Search

Germany Day trips from Neuschwanstein area

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany Day trips from Neuschwanstein area

Hello!

Does anyone have an idea if driving from Fussen area to the Wurzburg castle & Heidelberg castle is possible as a day trip from the Neuschwanstien castle area. I am planning about 3 or 4 nights in that area, with the first night and second day being consumed w/Fussen & surrounding area. Day 3 would be the Heidelberg/Wurzburg area-going back to Fussen for the night-I think. I have done some mapping, it looks possible on paper, but what about reality?

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 01:52 PM

Heidelberg is definitely too far and Würzburg is also quite some distance. Even one of them is no day trip that would make sense from Füssen. Do I understand correctly that you are planning to do both in one day? These two cities are nowhere near each other. Even on paper this does not look possible to me. You'd spend the entire day from the crack of dawn till late in the car, with zero time to get off and walk and actually see these places.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

ok, Thank you. I guess we will plan one night in one of the two areas. Then head to Fussen area for a few nights. That was the original plan, I was trying to skip one hotel room.

Thank you!
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
J62

I like to use www.maps.google.com. You can plug in starting point and destination and google maps will show you driving distance & time.

It shows about 3hr drive Fuessen to Heidelberg. Six hours round trip for a day in Heidelberg doesn't sound fun to me.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:44 PM

Where are you coming from before Fuessen and going afterward? Wurzburg and/of Heidelburg might make more sense as daytrips from another of your destinations, depending on where those are.

I'd definitely not make a day trip from Fuessen though - in addition to the long drive, there is a lot to see in the Alps themselves without driving half way across Germany.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

We were going to fly into Frankfurt from the States. Heidelberg and Wurzburg weren't high priority-just wanted to show my family where I lived for a few years. The rest of our travel is Fussen, Switzerland & Italy. I can't figure out a way to work those 2 locations in sensibly!
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 01:49 AM

So which route are you planning to take from Frankfurt to Füssen? You can cover one of the two on the way (not both, though, because they are in different directions) with only a minor detour. Going via either Würzburg or Heidelberg is doable.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:46 AM

I'd definitely consider stopping at one or the other on the drive from Frankfurt to Fuessen. It is a reasonably long drive anyway, so you'll want to break it up and after being on the plane, everybody will probably appreciate the opportunity to wander around.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

*sigh* Well, we have now changed the route-that was pretty low on our priorty list of travels, and I really wanted to have more time in Switzeralnd & Italy. So, now we are in the beginning stages of finding flights into Munich or Naples-depending on which end of the trip works out best by price, as we are actually departing Europe from Madrid (this is a quick stop to say hello to family-not really travel too much). So-on to flights and better itinerary!

Thank you for the input!!