Getting an injured spouse from Garmisch to Frankfurt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2011, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife broke her leg skiing in Garmisch last week. Surgery's done and I'm planning to fly over to accompany her home the middle of next week. Plan to stay in Garmisch for a couple of nights and then head up to Frankfurt and fly home from there. Considering renting a car for the drive and dropping off at the airport, but the train may be a better alternative. She can't put more than 20kg of weight on the leg so the car seems like a better alternative since that provides me with a little more control and less worries navigating train stations, etc. Appreciate any and all suggestions. Txs.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 11:39 AM

Trains usually have stairs... then you have to walk down narrow aisles to your seat. Then there's
all the walking in stations.... I'd say car would be best by far.

Hope she recovers fully!
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 11:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
jonrad - are your insurance co helping out with this?

having broken my leg myself, though not skiing [and been non-weight-bearing for about 2 weeks, which is the stage your DW is at] i would not contemplate the train at any cost. it's just too difficult to get on and off with other people around and have you worrying about her, and the luggage.

luckily you are within Germany for the entirety of your journey so you shouldn't get stung for excessive drop off fees with your one-way rental.

hope this helps, and that your DW isn't struggling too much,

good luck!
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 03:13 PM

It is not a bad drive. I would drive it. Steps up and down to trains would be difficult. If you have not been to Garmisch, it is beautiful. You will enjoy it.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 03:17 PM

It isn't a bad drive at all, and much easier than dealing with the train while injured. If your wife is up for it, there are some nice stops along the way.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 07:37 PM

I agree with driving instead of train. Check with Gemut (Seattle). They are very good at helping in special situations, such as recommendations as to the type of car you may want to get. They are consolidaters and their rates are also very good.

Suggest you take the autobahn Garmisch - Partenkirchen to Munich and the Munich bypass Autobahn A-99 to the Autobahn A-9 (Munich - Nuernberg). Depending when you get away from Munich, you may want to overnight in Rothenburg. To get there get off the A-9 north at Exit 55 (Allersberg) From there head to Roth, Allersberg, Windsbach. Get on the Autobahn A-6,heading west at exit/entrance#53. This pleasant back road avoids Nuernberg. Take the A-6 to the intersection with the A-7, and head north to exit#108 (Rothenburg). I would allow 4- 4 1/2 hours for the trip G-P - Rothenburg. Spend the night there. Then continue on the Romantische Strasse (Romantic Road)to Bad Mergentheim - Tauberbischofsheim - Wertheim. From there, drive along the Main river west to Miltenberg, and pick up the B-469 north to the Autobahn A-3. Shortly after Miltenberg this road becomes a limited access 4-lane divided highway (a Schnellstrasse). Take the A-3 west to the Frankfurt airport.

There is an all-autobahn way (A-7 to A-3) to go from Rothenburg to the airport, but it is known for its traffic jams across the Spessart mountains between Wuerzburg and Aschaffenburg.

There is a hotel inside the FRA airport, or the Steigenberger Avance Hotel across from the airport, with short shutle ride. Neither are cheap, but very convenient and very decent hotels.

Good luck, or as the Germans say "Hals und Beinbruch", although your wife had already the latter.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 11:44 PM

Usually I am in favour of trains but in your case the car is indeed the only sensible means of transport. There is an important bit of information to consider: Next week there are construction works on the railway line between Garmisch and Munich, the line is interrupted and there is a replacement bus service. That means getting off the train at one point, hurrying for the bus that is waiting outside the station, travelling a short distance on the bus, then getting off and hurrying into the station for another train. Definitely not a wise idea with crutches and a broken leg.

Best wishes for your wife!