Lake Como and Lake Garda?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning Northern Italy for May. We will fly in to Venice ending in Milan. We have definite plans to stay in Lake Como and Milan as we will be visiting friends there. We start in Venice and I am leaning towards Verona for 5-7 nights as a base before heading to Lake Como. We have stayed in Como before and I am wondering if we should take a day trip to Lake Garda if we are going to be in Como. Is it similar enough that we should put our time elsewhere.

I also plan on going into the Dolomites. I haven't decided yet whether to do it as a day trip from Verona or to stay a couple nights in Bolzano. We don't like to move around too much when we travel and the towns in the Dolomites sound more like ski towns and not so great for overnight stays.

Appreciate any input!
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 12:09 PM

Ever been to Trento? Absurdly low rates at the Grand Hotel Trento with an excellent breakfast buffet which is included; great meals at the Antica Trattoria due Mori.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 01:15 PM

Lake Garda is practically next door to Verona but a long commute from Lake Como so day trip there from Verona.

are you going by train or car?

I'd spend a few days on Garda - lots of nice things -get a day boat pass- better than car -can easily flip around lake from side to side.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 11:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know people make a day's drive into Dolomites from Bolzano. It's a barely a taste of the area but better than never seeing some of the spectacular scenery. Staying in a town IN the Dolomites would be much better, and several are not ski oriented at all. Castelrotto, for example. IMO, Trento and especially Verona are too far for a single day in the Dolomites.

If you've only stayed in the town of Como on the lake, you'd find the northern end of Lake Garda quite different. Malcesine has both a castle and a cable car to the mountains overlooking the lake. Spectacular views.

I like Verona a lot, but 5-7 days there would be too much for me. Personal preference, but I'd rather spend 1-2 days there and the rest in the Dolomites. Then you could drive to Lake Como on a northerly route and south along the shoreline to your final destination. More interesting than autostrade.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 06:19 AM

"the towns in the Dolomites sound more like ski towns and not so great for overnight stays"
Who told you that nonsense?

Lake Garda is just along the way from Verona to Milan or Lake Como.
One of the best itineraries from the Dolomites to Milan goes all along Lake Garda, as said above.

If you really want to see a bit of the Dolomites, go from Venice to Belluno - Cortina d'Ampezzo - Falzarego Pass - Alta Badia - Bruneck/Bornech or Val Gherdeina/Val Gardena - Bolzano/Bozen - Madonna di Campiglio - Riva sul Garda - Salo - Brescia - Iseo - Sarnico - Bergamo - Milano.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 09:45 AM

Cortina d'Ampezzo>

Loved Cortina - just what you may be looking for! Easy to get to by train and bus from Verona via Padua I think.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 10:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Day trip to Lake Garda from Verona. It is different from Lake Como. Both are beautiful but not similar.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 10:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cortina is very nice and has great views, but I'd rather stay in a smaller town. Seeing anything beyond Cortina by public transportation would be almost impossible in a 1-2 day stay, so I highly recommend having a car.

I like neckervd's route, but I think the most spectacular pass is Giau so I'd traverse that one between Belluno and Cortina. However, this itinerary would work best if you stayed in 2-3 places along the way which was something you said you didn't like to do. Your call, but I think it would be worth it.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 09:11 AM

If you go to Lake Garda SIRMIONE is a lovely place to visit at the southern tip. We have been to the dolomites several times, can recommend it without reservation. As long as you don't mind driving the scenery is spectacular.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 09:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Towns in the Dolomites are not like ski towns. Wrong information.