Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany/Austria itinerary - need help with possible stops

Jul 7th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

This is our tentative itinerary for Germany/Austria following a week in Switzerland with family. Any suggestions/recommendations welcomed!

May 22 - Depart Biel for Mittenwald.
May 22, 23 - Mittenwald
May 24 - Depart Mittenwald, stop in ?? (Hall in Tirol, the Zillertal area, Zell am See), spend the night
May 25 - Depart ??, leave for Salzburg
May 25, 26, 27 - Salzburg (possible day trip to Hallstatt and/or Herrenchiemsee)
May 28 - Freising
May 29 - fly home from Munich

Which area would be the best stop from Mittenwald to Salzburg? They all look beautiful - it's so hard to decide. And if you choose an area, any suggestions for accomodations are welcome as well.

Thank you!
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:47 AM

I really enjoyed staying at Zell-am-See - nice town on a serene Alpine lake - we walked around the lake but there are boats as well.

Also stayed once in Kitzbuhel but was not that overwhelmed with it.

Hallstatt IMO is so so exceptional i would try to stay there as well - on a lake hemmed in by high Alps - a dream town for sure.
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM

Another vote for Zell - in one direction you can visit the Krimml waterfall, and in the other the Grossglockner High Alpine Road. For my photos see http://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/Europe-2006 - last gallery.
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM

You cant go wrong with Innsbruck.Paul
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm hoping bettyk and pja chime in too - I know they've probably been to all of these areas before..?
Jul 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:51 PM

topping this so hopefully bettyk and pja1 might see it.
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:30 PM

nicksgirl88, we absolutely loved Mittenwald. My vote would go for Zell am See also over Hall in Tirol, especially if you just have the one night. I know Paul is very fond of the Zillertal but, again, since it's only for one night it may be best to do that another time when you can enjoy the area more.

I would definitely recommend a day trip to Hallstatt if you have never been. We've been there many times and are going again in September. In fact, it is one of those places where you really should overnight if you can as it is more quiet and serene early in the day and early evening. But it's a place that has to be experienced at least once.

One final thing, have you thought about staying in Landshut for your last night instead of Freising? Just a thought.
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Sorry, forgot to add my recommendation for a place to stay in Zell. We can highly recommend the Parkhotel Eder, a nice family run hotel just a couple of short blocks from the pedestrian shopping area and the lake. Prices are good as is the plentiful buffet breakfast.

http://www.alpenparks.at/en-parkhotel-zell-am-see.htm
Jul 8th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bettyk - I knew you had been to these areas and would have some good advice. I will look into the Parkhotel Eder, it looks lovely.

Hadn't considered Landshut - may need to look at that.

Anyone else want to chime in on the Austrian possibilities for stops?
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:14 AM

Hi nicksgirl88,

Love Mittenwald also! Out of your three places you mention to visit on the way to Salzburg, I'd go with Zell am See as well. I do love the Zillertal, but we also love Zell am See plus will be a very nice "change of pace" with it's beautiful lakeside setting.

We stayed at the Pension Alpenrose, about a 5 to 10 min. walk from the pedestrian zone and lake.

www.pension-alpenrose.com

Hall in Tirol is less than an hour from Mittenwald. If you really want to see it, stop for an hour or so on your drive from Mittenwald to Zell am See. You can also see some of the Zillertal if you include the Gerlos Pass on your drive from Mittenwald to Zell am See. I can highly recommend this route.

We can also add Erding, Germany, as a nice town by the airport to spend your last night in Germany. We stayed at the Park Hotel (Best Western).

Paul
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bettyk and pja1 - I forgot to mention we are only using public transportation. I think that Zell am See is going to be on our itinerary though. Looking forward to the trip although it is still so far away. Lots of things to plan for! Thanks for the hotel recs also.
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Zell am See's train station is on the lake and just a few minutes walk to the old town pedestrian zone.
Jul 15th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

We've tweaked our itinerary slightly. We are still spending 2 nights in Mittenwald - looking at the Gasthof Stern, has anyone stayed there?

From there heading to Salzburg for 4 nights. Reserved room at Haus am Moos (I am so excited about this one - great looking b&b and the price is unbelievable). We will do a day trip to Hallstatt and probably one to Zell am See.

Then heading to Freising - hope to stop at Herrenchiemsee on the way. Spending the night in Freising before our flight home from Munich.

If you've stayed at Gasthof Stern or know anything about it, please let me know. We are looking for something close to the train station. Thanks!
Jul 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM

Hi nicksgirl,

You may get more responses if you start a new post on the Germany Forum.

Paul
Jul 15th, 2010, 12:29 PM

nicksgirl, have no info on the Gasthof Stern in Mittenwald. We stayed at the Hotel Rieger. Admittedly, it was more than we had wanted to spend but was a very nice place to stay.

But the Gasthof Stern is in a great location and the rooms look nice enough from what I can tell on the website.
Jul 15th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks pja1 - I might try that.

bettyk - The Stern is close to the train station and it looks nice to me too.

We had hoped to spend a night in Zell am See (both of your descriptions of it sound great) but costwise we had to go with our B&B in Salzburg. Hopefully we can still make it to Zell to check it out.
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Zell am See will always be there for the next trip!

BTW, you don't need to start a new post on the Germany "forum" as this post is already tagged for Germany. Maybe Paul meant post a new thread just about the Mittenwald hotel?
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Yes Betty, I thought of a new posting just for the hotel and recommendations.

The Stern looks to be fine. Know nothing about it other than reading the website. It seems to be on the main road through town... both good and bad. May be noisier? but the pedestrian zone starts right across the street. It is convenient to the station, but many places are going to be convenient to the station, Mittenwald isn't that big. Sorry I'm not being helpful, but I'm just going by what I see on their website.

Paul