Reload this Page >

Germany-Best time to travel and avoid the crowds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Sharon

Hi. Folks. What is a good time to travel to Germany and not during MAY to October-Tourist season. Thanks.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Russ

I like March and April - driest time of the year, most tourist stuff available after April 1, not too hot or too cold, usually, a few blossoms on the trees, Germans optimistic about life again after a long dark winter

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 03:16 AM
notsure

A lot would depend on what you wanted to do and see while here. I have to respectfully disagree with Russ about March and April being dry, I've only seen two Marchs and Aprils and they've been wet, wet, wet!!! I guess that would depend also on where in the country you would be. I like April and Novemeber for the non-touristy time...but again, what you want to see will make a difference.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Willie

20th April (Hitler's birthday) used to be a holiday each year between 1933-1944. Not too many crowds then...

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 03:46 AM
Russ

notsure:<BR><BR>I don't doubt you got wet in March and April, but those two months are indeed the driest - have a look at the data for Frankfurt:<BR><BR>http://www.onlineweather.com/v4/worl...Frankfurt.html

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 04:03 AM
munchnerin

I'm not sure I believe that about March-April either! Then again, there's no guarantee at any time of year that it will be dry in Munich. April seems noticably warmer than March. March can still be pretty cold with some snow. Right before Christmas is nice if you can stand the cold weather.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 04:20 AM
kate

I actually wouldn't be scared of going in May or September/October as the weather will be more pleasant and Germany's tourist season won't be in full swing. In any case, Germany doesn't get swamped with tourists in the way that France, Italy, Spain, Greece and London does during the summer.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 09:34 AM
daisy

We're going Oct 23rd - Nov 10th. Going from Frankfurt south to Salsburg, Venice, then to Fusen, Germany area.<BR>How heavy a coat will we need? Can we get by with a light coat and "layering"

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:53 PM
howshould

daisy- I think that it would be hard for one to judge if you need a heavy coat or not! How easily one gets cold is a very individual thing. I could go with a light jacket and be fine, others may not! Do you not have any more pressing issues to iron out before your departure? BTW, it will probably be quite chilly in the mountains but I should think that layers would be fine for one who comes from an area which experiences varied climates(not western or southern US)but, that is JMO.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Linda

Germany is great during November/December. You do get the Christmas market crowd but not like during the summer.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:45 AM
xxx

Daisy--we visited Germany in 1999 during approximately the same time as you plan. We also went south from Frankfurt, althought not to Venice. The weather ranged from a bit of Indian Summer in the low 70's to highs in the low 50's. The only place I would describe as cold was the top of the Zugspitze. However, as has already been pointed out, cold is relative. I'm from the Upper Midwest--to me cold is below 20! I took a wool jacket and never wore it. But I tend to be warm. I was fine with layered clothing and a cloth jacket. Be prepared for dampness and rain.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:09 AM
xxx

Daisy, you never can tell about the weather here. In the past few years, November has been really really cold. It's possible the high could only be around freezing. It's also possible the highs will be around 50.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Kendra

Sharon,<BR>I would not be afraid to go in May. We went in late May this year and had no problems with crowds. It was even during the German school holiday week and still, places were not that crowded.<BR><BR>We had wonderful weather too -highs in the 80s.