Germany itinerary

Sep 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Germany itinerary

We will visit Germany in November with our adult daughter. I know that I am late but am just beginning our itinerary and would greatly appreciated feedback. We will have a couple of days in Berlin before our daugher arrives and then will stay a couple of days with her as well.We will rent a car for part of the trip and am trying to decide if we should rent when we leave Berlin or when we depart Dresden. I want to go to Wittenburg and first thought we'd spend one night but now realize it should be done as a daytrip from Berlin because if we do it enroute it seems as though we would need a car so that we have a place to store our luggage and Lutherhouse is closed on Monday the day that we would be driving. I think we would also like to visit Potsdam and unfortunaely it is closed on Mondays as well. I have read that there are 2 palaces and gardens. Since it will be late November I doubt that the gardens will offer much, and would appreciate thoughts on visiting the palaces without the gardens in bloom and considering other palaces that we will visit?
What is train travel to Wittenburg or Potsdam like (cost, time etc)?
With 3 of us do you think we should pick up the car in Berlin or when leaving Dresden?
What about a place to stay near Frankfurt's airport with a 7 AM flight?
What are your thought on the itinerary???
Do we stay the extra day in Dresden to head to Nurnber?
What are your thoughts about Bacharach?

This trip is a bit more rushed than I would like but it what time my daughter has available. I will so appreciate your thoughts.

Nov. 21- we arrive in Berlin
Nov 22-Museum Island
Nov 23 -our daughter arrives in afternoon
Nov 24 (Saturday) sightsee Berlin
Nov 25 day trip to Dresden
Nov 26 (Monday) sightsee Berlin
Nov 27 Tues-drive or train to Dresden- I think if we drive we might stop at Potsdam depending on feedback from you folks
Nov 28 Wed.- Dresden-Green Vault and maybe Zwinger museum or Frauenkirche
Nov 29- Do we stay another day in Dresden or drive to Nurnberg and stop in Bamburg enroute???
Nov 30 We want to be in Nurnberg this day as the Christmas market starts. I think we would also visit the Nazi Documentation Center
Dec 1 (Sat)To Munich stop at Dachau on the way into town
Dec 2 Deutsches Museum and possibly Residenz Palace
Dec 3 Drive to Fussen an visit Hohenschwangau Castle and Neuschwanstein, We also wanted to see Linderhof Castle but I do not think we'd have time since they are only open til 4 in November. POssibly we could do one the next morning.
Dec 4 drive to Rothenburg and possibly stop in Dinkelsbuhl and do the NIght Watchman tour that evening
Dec. 5 spend the day and night in Rothenburg
Dec 6- To Wurzburg and tour Residenz Palace for Eng. tour at 11 or 3 and then drive to Bacharach or spend the night in Wurzburg
Dec 7 & 8 Bacharach or St Goar- visit Marksburg Castle and Rheinfels Castle if weather permits
WE fly out of Frankfurt early on Dec 9th and our daughter flies out a few hours later so unfortunately we need to stay near the airport since we will be the ones that need to drop a car. Any suggestions for this????
Dec
Sep 24th, 2012, 09:18 AM

Just a few quick thoughts.

Nov 25 - you probably mean day trip to *Wittenberg*, not Dresden. Seriously, I'd skip it, unless you're very much interested in the Martin Luther sites.

I am torn on Potsdam's parks and palaces. The parks certainly are not overly exciting in late November, unless it has just snowed - that would be very nice and romantic. In November only a few of the buildings are open, but I'd try to see at least the main palace and one other. However, you can still do that by train, no need to drive.

If I am not totally wrong the Christmas market in Dresden opens Nov 29 (Thur), so it would be another very nice experience. Oecumenic service in the Kreuzkirche, procession to the market, opening show with stollen tasting etc. Quite different from Nürnberg's.
Sep 24th, 2012, 11:45 AM

Some random comments:

We are staying in Mainz for a Frankfurt flight as there is a direct train connection and it is under 30 minutes. It looks lovely and we are booked in the Hilton there in November.

