Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany/Austria/Switzerland Itinerary: Advice please

Jul 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm planning a trip with my partner to these countries for late Sept/early Oct. We have 8 days in Munich to start (couple of days at Oktoberfest, couple of days sightseeing, maybe a day trip or two out of the city) and then we are thinking of hiring a car and driving around for two weeks.

I tend to get really into researching my trips and have had a first shot at an itinerary. I'd be really grateful for comments and advice. Have I missed anywhere on the route we really should stop? Have I included anywhere we shouldn't? It is too much? Pretty keen on beautiful small towns and scenery, hiking, boating etc, but not necessarily at the exclusion of nice and interesting cities. I've been using the viamichelin for driving distances and time estimates, are these generally reasonable or way off the mark?

Day
1 Drive to Fussen (133 km), night in Fussen.
2 Morning: Neuschwanstein Castle and Hohenschwangau Castle
Afternoon: Drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen (67 km)
Night in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
3 Drive to Innsbruck via Mittenwald (stopping in Mittenwald for a look) (61 km)
4 Day and night in Innsbruck
5 Drive to Interlacken, through Lichtenstein (370 km). Night in Interlacken
6 Day and night in Interlacken
7 Gimmelwald/Murren, night in Interlacken
8 Grindlewald/Junfraujoch, night in Interlacken
9 Drive to Konstanz (196 km), ferry to Lindau, night in Lindau
10 Day and night in Lindau
11 ??? Somewhere between Lindau and Munich???
12 Drive to Munich for evening flight home -

Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated. Thanks!
Jul 27th, 2010, 04:56 AM

Hello megjw

During 3 of your 4 days in Interlaken, you've planned to head up to the mountains.

Why not consider staying up there instead of making the trek back and forth daily? Perhaps Murren, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, or Grindelwald?

Happy travels!
Jul 27th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Hi megjw
We just finished our trip..
We travelled to Italy and switzerland and it was 1o days trip.
Here's the link to our detailed itineary

http://swissanditalyintendays.blogspot.com/

You might find it useful.
Thanks
Jul 27th, 2010, 05:04 PM

Day 2 - Fuessen - Garmisch: There are two ways you can go. Either via Lermoos, or via Schloss Linderhof. From Lermoos to Garmisch is a very scenic drive along the Zugspitze. If you have the time, you could take the cable car to the Austrian side of the Zugspitze. To visit Schloss Linderhof (my favorite), you again head from Fuessen toward Lermoos, but get off the Austrian 179 about 15km out of Fuessen, at Breitenwang, and head toward Plansee, Linderhof. It is about 25km from your turnoff. After Linderhof, you would continue to Ettal and south on the German B-23 to Oberau and then on to Garmisch. If you prefer, you could by-pass Garmisch on the B-2 and stay in Mittenwald.

On your drive to Interlaken (note spelling) decide beforehand which passes you want to cross. I would limit myself to the Sustenpass south of Altdorf. To get there, I would take the autobahns and head to Altdorf via Schwyz. The Klausenpss is an older road and quite narrow.

I agree that rather than staying in Interlaken you might consider one of the villages closer to the mountains. I personally like Lauterbrunnen.

There is no ferry from Konstanz to Lindau. The ferry goes to Meersburg (well worth a stop), and the you drive along the northern edge of the Bodsensaee/Lake Constance to Friedrichshafen and Lindau.

Look at Herrsching at the Ammersee (lake) for your stay en route to Munich. It's just off the autobahn Lindau-Munich. You could even take the short detour to Andechs and try their good beer.
Jul 27th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

swisshiker- Thanks for the suggestion. I guess the main problem now is which place to choose as a base?! They are all so beautiful

How is it driving on the routes I've planned? I've never driven in Europe before and I have looked into the trains but I do just really like the idea of being able to leave when we want, stopping for the views and picnics along the way.

emailsek007 - Thanks, I've had a quick look (I'm at work just now so a proper read will have to wait), looks like a fabulous trip!
Jul 27th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much treplow for the detailed comments and advice. Would you recommend staying in Mittenwald over Garmisch? Herrsching sounds like it could be a good stop, give me a water-body and I'm happy! And a good beer is always worth a short detour
Jul 27th, 2010, 06:01 PM

