Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany/Austria/Switzerland itinerary comments?

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Hello fellow travelers,
We are currently living in London and are planning a roadtrip to the alps for the last two weeks of July. It will be my husband and myself, along with our daughter who will be 11 months, so our pace needs to be reasonable with driving parceled into smaller bits when possible (less scenic road than usual for us). We typically prefer smaller, quaint towns to cities, and my husband LOVES the mountains. With our daughter museums are at the bottom end of our priority list this trip.
This is my first cut at an itinerary - any suggestions? We have already been to Vienna and northern Italy. Our depart/return dates are firm, but nothing else is yet. Thank you in advance!!!

July 19th - depart London, overnight outside of Cologne
20th - see towns along the way then drive part of romantic road (Wurzburg to Rothenburg); overnight in Rothenburg (or nearby)
21st - explore Rothenburg and neighboring towns; 2nd night in Rothenburg
22nd - leave early via autobahn for Salzburg, perhaps stopping in Munich along the way for the afternoon (remember museums/cities are not high on our list); overnight in Salzburg
23rd & 24th - explore in and around Salzburg, staying 2 more nights
25th - drive to Fussen/Reutte, including another section of romantic road along the way; overnight in Reutte
26th - castles, then drive to and overnight in Lindau
27th - explore Lindau area, then drive to Interlaken; stay near Interlaken for 4 nights
28th to 30th - tour around Interlaken…Grindewald, Gimmelwald, Train to Jungfraujoch, Montreux?
31st - drive through part of Black Forest, perhaps overnighting in/near Furtwangen
Aug 1st - Start drive back to England; overnight in Reims, perhaps making a pitstop or two in Champagne region
2nd - Spend morning in Reims region, then drive the rest of the way back to London
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM

Seems reasonable--a little rushed but you are young and can handle the pace. You might drive down to Hallstadt from Salzburg (an hour's drive)--scenic small village on a lake surrounded by mountains.

Also, the early morning train to the Yungfraujoch is the cheapest.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM

I would be prepared for crowds. Salzburg is very popular even in the non summer heavy travel months as is Rothenburg. I also like the idea of visiting Hallstatt but it too will be very crowded in summer.

I suggest that instead of staying in Interlaken that you stay in Lauterbrunnen or one of the other mountain villages. There are no mountain views in Interlaken. You might want to consider visiting Brienz, Thun and/or Spiez on Lake Brienz and Lake Thun. While Jungfraujoch IS amazing, you will definitely want to go early and make sure the weather on top is clear. On our last trip, we went up to Schilthorn and it is also very impressive (and cheaper than Jungfraujoch).
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - I have been doing a little more research and Lauterbrunnen definitely looks better than Interlaken for staying. We may also try to find something a little outside of Salzburg or maybe even trading a night here for another in one of the smaller towns.
Would you recommend staying outside of Rothenburg as well?
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM

Hi, I found this guesthouse during my research for somewhere to stay near Rothenburg - with a small child it may suit you.
www.romanticroad.com/zumrappen/index.html
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:02 PM

We thought Rothenberg was a neat place and wished we had overnighted there so that we could wander around after the day trippers had gone away. I hear that the Nightwatchman's tour is a lot of fun.

In Reutte, we stayed at the Hotel Moserhof, which we really liked. Our room was pretty spacious with a nice little balcony. There was plenty of room for a portable crib if you need one for your little one. They also have a good restaurant onsite with a nice patio area.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:02 PM

We actually like staying IN Rothenburg because once the tour buses leave midafternoon, it's much quieter. We love the early mornings and late afternoons/evenings. If you get off the main streets right around the town square, you may find there are fewer people. Download a good map of Rothenburg before you go.

http://www.rothenburg-online.de/cgi-...ory=Rothenburg

There are lots of nice places to stay in Rothenburg. Just do a search here on Fodor's for Rothenburg hotels.

However, if you decide to stay outside Rothenburg and do it as a day trip, get there early in the day or it might be difficult to find a place to park.