Search

German Train question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German Train question

Dear Train experts,

Four of us will be traveling May 9, Munich-Salzburg, May 11, Salzburg-Vienna, May 20, Prague-Dresden, May 21, Dresden-Berlin
On DB Bahn site, we found Bayern and Sparpreis ticket for 49 EUR instead of over 100 EUR for the four of us, can we buy these tickets in Munich or are these advance tickets available on line only.
We also are taking night trains from Vienna – Krakow –Prague, on the sleeper which I think it‘s all standard fare.
Thank you very much for your help.
Sam.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 09:00 PM

Hi samuell,

Those prices are indeed advanced-purchase and will sell out quickly. I get them often and get a pdf that I print on my own. If you buy online, you will have to designate a particular credit card (not necessarily the same one you used to buy the tickets) and show that cc when you show the ticket you printed out.

Have fun!

s
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 01:20 AM

Top tip:

Uisng www.bahn.de, you can get a 29 euro ticket Munich-Vienna, and if you put 'Salzburg' and between '01:00' & '24:00' in the 'via' & 'stopover' boxes it'll give you a stopover of up to 24 hours in Salzburg and still give you the 29 euro deal (if it's available).

Don't let me talk you into only spending 1 day instead of 2 days in Salzburg, as frankly I much prefer Salzburg to Vienna, but it's worth knowing this.

I'd go Vienna-Prague-Krakow, buying the Vienna-Prague ticket on a day train from just 19 euros at www.oebb.at (look for 'Englisch' at the top, then 'Online-Ticket' top right, then look for the 'ab 19 euro' link.

Then buy Prague-Krakow at the station, it's only 30 euros or so plus a cocuehtte supplement of around 10 euros (basic bunk in 6-bunk) or sleeper supplement (recommended!) of 18 euros in 3-berth or 26 euros in 2-berth (all per person).
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou, Swandav.

Man_in_seal_61, thankyou for sharing your knowleadge, we do want to spend two days in Salzburg, we can try this at Prague-Dresden-Berlin??

We want to take the night train Vienna-Krakow, therefore saving fare will not apply to us.

Am I right to assume that any and all savings fare are available on line only, just print ticket and bring with us and jump in or do we need to exchange for tickets at the station??

Thankyou both for your help.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 11:21 AM

Yes, this stopover arrangement works if you book Prague-Dresden-Berlin at bahn.de too.

Savings fares are available in advance, not near departure time. But fares in eastern Europe are pretty cheap at full fare anyway.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou very much,

Anyone else??
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

We bought Munich-Salzbug and Dresden-Berlin
49 EUR each, standard fare is between 104 and 140.

Thank you very much.