Reload this Page >

Getting around Venice

Search

Getting around Venice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:41 AM
joni

Getting around Venice

How much of a hassle is it to get from the Venice airport and/or train station to St. Mark's square? And, has anyone flown from NYC directly into Venice? thanks.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:36 AM
SiD

Far as I know there's NO direct flight to Venice from North America.<BR><BR>As for train station to St. Marks Sq, just take a ferry(bus) and it will take you 10 mins. YOu can definately walk it also, that would take 30min NYC power walk. It's VERY easy to locate there's arrow pointing to St. Marks Sq. I recommend taking the ferry once and walking the other times, you can definately enjoy walking and crossing the little bridges.<BR><BR>By the way Venice is an INCREDIBLE city!!!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:52 AM
Dale

Delta has a JFK-VCE evening flight.<BR><BR>Take the Aliliguna boat from VCE to Piazza San Marco. It leaves every 45 minutes or so and costs about $8. The trip takes about 45 minutes.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:17 AM
jcv

It's an easy, short and pretty vaporetto (water bus)ride from the train station to St. Marks. Only 3-4 dollars, cheaper if you get a several day ticket. Right up the Grand Canal, under the Rialto Bridge and on to the Square. Don't confuse the vaporetto with the water taxi (teak decks and MUCH more expensive). As you come out of the train station the vaporetto stands will be right in front of you at the canal. I believe the one you want will be on the far right but check the clearly marked signs. Enjoy!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:47 AM
me

The vaporetto stop is right outside the airport, as are the water taxis. If you take a taxi, get the price in advance.<BR><BR>Flights started going nonstop NYC to Venice a few years ago. Most other change in Milan.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:55 AM
Geoff Hamer

The direct boats from the airport are run by www.alilaguna.com. All other boats and buses are run by www.actv.it.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:59 AM
vaporetto

The regular vaporetto from train station to San Marco takes more like 1/2 hour--not that this is a problem as the scenery is sublime! Is there some sort of express vaporetto that goes directly to San Marco?

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:10 AM
dan woodlief

Another thing about the Alilaguna boats: The Venice airport is tiny. You walk right out the terminal door, stopping at a desk to purchase tickets, and right onto the Alilaguna boat. It couldn't be easier. There is an ATM in the terminal if you don't have currency on arrival. It will take you around the outskirts, passing by Murano on the way, and drop you right at St. Marks. I imagine arriving via the Grand Canal would be more spectacular, but the Alilaguna ride has decent views.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:11 PM
karen

just came back yesterday. we were going to take the aliguna to the airport but you need to know it only runs once an hour and starts at 9:24 am and ends at 6:24 pm. it tiakes about 45 minutes and costs 10 euro per person. we ended up sharing a taxi with another couple. we were at different hotels and the total cost was 100 euro -- our half was 50 and we were glad for it as even though we were close to a vaporetti stop -- 3 stops away from san marco -- we had to lug our luggage up and down the steps of the bridges. also the pavement is not flat so it's not that easy to wheel it.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:21 PM
Maurice

We flew from NYC to Paris and back from Venice to NYC.<BR>In both cases, we flew NWA/KLM to/from Schipol Amsterdam and then a smaller jet to CDGaulle, from Marco Polo in Venice. <BR>The fun cheap way to the airport was from the pier in front of St. Mark's by boat. About $9, or L17.000 if I remember.<BR>If you're in Venice 3 days, there's a 3-day vaporetto pass too - L35.000, or about $20US. Very convenient!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:28 AM
Geoff Hamer

There are two Alilaguna routes from San Marco to the Airport, identified as the red route and the blue route. The schedule is on www.alilaguna.com. The red route leaves San Marco about every hour from 0420 to 2235.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:55 PM
William

Can you get the multi-day vaporetto pass at any station, or must you go to a ticket office.<BR><BR>I think I read that the Aliliguna ride to the airport has a discount if you have the vaporetto pass.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:55 PM
joni

many thanx to all who responded; this info is very helpful. btw, yes, I do know about the direct flight from NYC/JFK to VCE - Alitalia/Delta flight.<BR>OK, now on to hotels. Has anyone stayed at Hotel Ateneo (near St. Marks Sq.) Found it on the internet...sounds lovely; small, intimate, and not too expensive. Would like to get a rec though. Looking for good off season rate 3 or 4 star.