Getting from Naples to Capri (from Rome)

Jun 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Getting from Naples to Capri (from Rome)

I'm planning a trip to Italy next year and really want to visit Capri, even if it is for a day. I would appreciate your feedback/comments on first if it's doable and if the logistics noted below are good or if their is a better route to take.

- Train from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale, in Piazza Garibaldi (2 hours 10 min, early am departure)

- Taxi from train station to Molo Beverello Dock. What's the duration and is this the best dock to depart from?

- Hydrofoil from Molo Beverello to Capri (40-45 min) Which hydrofoil service should we use and can we buy tickets in advance?

- Depending on hydrofoil/train schedule route back to Rome

Thank so much!
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

forgot to add the following before the return trip back to Rome:

- Arrive in Marina Grande and take the Funicular which from what I've ready departs evey 15 minutes. Is the Funiciular easy to find once in MG? Assume everyone is going to be going in that direction.

Thanks again.
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM

The AV trains should be a bit faster (about 90 minutes). A taxi won't take long since it's really not very far to the port and they drive so crazy. I would be tempted to take the next available hydrofoil/ferry. Return ferry's don't run late so book your return also. Eat dinner in Naples and train back to Rome.

What time of year is your trip?
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Yes, the funicular is very easy to find just follow the crowd.
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

The timing of our trip will probably be June or July. I got the train timing from Rail Europe so what exactly is the AV train you refer to as it's going to save a huge amount of time for us; pls. send the URl if you don't mind. Also, have I selected the correct/best dock options? I haven't been able to find any URL's for the hydrofoil services to get ideas on the schedules. Would you have these?
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Yes, it's doable, and your plan for the day is OK. But, if you truly want feedback/comments, most people will tell you this just isn't a good idea.

You'll spend 6-7 hours traveling for, at most, 8-9 hours on Capri. You don't say what time of year your trip is planned, but at certain times of the year rough seas can cause the cancellation or delay of ferry service. A train delay from Rome to Naples is possible at any time of year and would just about make the whole day worthless. If your trip is in the summer, the island will be very, very crowded with tourists.

If you "really want to visit Capri," you should plan a couple of days on the island or at least in the Naples area.
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Check train schedules:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Check the ferry schedules:

http://www.capri.com/en/orari-traghetti
Jun 16th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Jean, thanks for your feedback. I realize that a lot of time will be spent on transportation, but we'll probably go for it as I'm not sure when I'll be getting back to Italy. How long would you say the taxi ride is from the Napoli train station to Molo Beverello Dock and is it possible to purchase the hydrofoil tickets the day of?
Jun 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM

You don't want to use RailEurope as they are a reseller. Use the link Jean gave for the Italian train system. AV trains are the fastest (check for Amica discount fares), then ES and ICPlus trains. All the prices on Trenitalia for AV/ES will include your seat reservation. To price tickets enter a date within 60 days (you can't purchase more than 60 days in advance).
Jun 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM

I'd estimate the taxi ride at 15-20 minutes in the morning and 10-15 minutes in the evening. There might be a taxi queue in the morning. I don't think you can buy advance tickets for the ferries, but perhaps someone else can chime in...?

I suggest you do this day trip mid-week and only if the weather is nice. Have a back-up plan in off chance the ferries aren't running.
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great information. Seems like I need to dig a bit deeper.
Jun 26th, 2008, 12:44 AM

hi, i'm alex and live in naples.

When you take a taxi, from the square in front of the station, ask about predetermined rates to go to beverello port. In this way, regardless of travel time, the price agreed at the beginning of the race is always the same : 9,50 Euros all inclusive if you take a taxi in a working day. (plus 1 or 2 euro max on sunday). Alternatively you can take the equally fast tram (line 1) in front of station that with a cost of 1 euro and 10 cents will take you at the same time the port.

For other tips write me! Have a nice journey.
ciao ciao
Jun 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM

We took the bus from Naples to Sorrento and then the boat from the Marina in Sorrento to Capri. Stay in Sorrento for a few days if you can - it is a great place. Been there three times in the last few years and can't wait to go back again.

Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great tips everyone. Alex, this is the first time I think I've heard about the tram so very interesting.