Getting from milan to venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK -- doing my research and looking into taking the train from Milan to Venice vs. flying. <BR><BR>Train information is hard to come by as the www.trenitalia.com web site is not active right now.<BR><BR>Does anyone have any useful information on how much it costs to take the train versus flying between the two cities?<BR><BR>Also, if we were to take the train, do we have to purchse tickets in advance or can we purchase at the train station?<BR><BR>We leave on April 26th.<BR><BR>Opinions are most appreciated! Lisa
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:27 AM

Paging Alice Twain. She can surely help you with this one.<BR><BR>I have seen it recommended that taking the train is better, and you can purchase tickets at the station once you're in Italy with no problem.<BR><BR>I'm sure you'll get more info from those that have done the route.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR><BR>
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:33 AM

LisaSusan - Last time I checked, Milan-Venice was<BR>EURO 21.00 2nd.class<BR>EURO 29.00 1st<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:37 AM

There are lots of trains from Milano to Venezia. The trains go to Santa Lucia station which is right on the Grand Canal. The fare depends on whether you take a normal train, an intercity or a Eurostar, but Italian trains are not expensive. Reservations are optional for intercity trains but are needed for Eurostars. In any case, you will be able to get tickets at the station, though you may need to be flexible as Eurostars can sometimes be fully booked.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:40 AM

We did the trip in reverse last year. Took an IC train, 1st class, and it was fine. Pleasant enough trip and good views of Lake Garda en route. We bought our tickets soon after we arrived in Italy (Rome). Had a rental car for our travels between Rome and Venice, and then trained to Milan from there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all -- do you know of any other sites to purchase tickets in advance other than trenitalia.com? That's the one recommended by Fodors.<BR><BR>Thanks again -- your input is helpful!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:46 AM

Purchasing the tickets in advance through the Internet would mean paying as much as a flight (well, not much less). My suggestion is taking the train. Eurostar second class is the best solkution for getting to venice. In two hours and 40 minutes you get to Venice, and the price is 20,66 euro per person. Intercity scond class, despite slower and far less comfortable, costs 22,16 euro, per person. if you are arriving in Milano in the morning, probably your best bet would be booking on the 12,55 or on the 14,55 (in case there are noseats available, you might check the 16,55 Es) train directly form the airport. This would allow you enough time to be sure that you can get yourself a seat even booking on the same day. In case therea re no empty seats on these train, you might check out the 13,05 Cisalpino train, the 14,05, 15,05, 16,05 or 17,05 Intercity trains (if comfort is an issue, I would suggest first class on Intercity, though I usually travel second class). Even in case there are absolutely no seats available on these trains (but I believe you will find seats on at least one of these trains) you may check the slightly slower than the Ic Interregionale trains (3 hours and 25 minutes from Milano to Venice) at 11,15 and 17,15, which require no booking. In any case I am abslutely confident that you will be able to book on one of these trains as you arrive at Malpensa. If you will have to wait for a few hours in Milano you might reach gthe center of Milano by Malpensa express, leave your luggage at Cadorna station, take a walk to the center of Milano (it will take you no more than 20 Minutes to reach the Duomo), go back to Cadorna after a little sightseeing and reach centrale station by subway (10 minutes) or taxi (the same 10 minutes). If you have but a short wait, take the bus from Malpensa Airport that will take you directly to Centrale station.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

thank you Alice. Great information!!!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:30 PM

I just did this trip two weeks ago, you can book ahead with www.raileurope.com . It's an American site that can fill you in on the details. We went first class for 3 people roundtrip for a total of 165 Euro. Very easy, left at 8:50am, arrived at 11:30am. Return 6:30pm arriving at 9pm in Milan. It was a full day, but fun and easy. Enjoy. Melissa