Comments please

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comments please

Hi,

I am planning a birthday present/trip to Italy for my wife and would appreciate commments on some of the finer planning details....

WE are early '30's and have both been to Italy before and this is more of a relaxtion/time-out/ restaurant/wine-drinking/shopping trip than a 'see the sites' one.

We are planning on 8 days during August (over feradagusto (sp) and realise the implications). We plan to fly into Rome and leave immediately for Positano. We intend spending 2-3 nights in Positano and will do some associated day-trips from here (ie. out to Capri). We will then go back to Rome for 4-5 nights with possibile a night in Napoli on-route.

HELP
1. IF ANYONE CAN SUGGEST ANYTHING UNIQUE THAT WE SHOULD DO/EAT/DRINK WHILST IN POSITANO PLEASE LET US KNOW?

2. CAN ANYONE GIVE A GOOD REASON TO STAY THE NIGHT IN NAPLES - HAVE BEEN BEFORE AND REALISED THERE IS NOT MUCH TO ATTRACT US (I THINK)?

3. THIS IS WHERE WE REALLY NEED SOME HELP. FOR OUR 3-4 DAYS IN ROME WE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW GOOD/UNIQUE RESTAURANTS / BARS AND PLACES TO GO AT NIGHT.
WHERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO STAY - WE WANT TO BE CLOSE TO THE NIGHTLIFE etc. AND PROBABLY BUDGETING AROUND US150-200 per night.....??

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

PACK_OFF_FEET_UP

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:18 AM
ira

Hi,

I am told that the Museo Archeologico Nazionale, Cappella Sansevero, Santa Chiara, San Domenico Maggiore, Carthusian Monastery of San Martino are all worth seeing in Naples.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. Any ideas on the questions regarding Rome?
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:51 AM

Packoff/Feetup: There are sooooo many Italy experts who post here, but you have only gotten one short response. Why? Probably because your title doesn't indicate what country your are asking about, let alone the specifics.

try posting your questions again with a m better title and you will likely get many useful answers.

(BTW - there is no "Italy" forum. Clicking on a country merely allows someone to search for information.)

try something like "Need info on Positano, Rome and whether we should overnight in Naples"
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:52 AM

Packoff/Feetup: There are sooooo many Italy experts who post here, but you have only gotten one short response. Why? Probably because your title doesn't indicate what country your are asking about, let alone the specifics.

try posting your questions again with a m better title and you will likely get many useful answers.

BTW - there is no "Italy" forum. Clicking on a country merely allows someone to search for information.

try something like "Need info on Positano, Rome and whether we should overnight in Naples"

(Maybe by me topping this, some other Italy pros will see your thread.)

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:54 AM

Oops - don't know how that happened. I used preview, went back to add a bit and both versions posted. Sorry.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:32 PM

Try to have at least one dinner in the town of Monterpertuso, a mountain village that is about 15 minutes by car from Positano. In Montepertuso, I would recommend IL RITROVO, which is, by the way,a follower of the SLOW FOOD movement. If you have your hotel call ahead, they will send somebody to pick you up and take you to the restaurant. They will also take you back to your hotel after you eat.
The food was amazing, and quite reasonable. I would recommend going early so that you can catch the incredible view out the window and down the mountain to Positano and the sea.
You could also go there for lunch by taking the SITA bus from Positano. And if you're really adventurous, you could leisurely walk back to Positano after lunch by following the footpath near the church of Santa Maria della Grazia.
Place to skip: DA ADOLPHO, which is constantly written up in all the guidebooks. It was absolutely awful.
Some locals in Positano told us about their favorite restaurant, which I believe was called "DUE PASSO", or "TWO STEPS". I think it was about 10 miles out of town, in the direction of Naples. Sorry I can't be more specific, but maybe somebody else here knows the place??
Anyway, have a wonderful time!