Germany Train-Quer-Durch-Land Ticket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Researching train system in Germany. We are on an organized tour in May. The last night will either be at a hotel in Mainz or Wiesbaden for departure from Frankfurt airport. Thinking about extending one day to travel to Cologne to see the Cathedral and few other sites. Since there will be five of us, the Quer-durch-land-tkt seems to be our best option. My question, do you just purchase this on the Bahn website and that is all we will need to get on the train? Thank you.
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 02:55 PM

Yes, and after you printed the ticket, write the names of all in your party on the print-out. Take ID with you (though it's not often checked for this type of ticket).
And hop on the train.
You buy it here:
https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/...-germany.shtml
(I assume you already know the restrictions, e.g. regional/ local trains only, not good before 9am on weekdays etc.)

P.S. I did not check if a combination of two state-wide tickets vs. the national one would be even cheaper. Yet the saving might be more in the vicinity of a few euros than any meaningful amount.
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 05:29 PM

You're going to be spending around 6 hours or more on those regional/local trains if your plan is to leave from Mainz or Wiesbaden and return in the pm. I would choose a different outing. What will you already have seen closer in? Anything?

If you use that Quer... ticket I would NOT buy it online and print at home. You can buy it at the station on the day of travel. Refunds of pre-purchased tickets are not possible if you change your mind for any reason.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 07:36 AM

The old city and the cathedral of Mainz are fine. No need to go up to Cologne for that. You may also visit the famous cathedrals of Worms and Speyer, much closer to FRA airport than Cologne.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I am aware of the train restrictions. I have read how wonderful the Cologne cathedral is. And I wanted to see if I could do the train on my own for a future visit to Germany (practice run). Have not researched anything in Worms or Speyer but will consider this. Actually I would love to go Burg Elitz Castle. Would that be doable in one day from our location of Mainz or Wiesbaden?
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 01:14 PM

Would that be doable in one day from our location of Mainz or Wiesbaden?>

Very - train to Koblenz and change for train to Moselkern - walk the few miles up to Burg Eltz or taxi or shuttle bus. Probably about 1.5hrs max each way on train - get the ticket you are talking about.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 01:26 PM

And I wanted to see if I could do the train on my own for a future visit to Germany (practice run)>

Well direct regional trains do take nearly 3 hrs each way but it is super easy to do - use the special ticket and with six folks on board you may not get bored - on the return bring any food or drink (booze) on board and relax!

Cologne is a nice city besides the cathedral -nice walks along Rhine - famous museums and one of Germany's very best pedestrian shopping zones.

And yes just seeing the gargantuan Gothic cathedral is a joy -right smack dab next to the main Cologne train station!

Trains at times run along the Rhine though it is an industrial area a lot of time.

Regular fare on high-speed trains of course much much higher than that special ticket.

go for it!
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 03:29 PM

Hmm, Eltz is a pretty long trip from Mainz if you're using the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket day pass - around 4 hours round trip and also the 2 hours walking:

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/burgeltzfrommoselkern.html

Why not combine a river cruise and a castle visit? First, take the train from Mainz to Bingen - 20-30 minutes. The cruise from Bingen to St. Goar is the best and takes 1.5 hours. St. Goar is the home of Rheinfels, a mighty castle destroyed by the French and in ruins now but still interesting and majestic. Visit the museum and "Schatzkammer" there and take a self-guided tour. Then you can see St. Goar and later catch a train back to Mainz. And maybe you have time for visiting Oberwesel or Bacharach on the way back to Mainz.

Oberwesel has an old town wall - take a walking tour to check out all the towers:
http://www.oberwesel.de/en/wandern0/stadtmauerrundweg/
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for input. Will research further as our departure is not until May 2017. May have a question or two in the future.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 06:02 AM

www.k-d.com for Rhine river boats -no need to pre-book.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 08:33 AM

there are also K-D boats Koblenz to Cologne if you want a longer (but not awesomely scenic) flat- take the regional trains back.