Getting around Rome

Feb 1st, 2001, 06:46 AM
carol

Getting around Rome

I will be going to Rome in April and was wondering is it am easy city to get around? I found the subways in Paris and London great. How about rome train or bus?

Feb 1st, 2001, 07:36 AM
Ed

Bus service excellent if often a bit slow because of traffic. Metro is more limited than other systems, but helpful for such points as Metropolitana) is useful, and quick, for some destinations (e.g. the Vatican, Pza. di Spagna, Colosseum and Forum, via Veneto/Pza. Barberini, Pza. del Popolo, EUR, Ostia.) Same tickets/fares for the Metro as for buses.

More info on getting around Rome at www.twenj.com/rometwob.htm

Ed

Feb 1st, 2001, 08:00 AM
howard

Depending on where you stay, you can walk to almost all of the major spots. There is a metro stop at The Vatican which is about 2-3 miles from the old part of the city.

Feb 1st, 2001, 12:51 PM
Shanna

We walked everywhere. Took a limo to the airport, but otherwise went all over the place on foot. It wasn't raining or too cold.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 10:48 AM
Jim Tardio

The subway takes you to, or close to, all the major sights. We stayed about a block away from the Colosseum, and there was a station right accross the street.

If you'd like to see some photos from Rome and other parts of Italy, visit my website: www.jimtardio.com

Have a great trip!

Feb 2nd, 2001, 02:09 PM
coco

We, too, almost always walk everywhere (should be especially nice in April=not too hot) and then sometimes take a taxi back to the hotel...they are really not too expensive (probably less than $10 between most spots in the old city) and easy to flag down. The buses are way too crowded for my taste, and slow. Have to be honest, have never tried the subway!

Feb 2nd, 2001, 03:11 PM
Thyra

We also walked around Rome, though we did take a "Hop on Hop Off" bus tour, with narration to get the lay of the city. The one thing I will say about Rome is you need a very good map. Somethings were not as clearly marked as we found them in other countries. We ended up taking a lot of wrong turns. Have a great trip.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:14 PM
Patsy Klontz

I will add my affirmation that Rome is more difficult to navigate than Paris or London. Get the best map you can find. The metro will get you close to lots of significant places, but when we were there in November, seemingly a slow season in every other way, the metro was usually claustrophobically crowded. A carefully chosen hotel will allow you to walk to most sites and thereby limit your need to take the metro often. The city is incredible, though. Worth every effort necessary to see it. Patsy

Feb 2nd, 2001, 09:33 PM
rlk

The subway in Rome is much more limited than in Paris or London --- believe the problem in expanding the system is because every time you dig a hole in Rome, you often strike some kind of ancient find. Therefore folks do rely more on the bus system --- it's decent, but it can get crowded & often is standing room only.

It is a great walking city. And so, I'd suggest choosing a strategically located hotel.

Feb 5th, 2001, 07:34 PM
dan

Carol:

My vote is for the foot and cab modes. It's a great walking city, suprisingly compact and the cabs are cheap. We would take a cab from the hotel to the area we were focusing on for the day, walk around, then cab back at the end. Never spent more than $7 with tip on a cab. There were three of us (including a child) so the cost vs. a bus/train was minimal and worth the convenience IMHO. Never set foot on a bus or subway, and many here and in guidebooks have mentioned that pickpockets, purse snatchers, and other scamsters frequent those modes, so beware and be warned. Ditto on a good detailed map, streets changed names it seemed every block.

Buon Viaggio!

Dan