Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheap Airlines between Frankfurt and Dusseldorf

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 08:34 AM
shannon

I will be using my frequent flyer miles to get from Pittsburgh to Frankfurt --my husband has done this trip several times and feels like flying between Frankfurt and Dusseldorf is the easiest/quickest way to come and go compared to the train.

Apparently the lines to check in at Frankfurt and quite long and they don't differentiate between seating classes or airline miles status like they do in the states (US AIR). Plus the return flight leaves at 11:45am and with the train and the necessary EARLY check in/wait...he feels I may be pushing it to get an early enough train out of Dusseldorf etc...

His trip is covered by work and will include his transfer to Lufthansa between Frankfurt and Dussledorf (RT). However, we looked up flights for me on Lufthansa and they weren't cheap.

Besides Lufthansa...what carriers should I look into for prices/schedules??? How far in advance?

We are going the end of September 18th-28th.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Geoff Hamer

Nobody flies from Düsseldorf to Frankfurt - they're too close. When the new high-speed rail line opens later this month, the journey from Düsseldorf to Frankfurt airport will take about 1 hour 25 mins. Try www.bahn.de.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Hans H

Unfortunately, the IC3 goes just to Cologne, not Düsseldorf. But from Cologne to Düsseldorf it's a short trip and trains go a few times each hour.
I doubt that you will find a cheap flight from Franlkfurt to Düsseldorf and I would also recommend the train.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:11 AM
judy

Shannon:
The psoters are correct, the only way to go is by train. Unlike the US, the german train system is extensive and much swifter for trips between most cities in Germany. Dusseldorf and Frankfurt are too close to be done by plane. Trains are frequent and the Frankfurt airport has it's own rail station.

I am confused by the wording of your question, though. Are you heading for Dusseldorf after landing in Frankfurt or will you be in Dusseldorf already, looking to get to the airport for your flight?? Lufthansa does do the train to the airport bit, so call them and ask about train connections to your return flight if that is what you are doing..

Hope this helps,
Judy no longer in Germany

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 01:27 PM
shannon

I fly in and out of Frankfurt in Europe.

I will be leaving my husband in Dusseldorf so he can stay and work for 2 weeks before coming back to Pittsburgh. SO we just need to get me back home.

IF I take the train I spend a lot of extra time waiting in line whereas if I fly out of Dusseldorf I don't have to deal with my luggage and wait in a 2 hour check in line.

It looks like there is a 6am train that leaves out of Dusseldorf to Cologne and then the ICE to Frankfurt. I would get in around 8:15. About the only way I would have enough time. This is a flight my husband has taken out of Frankfurt 6+ times. He is fairly familiar with what the Frankfurt airport is like.