Germany - Bavaria - Holiday Rentals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering renting a house/cottage in Bavaria or Lac Constance area (rural preference) and would greatly appreciate any recommendations for rental agencies and any advice you may have regarding renting in Germany, i.e., do we need special insurance, is it just easier to stay in a B&B, etc.

I realize I'm looking over a very large area - but we are very flexible in our location - we've visited the region before and figure this time we'll let the location of where we can find a nice rental decide what we visit vs. our need to see specific things. We will be renting a car so getting around won't be an issue.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM
J62

Many towns have good tourism bureaus with list of accommodations. Garmish Partenkirchen is one example. Check www.gapa.de.

I don't think you need an agency - holiday rentals are very popular in Germany, especially in winter sports areas like the Alps. The German term is Ferienwohnunung (vacation apartment) or Ferienhaus (vacation house).

A google search "Ferienwohnung TOWN NAME" will get you pointed in the right direction.

The website www.slowtrav was very helpful for me when I rented apartments in Italy, but I don't know how much info they have on Germany. I found the reviews of agencies and individual apartments quite helpful.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 06:36 AM

I have always done well booking directly with owners of Ferienwohnungen or the town tourism office.
Choose whatever town .de for Germany(ex: www.Konstanz.de), search under Tourismus, then Ubernachten(for overnights) accomodations, then zero in under Fewo (as above).
The benefit of this is lovely photo pics and detailed descriptions.
Many (not all) larger towns offer some english translation.
I usually email or fax the owners directly to agree to terms and make final arrangements for key, etc.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Agree that the local tourist office websites are the most complete. Once you nail down a town or an area, contact them - the offices will often send you glossy brochures in English even if the websites are only in German.

I have booked at this commercial site successfully. You simply contact the owners directly. Usually there is no deposit required. It has thousands of listings for Germany by state. You'd be searching within Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg. Within those categories are listings by region. Here's the Lake Constance area within Baden-Württemberg:

http://www.accommodation.de/List.asp...Lake+Constance

"Bavaria" encompasses a huge piece of real estate and is divided into 26 sub-regions at the same site. The Allgäu region in Bavaria is just east of Lake Constance:

http://www.accommodation.de/List.asp...Lake+Constance
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all for your help - recommended sites provided greater insight.

Thank you!
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:11 PM

I have found http://www.bensbauernhof.com/ extremely helpful in our summer 2011 trip planning. I like reading personal accounts of places people have acutally stayed. We selected 2-3 places on this site and compared them to reviews on tripadvisor.com and other review sites. We haven't taken our trip yet but hopefully some of the information on ben's site will be of interest.