German hotel - beautiful, restful, any price

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my closest friends will be traveling in Europe on business in June, however before her business trip, she will have four- five days with her husband and son any where in Germany. She will be flying in and out of Frankfurt and particularly wants her little get away to be restful in a beautiful location. Please feel free to offer any and all suggestions - money is no object. Thank you in advance
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:10 PM
rex

Two fairly different choices - - http://www.slhgermany.com - - which is more likely to match what she is seeking?

I do not know either of these properties personally.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:13 PM

The Mosel River valley is very nice. Rent a car--it's an easy drive from Frankfurt.

There are many lovely towns along the river--it just depends on what you enjoy. We stayed in the tiny village of Beilstein, and enjoyed it immensely.

We would explore along the river by car or boat during the day, and come back to the quiet town at night. We stayed at the Hotel Haus Lipmann, which has an excellent restaurant. We paid 82 euro per night for a nice double room with private bath, breakfast, free parking overlooking the river.

http://hotel-haus-lipmann.com/

If you want a variety of nightlife beyond sipping wine while chatting with other hotel guests and the owners or joining the singalong at the nearby wine cellar, then Beilstein might not be for you. But we loved it.

River tour boats stop at Beilstein, a few steps from the hotel, and there is a little ferry (also a few steps from the hotel) that can take you back and forth across the river.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Baden-Baden is an attractive town with several luxury spa hotels that certainly meet the requirement for "restful." Direct trains from Frankfurt airport will whisk her there in an hour or so. We have stayed at the Dorint and give it thumbs up. Next month, my husband and father in law will be trying the Steigenberger Europaeischer Hof. Both are 5-star hotels with their own restaurants and spas.
A new modern art museum also has opened in Baden-Baden.

But how old is that son of hers? It's not exactly a happening place for teenagers or young adults. There is a good rock climbing spot near the old castle popular with local climbers. A young boy might enjoy poking around the ruins of the old castle.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:41 PM
aggiemom

Hey KimiG: I don't have any suggestions for you (apologies) but I'm headed to Mosel in a couple of weeks and I have a question to RufusTFirefly: We're staying at Hotel Haus Lipmann. You said the boat landing is close by, but can we catch boats that go on the Mosel as well as the Rhein?? And thanks again for your suggestions.

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:45 PM

"Restful and a beautiful location"

I think you can have one or the other because most of the beautiful locations are filling with tourists at about that time. However I second the nomination of the Mosel Valley. Trier is the premier place to be.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:52 PM

aggiemom--it's the Mosel River tour boats that stop in Beilstein.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM
aggiemom

Mr Fly - Thanks. If we want to go on the Rhein also, do we just travel up to Koblenz and then down the Rhein? Is that possible? I assume we would change boats in Koblenz??

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:07 PM

Beilstein is also one of my favorites.

As for Rhein river: I'm not sure if there are boats that cover both rivers. But from the Mosel to Koblenz is an easy drive; if you are on the north side of the Mosel, you just head a bit further north and take the autobahn to Koblenz.

From Koblenz, take a boat no further south than Bingen. That will cover the pretty part of the river. Then you can return from Bingen (or towns in-between) to Koblenz by a train with the pre-fix R (Regio) These are the local trains. This way, you can get off the train to-revisit a town that you
especially liked on the boat ride.

For train schedules check http://bahn.de and print out the detailed itinerary of a Regio train. Thus, you will know at which places it will stop.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 02:03 AM

If money is no object, then the ideal place is the elegant Schlosshotel Kronberg in the Taunus not too far from Frankfurt. It was the home of the Empress Victoria (daughter of Queen Victoria).

http://www.schlosshotel-kronberg.de/en/

An equally elegant hotel also in a beautiful location would be Brenners Park HOtel in Baden-Baden.

http://www.brenners-park.de/englisch/einleitung.php

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Hello Kimi:

About 45 minutes by car from Frankfurt Airport is the tiny village of Assmannhausen, on the Rhine, and the Hotel Krone, which is one of the small luxury hotels of the world. A junior suite in the front of the main building will provide a balcony overlooking the Rhine and endless hours of relaxing sights. The restaurant is first rate and serves the red wines produced in the village. A dock for river boats is immediately in front of the hotel. It;s a great place to unwind. Gradyghost
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:49 AM

Parts of the movie "The Name ofd the Rose" were filmed in this beautiful German castle, now a preferred destination for a relaxed weekend: http://www.klostereberbach.com/docs/index.html
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:53 AM

as continuation to my previous post, try also the follohttp://www.weingut-kloster-eberbach.de/
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Another vote for Baden-Baden and the Europaischer Hof. It was several years ago that I stayed at the EH, but I see BTilke has given it a good review in the present moment. The town and hotel evoke a turn-of-the-century time and place.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

As always, I can count on you folks to come through for me! I haven't had the great pleasure of posting questions for myself in quite a while (busy raising babies), but hopefully I'll have the opportunity soon. Once again, thank you!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Hello Kimi:

You can't get away this easily. You must let us know about the accomodations that your close friends selected. Gradyghost
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

I have forwarded them the information. I will absolutely let you know which one they decide. Once again, thanks so much! After reviewing the Hotel Krone and Schlosshotel Kronberg, I wish I was going on a peaceful and restful trip! Kimi G
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 11:20 AM

We stayed in Oberwessel at the Schonburg Castle which sits high on a hill overlooking the Rhine River. It is charming. We felt positively pampered there. You didn't mention how old your friend's son is, maybe he is not looking for as much peace as his Mom, though almost any age can enjoy the trip on a Rhine steamer.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 11:24 AM

I'm sorry to have mispelled Oberwesel. The castle has a website which is easily found on Google.