German speakers - please translate hotel response

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I requested a double room for 2 nights, check in Sept 25, check out Sept 27.<BR>Before I attempt to respond to the email, please tell me how you would translate this message (I tried an online version, but it's not clear). Thank you!<BR><BR>Vielen Dank f&uuml;r Ihre Anfrage. Leider k&ouml;nnen wir Ihnen nur eine &Uuml;bernachtung von Donnerstag, 25.09. auf Freitag, 26.09.03 anbieten ( Preis von 40 bis 46 EUR/ Person ). Mit freundlichen Gr&uuml;&szlig;en
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:32 PM

They can only reserve one night for you: Thursday 9/25, departing Friday 9/26.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:36 PM

Russ hit the essential message right on the kisser. <BR><BR>All I can do is confirm that he is right on target. You can reserve a room for only 1 night -- Thursday.<BR>the price quoted is in euro and is per person. <BR><BR>The rest of the message is German courtesy, which is usually quite nice.<BR><BR>Basically it says thanks for your inquiry. &Uuml;bernachtung is overnight stay; anbieten means to offer, Preis is price. Donnerstag is Thursday and Freitag is Friday, and leider means sorry or unfortunately.<BR><BR>You must be trying to reserve a room in Munich during Oktoberfest!<BR>
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:46 PM

Just for fun I ran this through the free Web based language translator at www.freetranslator.com<BR><BR>Tried this with Spanish sevral years ago and the results were comical. It appears that it works a bit more effectively now. Here's how they interpreted it - clumsy but readable<BR><BR>&quot;Thank you very much for your inquiry. Unfortunately we can you only an overnight stay of Thursday, 25.09. on Friday, offer 26.09.03 (price of 40 to 46 EURS/ person). With kind regards&quot;
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Not quite Ocktoberfest in Munich, but almost as bad! Inadvertently picked this week to pass thru Rhine area, and there's a winefest in Boppard, and Rhine-in-Flames at St Goar!<BR>I was afraid they were saying only 1 of my 2 nights... Thanks, I will now be able to respond to them...
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Now I need to ask for claification and make sure there is no confusion here on your interpretation of what Russ and I are saying the hotel communication meant. My doubt arises because I am not sure I understand your last statement about being afraid they were saying only 1 of your 2 nights.<BR><BR>I hope what you are saying is that Russ confirmed your fears: you can stay there one night, and only one night.<BR><BR>The hotel is able to reserve a room for you ONLY on the night of Thursday, September 25, with departure on Friday, September 26. (Check in on Thursday, check out on Friday.) The phrase &quot;nur eine &Uuml;bernachtung&quot; means only a stay of ONE night. <BR><BR>The German responses to hotel reservation requests usually state name of the day of the week, and the numerical date. <BR><BR>Although, as in American hotels, check in is usually in the afternoon and checkout is in the morning, you can sometimes negotiate for an earlier check in and/or later departure, but the hotel usually must know you as a regular guest.<BR><BR>For example, the Hotel Astoria in Munich once let me check in at the unheard of hour of 10:30 when I arrived from Helsinki on a very early flight. <BR>The flight landed about 9, I retrieved my checked luggage promptly, and the Lufthansa bus whisked me to the Nordfriedhof U-Bahn station where I took the train. A few stops later I rode up the elevator to the sidewalk, and walked the 3 or 400 yards to the hotel.<BR><BR>Fortunately I have patronized the hotel to the extent that I am regarded as ein Stammgast -- a regular. So they did me a favor, a very big favor of which I was and am most appreciative. <BR><BR>And you can be assured I have reservations there for late September.<BR>They accommodated me again during Oktoberfest. Besides, the breakfast at the Astoria is to enjoy. <BR><BR>The Astoria in Munich, the Golden Duck and the Sallerhof in Salzburg, the Carlton Opera and the Altwienerhof in Vienna serve fabulous breakfasts. The Alwienerhof is co-located with a 5 star restaurant. The unserved deserts are put on the breakfast table each morning. Yummy.<BR>What elegant eating!!
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I understood; just wanted someone with some knowledge of German language to confirm the news... I asked to spend 2 nights (in: 9/25, out 9/27) but they can only offer me a room for 1 night. I've got a couple more 'feelers' out there, one in Boppard-Bad Salzig. That town appears to be next on the train line, on the way to St Goar.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 12:41 PM

travelnut: Bad Salzig is a good choice. It's right on the river, just a train hop from Boppard (one of my favorite towns on the Rhine) and it's a quiet town that won't get much international tourism. I liked the location of the Hotel Bach there (cheap bike rentals!) but hven't stayed there myself.