Gers - Gascogne

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Gers - Gascogne

We're preparing a short trip to the Gascogne (Departement du Gers) en France.
As we don't have too many days, I would like to know what is, in your opinion, the most beautiful area in Gascogne: Armagnac, Lomagne, Auch,...?
I would like also to know which are the towns and villages you consider the most beautiful.
Thanks for your information.

Àlex
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 12:14 AM

I saw this yesterday and passed on. It's an impossible question, because one person's beauty....

Gascogne, incidentally covers a huge amount more than the Gers. Mostly the countryside is rolling agricultural with splendid views to the Pyrenees, but you have lovely little bastide towns, fields of sun flowers, the cathedral at Auch, the nearly cathedral at Mirande, the wine country round Madiran, with little villages like Viella, some completely out of the way spots mere inches from a town or village.

Galan is particulraly pretty as is Marciac, IMHO.

Have a look at

http://www.gascogne.fr/

PS. My flight leaves in 3 hours, so if anything strikes me when I'm there, I'll add a bit
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Dear Alex:

I have spent a bit of time in Gascogne and it is one of my favorite regions. In particular, Auch is a fine town (some might call it "dowdy", but I like it fine). From Auch, try driving north and northwest to Fleurance, Lectoure, Larresingle,and Condom. Delightful villages with fabulous, rib-sticking food and all the Armagnac you want to wash it all down with, along with Buzet (red) or Cote de Gascogne (white)..

Drop me a line if you need some more advice..

Regards..
Luis
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sheila and Luis for your information. It is very useful for me.
We are prepairing a short stay in this area and we think that we're going to stay in the area near Condom, Fourcès, Larresingle.
Can you suggest any hotels, chambres d'hôtes or restaurants there? Any other places to visit?
Thanks again,

Àlex
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:08 AM

ttt
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:13 AM

We recently stayed in St Clar, about 15 minutes from Lectoure, 40minutes from Condohttp://www.lagarlande.com/uk/guest_room.htmlm, in a very charming chambre d'hotes

We stayed in the room called 'Bagatelle' which was charmingly decorated, huge (there is an anteroom with bathroom before the bedroom itself) with view over the arcades. The house is magnificent, the owners very pleasant, and I think they do speak English.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 04:45 AM

I can't recommend anywhere in particular to stay round there, but we visited Eauze on Friday, and thought it very pleasant.

We went to see an Armagnac producer just outside the town and had a fantastic time. I'd recommend that.

http://www.swfrance.com/armagnac/dlp.htm
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Alex:

In Auch, you can opt for the Hotel de France right next to the cathedral. About 20 mins away from Auch in Castera-Verduzan, there is a delightful restaurant: Le Florida and just down the road a few hundred feet away is an inn called Tenareze. Both are owned by the same people. The food, prepared by Bernard Ramouneda is wonderful; nouvelle versions of classic Gascon cuisine.

Hope this helps..

Luis
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again

Àlex