Germany in April

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 12:44 PM
Kendra

Germany in April

I'm thinking of visiting Germany next April (hopefully avoiding some of the crowds that invade in the summer). Is the weather decent in April? Will trees/flowers be blooming? Speaking of crowds, how crowded will in be in April? Is this a good time of year in general to visit or would it make a drastic difference to wait until May?

We'll be visiting the Rhine area, Rothenburg, Fussen (Ludwig castles) and Munich.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 01:38 PM
Richard

Kendra, In 1998, we cycled the Romantic Road, from Rothenburg od.T. to Fussen. This year we cycled from Titisee, in the Black Forest, to Freiburg and then down the Rhein to Koblenz and then up the Mosel and Sauer to Luxembourg. I mention the bikes because we are very much aware of the weather, which was wonderful, it's Spring so trees are budding and flowers are everywhere. A great time to go, we had one rainy afternoon each year, otherwise our rain gear stayed in our panniers. Crowds were non-existent, even in towns like Rudesheim and Rothenburg.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 01:44 PM
Richard

Kendra, A P.S., both times we arrived Germany April 21 and left May 12.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 09:26 PM
D.B.

Go for it! See the should try to be at ? post. Be sure to sign up for a boat ride (Rhine/Danube, whatever).

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 07:53 AM
Kay

I was in Germany in early April and found it cold, but that's because I now live in Texas. I know on a Canadian scale, where I once lived, the cold was nothing! so, it kind of depends where you are from. Things were not in bloom but the weather was tolerable and the crowds were absent. That's why I prefer to travel in the shoulder season. Admittedly it is not as pretty. But the ambience isn't hurt by too many crowded, exhausted travelers sharing a tiny little museum with you that begs for peace and quiet. I think it's a great time to travel. Rothenburg even had a little snow on the ground, so it looked pretty. But, not flowers, and worse yet, no leaves.

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 10:10 AM
Kendra

Thanks for the advice. I just realized that I would be going over there during Easter next year. I'll probably wait until the first week of May to go. Any experience with the crowds during this time period?

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 03:44 PM
Barbara

Germany in April
We spent the month of April in Germany this year. There was still lots of snow.
It was very crowded over Easter. Rained
a lot. We have found that October it much better. We hit a snow storm going
into Switzerland. But other than that
roads were good. No problem finding
places to stay except over Easter week-4
end.

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 06:23 PM
topper

!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 06:06 AM
topper

!