We really enjoyed having a private guide during two of our visits to Berlin. It is such a large and diverse city and it was great having someone to help us design a day around our specific interests. We were very pleased with Jeremy Minsberg.

Have you checked out the Berlin Welcome Card? We find it a good value as we use public transport quite a bit and we opt for the version that includes Museum Island. visitberlin.de

The Christmas markets in Berlin will be open for part of your stay: http://www.visitberlin.de/en/keyword/christmas-markets
Our favorite is the one at Gendarmenmarkt.

Do not miss KaDeWe, all decked out for the holidays.

We did Dresden as a day trip during our last visit to Berlin. It was in late November and the Christmas markets were open. We enjoyed it.

In 5 trips to Berlin, we have yet to make it to Potsdam. Since we are headed there in December this year, it will not be on our list.

Linderhof Castle was one of our favorites and we visited on a day trip from Munich a few years ago.

Wurzburg is quite lovely and would be a great choice for a night or two. We try to avoid changing hotels and cities as much as you will be on your current itinerary and base in a few spots and make day trips instead.
Sep 24th, 2012, 01:36 PM

Lots of people like Potsdam, I didn't see the big attraction. Sanssouci was lovely but it didn't really move me.

Why are you making a daytrip to Dresden only to return to Berlin that day?
Sep 24th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Ingo was correct I meant a day trip to Wittenburg.We are Lutherans so am interested in stopping in Wittenburg. I will check on Dresden's opening for the Christmas market.
Kfusto, what is KaDe We???
Sep 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Ingo, I think the Dresden market starts Nov. 30th, please let me know if you have a source that says differently
Sep 24th, 2012, 09:06 PM

Actually, the Dresden Christmas market opens 28 Nov.

http://www.dresden.de/en/05/08-Christmas.php
Sep 24th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I had actually just discovered that as well. I had written one of the hotels and they said the 29th and then I looked on the TI site and it said the 28th.
Sep 25th, 2012, 01:29 AM

http://www.kadewe.de/en

It is a large department store that is lovely at the holidays and the 6th floor gourmet floor is amazing. It is a regular stop for us and the restaurants there are very good.
Sep 25th, 2012, 03:15 PM

In my humble opinion the Alpine portion of Bavaria is one of the real highlights of the territory you are covering. By making an adjustment here and there see if you can squeeze in another day or two for that part of the vacation. Salzburg can be done as a daytrip out of Munich. Other highlights are (from East to West, sort of) Mittenwald (the violin maker's village), Garmish (cablecar up the Zugspitze if the weather is clear), Ettal Monastary, Linderhof, Oberammergau, Wiesekirche, Neuschwanstei/Hohenschwangau. Some people would also throw in Herren Chiemsee, Ludwigs Island version of Versailles on the road fro Munich to Salzburg and Bertschesgaden near Salzburg.

where to steal a day or two, Rothenburg is great but one night will do it.

November 24-27 is confusing back and forth between Berlin and Dresden .... ?

The Nurmburg Christmas market is big and fun. The angel with the golden hair and golden wings is there every day so it is ok if you miss opening day. The Albrect Drurer house is close to the Christmas Market and an interesting stop. Enjoy the Nuremburg Gingerbread and trio of sausages. Speaking of sausages be sure to try the half meter sausages in Rothenburn. They are also very big on Schneeballs in Rothenburg. Not my favorite but ... When in Rome.

When you go to the Christmas market in Munich it is easy to find the big one at Marien Platz and the Krippen Market (creche figures) and Viktualien Markt (farmer's mrket and more). They are all right together. Be sure to seek out the Mideavel Market about 3 blocks from Marien Platz (Munich's town center).
Sep 26th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Aisleseat, the confusion with back and forth to Dresden was my error, I meant Wittenburg. We were just in Salzburg and Berschesdagen this summer so will not do that this trip. I am going to repost a revised itinerary.thanks to all of you.