Getting from Milan to Cinque Terre

Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Getting from Milan to Cinque Terre

Can someone tell me if I am completely off? I looked up the train and saw that you can get a 2:10 train leaving Venice that arrives in Monterroso at 4:51. Someone else on this forum said that it would take most of the day (he left at 9:30 and got there at 3:30). I am anticipating three hours but now need to rethink this if I misunderstood the train schedule. Does anyone have any idea which is correct. Thanks, Sandy
Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:50 PM

I've used trenitalia.com and compared times on rail.ch and got all the info I need on times, types of train and stops/stations on the way.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:09 AM
Bootman4U

Are you traveling from Venice or are you traveling from Milan? Fastest connection I could find from Venice (S. Lucia) was 6 1/2 hours and that was using a Eurostar to Florence and changing.

Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:16 AM

Just a thought -- many Euro train schedules use a 24-hour clock. Be sure the train is really leaving at 14:10 (for 2:10 pm) and not 2:10 am! If a change of train is needed in, say, Genova, that would affect the timing too.

My 2 cents.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:59 AM

I'm confused by your question, like Bootman, but suspect that Venice was a slip up. Yes, you can get a direct train from Milan to Monterosso leaving at 2:10 PM and arriving at 4:51 PM. Most other trains require at least one change, but still take a total of 3 to 4 hours tops. On the other hand if you really are traveling from Venice (not Milan) to Monterosso, it will take the better part of the day -- maybe that's what the other poster was talking about.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:42 PM

I am planning on taking the train from Milan to Santa Margherita Ligure...how far in advance should I purchase my ticket? Can I do that from the US? If so, how?
Thanks!
Apr 24th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Patrick and Bootman, thank you. You are both right. I was talking about from Milan and not from Venice so your calculation Patrick was the same as mine. The other person was also talking about leaving from Milan but maybe he was just taking a leisurely, non-direct train or he just liked wasting time on trains. so I am assuming from your answers that I can correctly count on the information that I have. Thanks!! Sandy
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:35 AM

Save the Panda
You can ourchase the ticket a few minutes before leaving from Milano. If you also want to reserve a seat (and you _MUST_ ask very clearly for a seat reservation as you buy the ticket because otherways you will get a ticket that allows you to travel on that train but that does not grant you a seat) you will have to boom it a couple of days in advance, unless you will be travelling on a very hot week-end day (for instance in August), than you will have to book a few days more in advance (4-5 days). You can purchase tickets at any train station or at a travel agency here in Italy, do not buy them in the Us, they will just cost far more.
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:41 PM

It is impossible to get from Venice to Monterosso al Mare in the Cinque Terre in under 2 hours. From Milan to the CT takes 3-4 hours, given stops in Genoa and along the Riviera coast (usually Sestri Levanti or Levanto). You can take the speed train only so far - into La Spezia or even Genoa, but have to take a local 5-digit train down into the CT. I take the Milano-Riomaggiore route over 6 times a year and always plan on my trip taking me about 4 hours or so with stops.