Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting From Oslo Airport to the City Centre Late at Night???

Jun 13th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

I'll be flying into Oslo late at night. I should be arriving at 9 PM. Luckily, I won't have Customs to go through because it's not an international flight; I'll be flying in from another city in Norway. So, what are my options for getting to my hotel, located in the City Center, from the airport?

I know there are trains, buses, and taxis but, how many of those options are really options that late at night? I'm guessing that the train and bus routes stop earlier in the evening so, is a taxi my only, super expensive, option?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Jun 13th, 2014, 04:29 PM

Looks like the train runs every 20 minutes around that time, at least for the dates I checked. About $33 US.

http://www.flytoget.no/eng/trips/fraOsl
Jun 13th, 2014, 05:00 PM

I rode that airport express train from Oslo Central to the airport 8 years ago. I thought that it was covered by my Eurailpass because I boarded it like any other train in Oslo. But at the airport I was confronted by a turnstile requiring payment before I could get off the platform. That was NK 160 (~$25) one way at that time.

Have you asked your hotel for a recommendation. Maybe it has an airport shuttle?
Jun 13th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

I did contact my airport and they do not have a shuttle service, unfortunately. I was just worried about paying a lot of money for a taxi. I'm so glad that colduphere was able to provide the link to the train schedules. Thank you so much for the help.

Now, the question is this: once I arrive at Oslo S, should I get a taxi to the hotel or just walk? It should be a 10 minute walk to the hotel but a 6 minute ride in a taxi. I've heard that Karl Johans Gate can be a little....rough....at night; especially after dark. Thoughts on this?
Jun 13th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

I meant that I contacted the hotel*****
Jun 13th, 2014, 07:14 PM

You may need to ask several before finding a driver willing to take a short trip. But I've never known Oslo as a "rough" city. There may be a loud drunk or a few but they are normally harmless as long as you ignore them. I once saw the police cuff a drunk at the station.
Jun 13th, 2014, 11:40 PM

Oslo does have rough areas and a real drug problem. However I understand that tourists are usually left alone. We stayed in a hotel in a rough bit, but never felt threatened. It just wasn't that nice to walk there at night.
Have a look at http://www.flybussen.no/oslo/ and see what times the buses run and if they stop nearer your hotel.
Jun 14th, 2014, 05:45 AM

Hopefully you will get additional answers. But in the meantime we walked that route twice last summer at that time of night and there were a lot of people on the street. Having been mugged once I'm pretty paranoid but not there.
Jun 16th, 2014, 12:34 AM

You'll be in Oslo S around 10. No problem walking around in Oslo at that hour. Compared to almost any other capital in the world Oslo is very safe.

Alb
Jun 22nd, 2014, 07:17 AM

On a local flight allow about 30 mins to exit. You can take the local train from the airport - half price of the express and buses - much faster than buses and only a couple of minutes slower then the express but not so often - see timetables at https://www.nsb.no/en/ The ticket is good for free transfer to bus or tram for 2 1/2 hours so perhaps you could take a bus/tram to your hotel. In summer it is still light at 22:00 and there really are no worries about being down town in the evening. Buying the ticket from the public transport desk or Narvesen kiosk will save you battling with NSB ticket machines - you need a single ticket from zone 4N to zone 1 - see https://ruter.no/en/tickets/travelca...ng-the-ticket/