Germany's Christmas Markets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a short 10 day trip (8 nights -2 days of travel) for my wife and I in Germany to visit some of the Christmas markets. After reading information and reviews for many days I have a game plan and a few questions and appreciate comments and sugguestions.

I'm not a big siteseer and would much rather visit the less traveled or crowded markets. From what I've read I think I would like medieval and old style markets. I also would like to see a couple of the older castles, maybe the hot springs, and the medieval crime museam. We both love Christmas and everything that comes with it. The trees, orniments, decorations and maybe a little snow.

We will be most likely flying into Frankfort. I would like to see the markets in Strasbourg, Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Weisbraden. Several friends told me we needed to go to Munich also. With that in mind I came up with this plan. We land in Frankfort and take a train right to Strasbourg. Spend 2 days in Strasbourg, 2 in Munich, 2 in Rothenburg, and 2 in Weisbraden.

Here are my question ?
1. Is this realistic for 8 days or do I need to cut 1 stop out ?
2. Can we get to each destination by train only.
3. Would I be using the same train so I could buy a weekly pass if they have one ?

Thank you for any info you can provide,

Bob
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:14 AM

I think your schedule is realistic but none of your proposed destinations offer "less traveled or crowded markets" -- they are all rather well known.

Using a train is easily doable. Che

The München Mittelaltermarkt is great. Locals like to get dressed up as Medieval Lords and Ladies and hang out there. Definitely worth a visit.

Bamberg has a small Mittelaltermarkt. They serve hot Glühbier. It's pretty tasty.

My town has a nice, small Mittelaltermarkt as well. I Love hanging out by an open fire drinking Glühwein or hot mead.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:15 AM

Check http://www.bahn.de/i/view/DEU/en/index.shtml for rates.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 12:14 PM

I would rather go to Bamberg than Rothenburg. (I know this is a sacrilege but is my opinion.) Roth. has the big Christmas store(s) but Bamberg is so much more charming (to me.) Munich and Strasborg sound good. I have no opinion on Weisbaden. Wherever you go, you will have a good time.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM

We saw the market in Vienna to begin with, and it was amazing. Smaller markets are in Passau and Regensburg, and those were delightful. The one in Nurenberg is nearly as big as Vienna's.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Where and what is Weisbraden???
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would NOT spend two days in Rot-ob-Tauber...one would be more than plenty IMO. You want "jammed" then that's the place to be.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 01:46 PM

If you're interested in Christmas markets and old castles, I think that Nuremberg would be a good choice. It's anything but less crowded but the castle is very impressive (it's from the middle ages and was one of the seats of the emperor). There are also some very interesting museums.

It'd also fit quite easily in a journey from Munich via Rothenburg back to Frankfurt.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 01:47 PM

"Where and what is Weisbraden???"

Probably Wiesbaden.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

I listed the 4 cities that I would be staying in a hotel. We will then brach out for the day to other places, Bamberg, Mainz, Baden-Baden and Nuremberg.

So far your comments are great. I'm hoping to go everywhere by train and then a short walk to the markets or attractions. Is it possible to buy a rail pass for the week ?
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I meant Wiesbaden. - sorry.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 02:03 PM

Strasbourg has a great market, along with the very cute Colmar, 20-30 minutes away by train.
They even sell champagne, foie gras and snails. It would be easier for you to fly into Paris then change planes onto Strasbourg. Spending three days allows for you to adjust to the time change.

Nurnberg is my choice due to it being smaller, very charming, with canals everywhere, a walled town with outstanding food. The children's Christmas market is cute enough for young and old to visit.

You can still take an hour train ride south to visit Munich's market, which spans many, many blocks. Most U.S. air carriers fly direct flights out of Munich , which makes it convenient for you to return home instead of taking another train to Frankfurt.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 04:56 PM

My favorite Christmas markets are 1)Munich 2)Nuremberg 3)Salzburg 4)Vienna. Although I think Vienna has the most beautiful Christmas market ever, Munich and Nuremberg have so much more to offer.

I took a bus tour around Nuremberg and really enjoyed the history. If you are interested in history, I recommend the movie "Triumph of the Will" (1935).

Then there is the small, beautiful town of Oberammergau, Germany, that is so pleasant to visit during the Christmas season.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 07:25 PM

The best medieval market is going to be in Esslingen, just a short train ride from Stuttgart.

For a large market but with a less crowded feel, like you will get in Nuremburg, Frankfurt or Munich, give Stuttgart a try. Truly a beautiful market and because it is spread out through the entire city, you never have to do the market shuffle, inching feet along, fighting the crowds.

I like the Mainz market better than Wiesbaden. If you give us your dates, I can post a list of the smaller towns around Frankfurt that will be having just a weekend market. These are wonderful, and a complete opposite to the big city ones. Towns like Idstein, Marburg, Seligenstadt, Bad Homburg, Büdingen, Gelnhausen, and more. If you will have a car, then the historic Christmas market at Burg Ronneburg would be well worth a visit, but they only hold it on weekends.

Rather than Baden-Baden, you can also visit the historic thermal baths in Wiesbaden or in Bad Homburg.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 06:08 AM

I can't believe no one mentioned this already. Go to Frankfurt, not Frankfort unless you are going to Kentucky.

That aside, I visited Christmas markets in 2011 - my trip report (as well as others reports on Christmas markets, among other trips) is at www.bensbauernhof.com. Ben's site has great info on Germany travel.

The Rothenburg market is very small, but I have no trouble spending multiple days in the town. Since you want to visit the Crime museum, then you will certainly want to visit R'burg.

You can get everywhere by train. Check out bahn.de (and select the USA as your country). If you can select specific trains, then getting tickets about 92 days in advance can be great savings. For example, I am going from Frankfurt to Gengenbach (just across the Rhine from Strasbourg) and purchased a ticket for my wife and I for 29 euros (plus 8 for reservations). This fare is better than the inexpensive passes and I will be going on one of the express trains, not just regional trains.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 07:59 AM

In you planning, try not to go to Nuremburg on the weekend. The market is good and a lot of fun but not with the weekend crowds.