Hi Megjw

We have done the Murren area (actually twice because we loved it so much in 1999 and 2003). We stayed there, it is a car free village. Left the car in Lauterbrunen and took the Gondola up. We stayed both times at the Alpenruh which is built into the side of the mountain. It it is still the same, we looked out our balcony and the Jungfrau. At that time, they also owned the Piz Gloria (atop the Schlithorn) a revolving restaurant and you could exchange your breakfast at the hotel for breakfast up there. We also then went to the jungfraujoch one day by going down and up, with some hiking and a picnic. The hotel is at about 5,000 feet and has the closed circuit TVs for the mountain tops so that you can see the weather and if it is worth going up that day. It is one of my favorite places!
Have a great time!
Jul 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM

Hi Megjw,
I also stayed at the Alpenruh in Murren in '07, and will no doubt stay there again. As ReillyQ said, it's right near the edge of a cliff. You will have in-your-face views of the alps there. There are also some easy hikes in the area where you will come face to face with alpine cows and goats attired in Swiss bells. It's quite an experience. I wouldn't stay in Interlaken, and from the towns I would pick Muren or Wegen (but my vote would be Murren).

Hope this helps.
Jul 28th, 2010, 05:04 PM

Unless you want to stay some time in Garmisch and do some of the cog railway and cable car trips from there, I would suggest you stay in Mittenwald. Garmisch -Partenkirchen is a city, Mittenwald is a very pleasant and picturesque village. Hotel Post is a good place to stay, but there are also many private rooms ("Zimmer Frei"), if you are on a budget
Jul 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM

Hi megjw,

I'd stay in Mittenwald instead of Garmisch. If your looking for a very reasonble place to stay, we can recommmend the Pension Schwalbennestl in Mittenwald. Stayed here in '05 and '06. Basic rooms, but nice enough with great views. The breakfast buffet is fine also.

www.schwalbennestl.de

www.worldisround.com/articles/324763/index.html

I also would suggest staying in Wengen, Muerren, etc. in the BO. We stayed in Wengen and it was the highlight of our trip to Switzerland. It's a magical place.

One other opinion... I'd skip Liechtenstein. We stayed in Triesenberg, Liechtenstein, and while it has plenty of nice scenery, there's really nothing here won't see in Bavaria, Austria or Switzerland. Not worth the time IMO.

Actually, I'd stay in Mittenwald 2 nights and skip Innsbruck. I have to say it's because I'm not a big fan of Innsbruck at all. The area's beautiful, but Innsbruck...

Paul
Jul 31st, 2010, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the replies! I'm having a great time researching this trip and all of your suggestions

I have swapped out staying in Garmisch for Mittenwald. And
I think I have just about decided to stay in Wengen for our time in the BO. Its a hard choice between Wengen and Murren but it seems Wengen would be more convenient for exploring the area as a whole.

I have been trying to crunch the numbers and figure out what type of travel pass would be most useful in the Berner Oberland. I saw somewhere that the BO pass had to be bought a week or so before coming to the area, is this true or can you get it locally?

pja1 - Now I'm curious, what is it about Innsbruck that you dont like? Do others agree?

Thanks again,
Megs
Jul 31st, 2010, 07:40 AM

Hi Megs,

This is just my opinion... Innsbruck is a large, sprawling, busy city (plenty of traffic/noise) with an "industrial" feel and small, mediocre at best, old town. There are a couple of worthwhile sights, but they aren't "must sees" nor would I stay in town to visit them. Once again, this is just my opinion.

There's just too many nicer places in the area to stay. Mittenwald, Hall in Tirol, even Hungerburg (overlooking Innsbruck) are some places we've stayed which are close by.

We've stayed 3 times at the Gasthof Badl in nearby Hall in Tirol.

www.badl.at

We stayed once in Hungerburg at the Pension Alpina.

www.cafe-pension-alpina.at

Paul
Aug 1st, 2010, 01:15 PM

I am planning Austria, Switz & No Italy & am jumping in here to learn things.
Anyone have any thoughts about the Salt Mines in Salzburg?
It's been suggested to me but I'd read some mixed reports about the tour there.
Thanks.