Frankfurt to Cochem

Search

Frankfurt to Cochem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Frankfurt to Cochem

We are flying into Frankfurt from JFK in September with our first stay being in Cochem. We plan to rent a car at some point in our 10 day trip but would also like to try the trains. Wondering what would be the best way to get to Cochem after an overnight flight. I haven't wrapped my head around all the different trains yet but not sure if driving that far after the flight is wise. Can I ask what what trains we would need to take and if there are many car rentals in Cochem if we decided to start driving from there?
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<i>Frankfurt to Cochem
Posted by: ontheroadagain2013 on Jul 7, 13 at 6:24pm
We are flying into Frankfurt from JFK in September with our first stay being in Cochem. </i>

There are plenty of trains from Frankfurt airport to Cochem. Use the German Rail site http://www.deutschebahn.com/en/start.html to make a selection and maybe even buy your ticket. For an illustrated introduction to trains in Europe see http://tinyurl.com/eym5b. If you haven't driven there before you are in for an experience, especially in Germany. See http://tinyurl.com/3bc2ax to get up to speed.

There are most likely several auto rental offices at the Cochem Bahnhof. Contact your favorite auto rental companies and shop around.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That seems to be a very reasonable thought by spaarne.

We have driven that route from the airport and it probably took something under three hours.

If you hired a car at the airport you have to understand your limitations after a night flight.

Have a great trip.

P.S. So easy to drop off the car at the Frankfort airport on returning home.
Old Jul 7th, 2013, 04:29 PM

"We plan to rent a car at some point in our 10 day trip but would also like to try the trains."

Germany's train system is pretty much unparalleled for a country its size. Almost anyplace you'd want to visit is served by train. If you WANT to drive or have special needs (baby, mobility problems, too much luggage to carry) or want accommodations in remote locations (hilltop castles, for example,) then a car might be a better choice. But train service is extensive, frequent, and efficient - and usually cheaper too if you plan thoughtfully and take advantage of the best deals.

If you decide to rent, be careful about obeying speed laws to the letter - lots of radar devices everywhere. Don't rent from just any outlet - there's a glut of shady operators. And DUI laws are also very strict. (On trains you can picnic and share a bottle of wine on the way!)
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 05:40 AM

Bringing this to the top....

We are also arriving from Frankfurt and going to Cochem by train. I am in quandary whether to chance it and purchase the tickets in advance for a mere €19/person or get the more flexible ticket for €34/person. Our flight arrives at 07:20am and there is a train that leaves at 08:58am. Opinions appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM

Joy C: You are right to avoid the savings fare, which you may have to forfeit if there's a delay.

That fare at 8:58 is actually 36€ each according to the DB website - 72€ for two.

If you want to save some money, you can still have flexibility and do the trip for a price of 34.50€ for two by using the local/regional trains. On most days, there's a 9:24 train that gets you into Cochem at 11:56. To find this train at the DB site, you must specify "only local transport" under "means of transport" - it won't come up as a possible itinerary otherwise. Later itineraries on local/regional trains will pop up as well.

Now, the price for this ride, if you also enter two adult travelers, will pop up as 50€ on weekdays. This price is based on using a "Quer durchs Land" daypass for two (44€ for one + 6€ per additional traveler) sold by DB. But the DB site won't give you the 34.50€ price I told you about...

You can get the cheaper price of 34.50€ if you buy two separate tickets:

1.) The RMV (local transit authority) sells tickets at FRA ticket machines for use on local and regional trains to Mainz for 4.25€ each; you'll find that price at the RMV fare-finder after you enter "Frankfurt a.M. Flughafen" (which is FRA) as your start station, "Mainz" as your end station:

http://www.rmv.de/auskunft/bin/jp/qu...ion=TARIFFONLY

(Einzelfahrkarte - single ticket.)

2.) The ticket machines at FRA will also sell you the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket daypass for two (22€ for one +4€ per extra person.) Use this pass to travel from Mainz to Cochem on the local and regional trains.

http://www.vrminfo.de/en/tickets-and...-pfalz-ticket/

These tickets will be valid anytime after purchase on the same day. (The R-P ticket on weekdays is valid only after 9 am, not a problem in your case.)

All the local and regional trains leave from the Regionalbahnhof station at FRA.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 05:26 PM

Wow!! Russ, thanks so much for the detailed explanation and for giving me another option of which I was not aware of. So very helpful!!

Much appreciated.

Joy