection from the arriving train would be any good. The SITA bus requires a connection in Amalfi, and travel time of nearly three hours (excluding time to connect). You may also be able to take a ferry to Positano, then the SITA bus to Sorrento. This would cut down your travel time to less than two hours (excluding time to connect). Also, the walk from the dock to the bus stop in Positano is not fun with heavy luggage.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:37 AM

The ferry up the coast from Salerno is subject to unpredictable weather. You could decide on the ferry versus SITA bus when you arrive in Salerno.

The ferry trip we took from Amalfi to Capri (it wouldn't stop at Positano that day -- too rough) was the seasickiest travel I've ever encountered.

The SITA bus ride from Salerno to Amalfi was spectacular. The bus stops right at the train station plaza three blocks from the sea, and you can relax and enjoy the view. The stopover at Amalfi is nice -- the buses park next to the seawall. That's the way to go! Plus, if you have a couple of hours, you can connect there with the Ravello bus, which runs every forty minutes or so.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 02:25 AM

Ciao Frank,

Stay on the train to Napoli Centrale then take the CV to Sorrento. For ferry information WWW.inaplesit for bus information WWW.sita-on-line.it for train information WWW.trenitalia.com for CV train information WWW.vesuviana.it
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:30 AM
ira

Hi frankie

That's www.inaples.it. However, I wasn't able to find any info about ferry schedules.

Can you help walkamalfi?

I don't have Salerno/Sorrento, but last year's schedule Salerno/Amalfi was

Salerno (P.zza della Concordia) ? Amalfi: 3.5 E 35 min
08,40 ? 09,40 - 11,30 ? 14,10 ? 15,30

The ferries to Sorrento will either be about the same times, or you will be able to connect at Amalfi.

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Excuse me Frank,the site is WWW.inaples.it,then click on transports,then click on ferries and hydrofoils and choose either metro del mar or caremar,both of which have orari or timetables.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:48 AM

The new timetables may not yet be available but you can at least get an idea from the Metro del Mar site of last years times.