GETTING COLD FEET!

Search

GETTING COLD FEET!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GETTING COLD FEET!

Any recent info on not terribly expensive restaurants in Rome and Venice. We're a family of six and the Euro is like WOW!!
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 11:19 AM

There are tons of inexpensive restaurants in rome. We just had lunch wherever looked good when we got hungry - and never had a bad meal. And any of them would have been fine for dinner - although we did plan more of those.

Venice is more of an issue - not in terms of price - but due to the fact that there are quite a few bad restaurants - due to the influx of tourists - few of whom seem to be be albe to tell good food from bad. There we asked in our hotels (bellmen - not the concierge) and found a lot of good inexpensive places through their recos.

We did a couple of more expensive dinners - two of which were great - and one unacceptable (that was the last time we askd the concerige for a reco). When we complained to the concierge he apologized - said he didn;t realize we were from NYC - or he wouldn't have sent us there.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 11:23 AM

If you are looking for cheap meals, look for taverno caldo places. These have the food in a glass case, and then they heat it up.

One cheap place I found was Luna Caprese on via Rasella (it's a short street). You could get a large serving of pizza and a large serving of lasagne for 7 Euros total, and it was pretty good.

Normal restaurants that you will see on the way are usually reasonably priced, for Europe - but it will still add up to a lot for a family of six.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM

It's been a few years now, but if I remember correctly the best meal we had in Rome was also one of the cheapest. It was at a place called EST Est (I think). We usually eat at small neighborhood places and do not spend a great deal of money for food. I make no apologies for the fact that after a week in Europe I long for a Big Mac and fries. Most days we get a loaf of bread, cheese and wine for our lunches. We always take the money we save on meals and splurge on a great dinner the night before leaving for home.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 12:52 PM

In Rome I always stay at the Hotel Julia. The location is great as you can walk to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona and others in 5-15 minutes. The hotel is on Via Rasella. You can do a Google search for their website. No cheaper or better located hotel in Rome.

The hotel provides a free buffet breakfast that is very good. If you walk down Rasella from the hotel towards the Trevi Fountain for about 2 or 3 blocks about a block before you reach Trevei Fountain on the right you will find a small family owned restaurant. I don't remember the name but it is only open for about 10 hours during the day and closes about 6 pm. Outside of the place you will always see street merchants selling cheap, junky leather goods. This is a great place to get a great homemade lunch. There is always a selection of about 6 or 8 entrees made fresh daily. The prices are about the same as a McDonald's. Also on the street facing the front of Trevi Fountain you will find three or four budget priced restaurants where you can get a cheap meal at a McDonald's range prices. Food is not fancy but good. If your hotel provides a free breakfast you can get lunch and dinner at the above restaurants and your food costs will be about the equivalent of $20 per person per day. If you want to do Rome cheap but well this will do it for you.

Have fun in Rome. I like Rome better with each visit.

Larry J
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 01:36 PM
ira

Hi Al,

Would you be happier going to Orlando?
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Don't just wander around and pick restaurants randomly. That's how we ended up with the only bad food on our entire trip! There is bad food as well as wonderful food in Rome. And the bad food sometimes costs more than the good food.

I highly recommend you buy a copy of Rick Steves Rome guidebook, or Rick Steve's Italy guidebook. He has the best recommendations for inexpensive and good food with good atmosphere, especially for Rome!

Pizza costs less than other foods, but for good pizza you should still bring recommendations.

I have a restaurant review for Rome on my computer if you want to write to me I can send it. But please put Rome restaurants in the subject line, because I pre-screen my e-mails by the subject line so I can delete junk mail. [email protected]

Good luck!

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Same in Venice. There are reasonably priced places with good food, but there are also bad restaurants. The bad ones are concentrated along Daytrippers' Alley--the route that more-or-less follows the Grand Canal from the train station to P. San Marco.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:42 PM

altour, for Venice, visit the Jewish Museum caffeteria for lunch. That's a nice, cheap place to eat and you can sit down without an extra fee.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 05:01 PM

And a dose of reality here . . the € was introduced at 1.20 to the buck . . . it is now 1.29 to the buck.

While is did drop for a while, it is hardly a reason to stay awake at nite worrying about the cost of eating out!

Rich
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:29 AM

I did all of the research and went to Rome armed with tons of suggestions, and we still never had a great meal. The food in Rome was the only disappointment of the trip.

That said, we didn't have any awful meals--they were all just kind of average. The little pizza places are cheap for lunch (particulary with kids), and they are all over the place.

If you want pastries for breakfast, buy them to take away from the cafes. They are about 50% cheaper that way than if you buy them while sitting in.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Rosa Rossa very near La Fenice on the way to Rialto bridge. Very reasonable and very good food.
ira

Hi ann,

>...we still never had a great meal. The food in Rome was the only disappointment of the trip.<

Where did you find great food?

Sorry, that's in Venice! (just in case!)
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:50 AM

This is such a subjective topic. Totally depends on what you consider expensive and what you consider good. The "foodies" would be appalled at what I eat when I travel but I enjoy myself very much. In Italy pizza is wonderful, lots of variety, you can order it by the slice and everyone can get the kind they want. That makes for some very cheap meals. In Rome I had the best Chinese food I think I've ever had (on the street between the Pantheon and Trevi fountain). In many Italian cities, including Venice there are cafeteria style restaurants that are quite inexpensive. Like I said, most people want a lot more out of their Italian eating experiences but if you are not fussy you can certainly eat for a lot less than the "average" tourist spends and still enjoy yourself. Personally I prefer to save my euros for the gelato.