German trains...Plan&Spar fare???

Jun 1st, 2003, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

German trains...Plan&Spar fare???

Does anyone know what the Plan&Spar fare is for the German trains? It is a lesser fee than the ordinary 2 class seat. Any help is appreciated. We'll be going from FRA to Bamberg. Thanks!
Jun 1st, 2003, 10:27 PM
hsv

good question
the bahn introduced a new price system here in germany a couple of months ago which was intended to lower fares. nobody understands the system, though, so they are already considering to change it again.
this, of course, does not help you and might even bore you.
i will try to explain the main objectives of the price system: the longer you book ahead, the cheaper prices should be. if you do have travel companions, prices per capita might be additionally lower (if there is an expression like that;-)).
overall, the system works a little like the airline's pricing here in europe. the earlier you book, the better the fare.
you have to keep in mind, though, that you might be restricted to the specific train you booked for. otherwise significant surcharges apply (probably you might even have to buy a completely new ticket, if using a different train. i am not completely sure how this works, and how much you will be refunded for the ticket you did not use. i do know that they have a minimum charge of € 15,- (!) if you return an unused ticket.
keep smiling, though, and enjoy your trip to germany!
hsv
Jun 1st, 2003, 10:55 PM

There's Plan & Spar 40: If you buy at least a week ahead, you get 40 % off. But you have to buy a return ticket as well to get this offer - and a Sunday has to be in between the two trips.

If you buy your ticket and return ticket at least 3 days before you go you get 25 % off and if you book 1 day ahead you still get 10 % off.

These 10 percent are also taken off any ticket that you book in advance for one-way trips.

Also if there are people travelling with you 50 % will be taken off the price of their tickets (taken off of the already reduced price).

Children under 15 travel for free with their parents and grand-parents.

If you'll be travelling a lot there is a Bahncard to buy for 60 Euro which will take further 25 % off all tickets for the person holding the card (spouses and children up to the age of 17 can get a card of their own for only 5 Euro).

This is what I know and what I understand from the bahn.de site.
Correct me someone if I made a mistake.

Kascha
Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:04 AM

Looks like Kascha covered the bases, but the bahn.de website also explains it pretty well.

http://www.bahn.de/pv/int_guest/offe...lan_save.shtml
Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. It should save me a great deal of money!
Ashcanannie

Search this Thread