Search

Thanksgiving in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanksgiving in Rome

Hi all

just to start a fun thread... I'll be in Rome on Thanksgiving. not that I'll be bummed if I don't get to eat traditional Thanksgiving food, but I wonder if there are even any restaurants there which serve it, and it may be fun to see some fellow Americans on vacation or living in Rome. we can all sing "Hail Hail, the gangs all here" LOL

or, how about this: where should we eat our meal on Turkey Day - but it doesn't have to be turkey?

3 weeks! 3 weeks!
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 08:51 PM

Well IMHO unless your have American friends living in Rome - you will not have a Thanksgiving dinner.

Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Italy.
In fact Italians do not even roast a whole turkey. They will occassionally
roast a turkey breast but that is it.

To my knowledge, but other posters may know more about this, I don't think you will find any Thanksgiving dinners in Italian resaurants. Again, Thanksgiving is an American holiday. Not an Italian Holiday.
Since you chose to go to Rome over Thanksgiving (which I would do if I could) I would make a reservation at some wonderful restaurant and just enjoy the day that way.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 03:32 AM
ira

Hi fly,

In Italy it is known as "il giorno per i ringraziamenti di dare" and is similar to France's "le Jour de Merci Donnant".

See http://mitglied.lycos.de/FrankGemkow/short/buchw1.htm
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks Ira! I knew you would post some silliness.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 03:56 AM
ira

Silliness?

That is Buchwald's most famous article from his days in France (except for the one about a two-hour lunch).

It was instrumental in forging the strong ties of friendship between the US and France. Before the advent of the 5th Republic under De Gaulle, Le Jour de Merci Donnant was celebrated every November with "dinde bourrée", "pomme de terre écrasée" and "Vin de Californie".

The dollar was also worth about 10 new FF.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 04:07 AM

Loveitaly - I think flygirl knows Thanksgiving isn't an italian holiday - she was asking, I think, if there were any restaurants catering for the American revellers. Not such a crazy question - there's plenty of American expats in Rome!
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 04:42 AM

Two points:

1) I would think the most likely place to get a Thanksgiving meal would be in the large American chain hotels (e.g. Hilton, Marriott).

2) One of my most memorable Thanksgiving meals was in Italy. We were in Sorrento, and a couple of days before the holiday, we went around town seeing if any restaurant even had Turkey on their regular menus. None that we tried did. However, some of the people we talked to were familiar with the holiday, and the tradition of eating turkey. At one restaurant, they said they would go out and buy turkey and prepear it just for us, even though it was not on the menu. We returned on T-day for a great meal. They had turkey for us, plus a very good approximation of the traditional side dishes. Near the end of the meal, the chef came out of the kitchen to greet us, then took us on a tur of the kitchen. To top it off, it was a fairly expensive restaurant, and we never asked what the price would be. When the bill came we were a bit scared to look, but they charged us a more than reasonable price!
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 04:52 AM

Howie! I love that story! People can be so generous and kind. While Europeans don't celebrate a Thanksgiving holiday when we do, they probably have heard about it.

Last Thanksgiving I was in Paris. I returned to a favorite restaurant, ate French things and man-o-man was I ever Thankful! I was blessed with the luck, hard work, time off, grace, to be traveling at all in good health and happiness.

So my point is, Thanksgiving day away from the US, can celebrate giving Thanks with anything...a fine ravioli? Gnocchi? A meaty ragu with paparadelli? (My italian spelling probably stinks as much as my french spelling!) and Barolo!
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 04:59 AM

Howie, loved your Sorrento Thanksgiving story! And, I love the way so many Italian business people personalize daily interactions with their customers to an extent and with a panache you don't find so much anymore in the US.

Old Oct 29th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Hi there Kate, dear one. Thanks so much for answering for flygirl. How nice of you.

First of all, who knows if flygirl knows that Thanksgiving is NOT celebrated in Italy...sort of sounded like she did but I have ran across a lot of Americans that did not know. And since, according to what I have read several times only about 20% or thereabouts of Americans hold passports, no big shock.

Flygirl said "I wonder if there are even any restaurants there which serve it" etc.

Rereading my post, I did not accuse her of asking a "crazy questions". Personally I do not think any travel question is crazy. If you do not know, you do not know. And what is crazy about asking?

I suggested that some other posters may have more knowledge than I. Asked if anyone else had any thoughts.

But guess you want to make some kind of a point? You no doubt are the spokeperson for flygirl?

Well dear Kate. Let me tell you.

Last night I called a friend in Italy.

While we were talking (on my nickel of course!) I asked him about flygirl's question.

Got some real good answers.

But know what? I am not going to bother to post the good and interesting answers because I am so sick and tired of rude posters.

So cin,cin.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 06:18 AM
ira

Dear love,

How does it harm Kate by not helping flygirl?
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Ira, I agree with your comment. I am just starting to feeling like rebelling against rude and arogant posters.

Silly yes, but it just makes me feel better.

If flygirl wants to post again and ask me I will post the advise I was given.

Cin,cin
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 01:02 AM

flygirl---easiest thing to do would be to call the American Embassy in Rome and ask them. You could also try University of Notre Dame--they seem to have a big study abroad program in Rome, so I'm sure their administration office in Rome could help.

Boy, and I thought I was immature.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 01:03 AM

flygirl--you do know my last comment wasn't directed at you.

LoveItaly--you did make it sound like flygirl is an idiot who thought that Thanksgiving was normally celebrated in Rome.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 04:39 AM

gosh, loveitaly, so tetchy! Reread my post, but couldn't for the life of me see how I was rude or arrogant. Clearly I need to be more careful in future!

Flygirl - sorry if your fun thread is turning into a slanging match - my fault apparently!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Back in Monet's Day, Thanksgiving was not celebrated but when the American Impressionist painters came to be near him, they lived at the Hotel Baudy(now a resto and museum) Madame Baudy, cooked the turkeys and recipes they gave her.