German States websites

Search

German States websites

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German States websites

Does anyone happen to know the website for the Hessen rail? I've used bahn.de and found rmv.de and the bavarian site but can't get the one for hessen.
Reason I ask is i'm trying to find the cheapest way to travel from Frankfurt Airport to Rothenburg. I was trying to find if paying for a ticket to edge of Bavaria (Kahl I think) and then getting Bayern ticket for the 2 of us would be best. I think the fare on bahn.de (F to Roth) is about 31 euros a piece. Bahn.de won't give the price for Frankfurt Flughafen to Kahl or Hanau though to help me see if we can do it cheaper. We will be doing this on a weekday so weekend national ticket is not an option. Saving every little bit helps with our crappy dollar conversion!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM

The Rhein-Main Verkehrsverbund is
http://www.rmv.de/

Also you can refer to
http://www.dashessenticket.de/
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:34 PM

www.rmv.de is in fact the site you need.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:51 AM

At €29 the Hessen ticket is one of the most expensive of the Länder-Tickets, and it won't get you any farther than a €6,60 RMV one way ticket to Kahl. For two people, the least expensive fare to Rothenberg (or anywhere in Bavaria) is two RMV tickets to Kahl and split a Bayern-Ticket from there. That's €20,10 per person. You can also get a €29 pP Dauer Spezial fare and save some time with express trains, but it requires advance purchase and commitment to a specific train, so it isn't so good for people arriving on flights to FRA.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Larry.
That fare from Frankfurt to Kahl was what I was looking for to see how cheap it was. That Dauer Special is nice if we are already there but too risky with our flight into Frankfurt I think.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:29 AM

>You can also get a €29 pP Dauer Spezial fare and save some time with express trains

If you can get a standard ticket for 31 E (full flexibility) or for 29 E (without any flexibility), what makes more sense?
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:19 AM

The €31 (actually €30,60) fare is by regional train; the €29 fare uses express trains. So, if you DON'T NEED the flexibility, why not save some money, and spend less time and ride a more comfortable ICE or IC in the process?

A better question would be, why spend €31 when you can spend €21 for an RMV/Bayern-Ticket and ride the same trains?

I don't recommend the Dauer-Spezial fare for someone arriving on a flight and going directly to Rothenburg, but if you wanted to go first for a couple of days to Bacharach, the Dauer-Spezial fare from Bacharach to Rothenburg is still only €29.

Also, although MoneyB03 is only going to Rothenburg, the same €29 Dauer-Spezial fare applies to travel to Munich, for which regional fare is €49,40 and direct ICE fare is €85.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:55 AM

€ 29,- DauerSpezial fare - yeah, sounds great - if you get it. Be warned: These things sell out extremely quickly, so book very well (read: at least two months or more) in advance.

I've just tried to get one for a trip in mid January. No chance on my route.