Getting from LGW to LHR

Old Jun 29th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting from LGW to LHR

I am travelling to Italy in the fall using my AA miles. The flight from Venice is into LGW and then departs from LHR to the States. If my flight arrives from Venice to LGW at 12:40 and departs from LHR at 5:00 will I have enough time. Also, what would be the best way to get from LGW to LHR. Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM

BA also flies into LHR.

Pay a change fee, and not sweat getting there.

It's 25 pounds for the transfer. At today's rates, that's about $40 or so.

I believe the AA change fee is $50, unless it's changed recently. Pay the change fee, have your bags tranferred automatically, and cruise around LHR until your flight.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

I'm sorry, but can you explain what you mean by transfer. This is the first time we will be using our miles to travel overseas, so we are new at this. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I'm sorry, but can you explain what you mean by transfer."

You are flying into one airport and have to get to the other . . . a transfer.

If you used miles, there may not be any seats available for you to fly into LHR instead . . . But if there are, it is worth it to change your booking. Even if it costs $$.

As it is you have 4 hrs and 20 minutes between flights. That is doable, but not guaranteed. You cannot check your bags through so you have to retrieve them at LGW, take them to LHR, and check them there. Any glitch and you are SOL. If you miss the flight they should put you on the next available flight . . . But that might not be the same day.

The express coach connects the two airports and costs £25 as mentioned. But you'll probably have some waiting time.

The other option is pre-booking a car service but that will be expensive.

So - first I'd get on the phone w/ AA and see if you can fly in to LHR.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM

I would definitely try to change it...4 hours is not a lot of time and I wouldn't want the extra stress
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:46 PM

The other option is pre-booking a car service but that will be expensive.

If there's three of you then it's cheaper and even with two the additional cost isn't that high - but the best advice is to change the flight as then you won't have to pass through UK immigration, won't have to collect luggage, won't have to go through customs, won't have to...

... well you get the idea

http://www.heathrowairport.com/trans...tween-airports

www.simplyairports.co.uk

www.handicars.co.uk

www.justairports.com

www.exclusiveairports.com

www.swisscottagecars.com

www.expressways.co.uk
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 12:17 AM

There's about one BA flight a day from Venice to Heathrow, and it's by no means certain there'll be award seats available.

It's not the case that you're "SOL" if you miss the connection. Assuming One World has "guaranteed" the connection (ie you've booked both flights at the same time through AA, and there's nothing in the small print saying otherwise) so if you really ARE too late, one or other is required to put you on the next available AA or BA flight. There are several other BA or AA flights to New York later in the afternoon, so you've probably chosen close to the least painful flight to miss.

Under almost all circumstances, the bus from Gatwick North Terminal to the drop off for Heathrow T3 (five mins from T3 checkin desks) takes between 60 and 90 mins and departs every 10-15 mins: the journey time is exceptionally reliable (though on weekdays from around 1600 there'll be a ten minute bit where you'll be convinced you're never going to get there on time. You will), and taxis can't go any faster or take any clever short cuts.

But to repeat: if you have to use Gatwick your bags will not be automatically transferred to Heathrow
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 12:20 AM

With the time you have it's possible - but absolutely not certain that you would make your ongoing flight. If the incoming flight is late or there is a lot of traffic chances are you will miss your ongoing flight.

Is this a single ticket or separate ones. If separate you might well have to buy a ticket for the ongoing flight at the walk-up (VERY expensive rate).

I would try to fix this now.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! THis is one flight booking the AA, so I would assume that they would have to get us on the next flight if we missed due to their lateness. There is no availabilty on the Venice to LHR flight. I think we will book a private car service and hope for the best!
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 08:13 AM

If you can travel with only carry on luggage it will make a big difference to your timing....and you will be much happier!
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I would assume that they would have to get us on the next flight if we missed due to their lateness"

Not necessarily the next flight. The next available flight. Transatlantic flights tend to run pretty full. So you might end up on a flight later that night . . or a day later. They usually won't bump someone else to get you seats.

BTW - Missing your flight might have nothing to do w/ them being 'late'. If you dawdle at LGW, if the baggage conveyor belt has a glitch, if there is a wreck/tie up on the M25 (the main highway between the two airports) or any number of things can bite.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Agree the next availalbe flight might be the next day. Every flight from europe I have been on in the last year or so has been eithr completely full or almsot. Ans those flying on free tickets go to the end of the line versus paying customers.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, the best that one can say about this is that it's not ideal.

[pause for admiration of british understatement].

good luck, christine.