Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Germany - Italy Itinerary, feedback please

Germany - Italy Itinerary, feedback please

Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Germany - Italy Itinerary, feedback please

Hi everyone! Could you provide feedback on the following itinerary? This is for five adults, next Fall. My husband and I visited Rome last year for 8 days and spent 1 day in Florence. There's a side trip to Rome in here where I will be the tour guide to my mother and my cousins while my husband stays in Florence visiting some museums and galleries.

I am also going to post on the Germany forum so I can get some ideas for side trips out of Munich. We are going to base ourselves out of Florence for most of the Italy portion of this.

Day 1 - arrive in Munich at 10:40 AM - Oktoberfest.
Day 2 - Munich
Day 3 - Munich, side trip
Day 4 - Train to Florence
Day 5 - Day trip to Parma
Day 6 - Day trip to Sienna
Day 7 - Day trip to San Gimiggiano
Day 8 - Day trip to Lucca
Day 9 - Day trip to Bologna
Day 10 - some go to Rome, some stay in Florence
Day 11 - same as day 10, Rome group comes back to Florence.
Day 12 - Florence
Day 13 - Train to Venice, sight see in Venice
Day 14 - Venice / Burano
Day 15 - Venice / Murano

Notes, this itinerary assumes that on the same days we take the side trips out of Florence we will come back early enough to visit around Florence.

Are any of the side trips just not worth it?

I have allowed one full day in Florence so that three people can go see the David. My husband and I did this last year and don't care to go back to it.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:54 AM

The money your group of four spends traveling to Rome TWICE would be better spent on one overnight in a hotel there.

All your daytrips from Florence are worthy destinations. I suspect some may tire of so many daytrips out of Florence and prefer to relax one day.

In Venice I think you could do Murano and Burano on the same day. I would probably steal a day from Florence and give it to Venice.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:32 AM

Be aware that your train Munich-Florence will pass through Bologna on the way.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:24 AM

Hi Monica,

Is there some reason why you want to stay in Florence for so many days, yet leave the city almost every day?

How about dividing your trip a bit more between major cities and countryside? If you want to visit other parts of Tuscany, how about staying outside Florence for 4 days, renting a car and doing your daytrips that way?

Just a thought!
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
ira

Hi M,

There is only one Europe Forum. No need to repost to "Germany".

Are you flying home from Venice?

With such a short time in Venice, I suggest skipping Murano and Burano.

Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:37 PM

There are so many great things to see in Munich itself, with only a couple days, I would spend them in Munich rather than taking day trips.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:00 AM

To make it easier, stop in Bologna when coming from Munich. Stay 2 nights there, to include your day trip to Parma (much nearer to Bologna than Florence). The, move to Florence and proceed with your plan.
Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:15 AM

I think your agenda for daytrips out of Firenze is ambitious if you plan to rely on public transportation and make it back to Firenze for more sightseeing the same day. If you plan to rely on a rental car, it's a nightmare driving out of and into Firenze every day.

I suggest you cut out Bologna and Parma, and use those days to explore Firenze. Understand that a day trip to Siena, San Gimignano and Lucca will consume the entire day.

You might take one of your Firenze days and add it to Venezia or Munich.

Dec 24th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Oh, to be clear, we are staying in Rome when we go down there. Yes, the money we would spend on trains will be better spent at a hotel there. Plus we have a great place to stay. Loved the B&B we stayed at last year.

I prefer to base ourselves out of one location (Firenze)especially because of my mom. I think it will be less physically demanding that way. If it was just my husband and I think we would stop at Bologna on the way to Venice.

Yes, we do fly home from Venice.

Murano, I want to go because of the glass. Got a few pieces in Rome last year, and want more now! Thinking of skipping Burano then.

Parma/Bologna, I am a chef, so these are just must see from a culinary perspective.

Now, Lucca is the one place I know the least about. Would this be the one day trip to cut if I was going to cut one?

Thanks!
Dec 24th, 2006, 04:35 AM

I'm still unclear if you are planning to drive in and out of Firenze each day or use public transportation. I strongly recommend against a car.

Both San Gimignano and Siena are steep hilltowns. Siena is really a historic city, quite large with many, many things to see indoors and out. It is easy to get to by bus from Firenze. San Gimignano is much smaller, but it is harder to get to and is most often overrun with tourists.

Lucca is simple to get to and is absolutely flat. It is a uniquely well-preserved, upscale walled city, that many people appreciate for its tranquility and shopping. It also has several lovely churches and unique towers.

I suggest you play it by ear, mood and weather.
Dec 24th, 2006, 05:43 AM
ira

Hi M,

>Murano, I want to go because of the glass.<

Unless you are a really serious collector and have an appointment with one of the artists, you can do just as well perusing the glass shops in the city.

Dec 24th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Or you could return the store you liked in Roma.

I
Dec 24th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

We plan on public transport to do the day trips out of Florence... are there train routes to the towns I mentioned?

That is great to know about Murano.... sounds like I will be better off in Venice for glass. Would still like to see the glass making process.

How's the shopping in San Gimiggiano?
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:41 PM

<<I prefer to base ourselves out of one location (Firenze)especially because of my mom. I think it will be less physically demanding that way. >>

Yes, not changing hotels many times is less physically demanding. However, your Florence schedule suggests dragging your Mom out of the city on public transportation for trips of more than an hour in each direction for five days in a row. Perhaps two locations would be less physically demanding in this case.(stefm's Bologna suggestion to ease visits to Bologna and Parma is an excellent choice.)
Dec 25th, 2006, 05:24 AM

If your travel is going to be scheduled in order to include September, and you want to see the glass-making process, you can do it when you are in Tuscany, stopping in the town of Colle di Val d'Elsa on your way to San Gimignano or Siena.

Colle di Val d'Elsa is the Italian main producer of lead crystal glass. Its crystal artwork fair "Cristallo tra le mura" is scheduled for all September weekends, based in the medieval district of "Castello".

More info can be found here:

http://www.zerodelta.net/fairs-and-f...-the-walls.php
Dec 25th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link, will check that out.

Did some more research last night. Based on that and your replies I am leaning towards renting a car for two days to do the side trips. One day do Parma and Bologna, and the other day do San Gimignano and Sienna.... this may be a better option.

I understand there's a parking garage near the San Lorenzo apartments, where we plan to stay. I also understand, non-Florence residets can park there.
Dec 25th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Bump

Search this Thread