getting from Frnkfort to Stuttgart

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am being told it will cost us more for one person to take the train from Frankfort to Stuttgart than for three of us to fly from Stuttgart to Rome. Is there a less expensive way to get to Stuttgart?

Also we will be in Frankfort, staying at the Hotel Hessischer near the Frankfort Gift Show. I'd appreciate any restaurant or tourist suggestions for Frankfort. Our primary business will be at the show, but we have a day for sight seeing prior to going to Rome....and of course, we have to eat! I understand the hotel is across the street from the Messe Frankfort

I have booked GermanWings Air from Stuttgart to Rome - total of $179 euros for three of us in an exit row and checking three bags - sounds too good to be true!
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 01:37 PM

You can find connections and fares of German Rail at
http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml
Try FrankFURT when searching for connections. It would be a long long way from Kentucky to Stuttgart by train otherwise

If you can book in advance, you might be able to get €29 saver fare from Frankfurt to Stuttgart.

Your Germanwings fare is pretty normal for booking far in advance.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM

While the standard 2nd class fare for Frankfurt-Stuttgart is 57 euro, the cheapest advance purchase Sparpreis fare is 19 euro. Book up to 90 days in advance on the site given by Cowboy1968. Sparpreis tickets are non-exchangeable and non-refundable so be sure you can commit to a specific departure date and time.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Three of you can use the Quer-Durchs-Land-Ticket for 44 euros by regional trains - approximately 3.5 hours from Frankfurt to Stuttgart.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: S

Set the "Means of transport" to "only local transport". Must be after 9AM if you are traveling on a weekday. Buy the ticket the day of travel from a DB machine.

Regards, Gary
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 08:03 AM

If you happen to be going from Frankfurt to Stuttgart on either a Saturday or a Sunday and are willing to take regional trains, you can buy a Schoenes-Wochenende-Ticket (Happy Weekend-Ticket) which will cover up to five people for 37 euro and is good any time of day. No need to wait until 09:00.

However, IMO, the best combination of price and travel time is the 19 euro Sparpreis fare on ICE trains that make the trip in 1.5 hours.