Geneva Train Station

Search

Geneva Train Station

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geneva Train Station

I am flying into Geneva and need to get to teh train station (CCF?). Can someone give me advice on the best way to get from the airport to the train station? Also since I will be taking the train to France do I need to go through immigration again?
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure of the initials CCF, but the main terminus Geneva train station is attached to the Geneva airport. You simply follow the signs thru the building.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Take a train (every 20-30 mins) from the airport to the main Geneva train station in Geneva proper and change there for train to France. Yes you have to walk through customs from the Swiss Geneva train station to the SNCF (French) station that is also in the main Geneva station - that's if you're taking the mainline TGVs towards Paris. If going to the nearby Alps, Chamonix, etc, then you have to go from the small Eaux-Vives train station about two miles from the main Geneva station (linked by tram). Buses link the Swiss and French alpine resorts with the airport as well.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Hi italyquest,

Can you clarify ?: Do you need to go to Geneva Central Station (Cornavin)? There is also Geneva Airport Station which is 3 minutes walk from the airport arrival hall. Also where in France are you going to from Geneva by train? From the Cornavin station, trains leave for Lyon, Paris and most other French destinations. At Eaux-Vives Station (a bit out of city center), you can take a train into the direction of Chamonix-Mont-Blanc or Evian. Both station have the border police/customs which you have to go through (easy though) before taking your train.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 12:34 PM

CFF (le chemin de fer federal) in French or SBB in German.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks all, now I understand the difference... The terminus (airport) and the main train station (downtown Geneva)?

For italyquest, once you're on the train from the airport station, the downtown Geneva stop comes up really quickly.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers, I am going to Aix Les Bains in France.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:01 PM

it is very easy to do and the above info is correct - I did it with my nouvo husband (never in Europe before and a bit stressed about it) and it worked out VERY easily. There will be nothing for you to worry about and people there are extremely helpful.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:19 PM

So you are going to Aix-les-Bains. It's a 7-minute train ride from Geneva Airport Station to Geneva-Cornavin, leaving every 20 minutes. At Cornavin change the platform. Your train will leave either from Platform 7 or 8. Before getting the platform, you will have to walk through the Swiss & French border police/cusotms - meaning on the platform, you will be officially in France territory and no passport check when the train crosses the real boarder. You can check your train timing on the following site.

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 02:00 PM

Bus 10, a low rider, will also take you from the airport to the main station, Cornavin. Catch #10 bus outside the main hall of the airport. It is an easy ride through the city, maybe 15 minutes.

You must pass through passport control and douane at Station Cornavin. However the French do not have strict controls, at least not compared to the Swiss. You will be the unusual one who can get your passport half way out of your pocket before they wave you into France. This info is pre 9/11 and it might have changed.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone, I appreciate your advice
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 11:47 PM

hopsotch, in the case of going from Swiss side to the French, police/customs control is stricter because he is entering France. Often the Swiss passport control window is even empty + you have to call for custom officer (for detaxe, etc). This has always been this way before/after 11 Sep.

And I still suggest taking a TRAIN airport to Geneva Central(Cornavin), this way you will arrive inside the station and all you need to do is changing the platform. It will be less practical for itaylquest to arrive outside the station, walk a bit longer (not much though)and find a correct entrance, etc. Hope you will agree.

Old Oct 14th, 2004, 11:53 PM

> police/customs control is stricter ..

I meant FRENCH police/customs control is stricter (that's relative, compared to often empty Swiss window.) THAN SWISS.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Kappa, I've only used the bus so I can't compare. I used to get off before the station because I was living close to the UN offices.

My comment about Swiss vs. French border controls was meant to compare entry procedures. I agree that the Swiss don't pay any attention to who leaves, normally, but they are very curious about people coming in.

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 01:22 PM

I'm in same situation. Flying into Geneva, but from Barcelona, and need to take a train from Geneva to Zermatt. Is the train station beside or near the Geneva airport, or is there a separate train station for a train into the Alps?
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 03:55 PM

s1s2,

The flight from Barcelona gives you a magnificent view of Mont Blanc on the starboard side as you approach Geneva. It is awesome.

Geneva has a train station at the airport and one downtown, connected of course. Either one will at least give you a connection to Zermatt. Check the schedules.