GENEVA TO INTERLAKEN

Search

GENEVA TO INTERLAKEN

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GENEVA TO INTERLAKEN

I (female) will be traveling by myself from Geneva to Interlaken mid April, 2018. The trains all transfer in Bern, is it an easy transfer? I see there is very little time between the trains arriving and leaving so I'm nervous about doing this. Is there an easier way to get to Interlaken? Would it be better to rent a car in Geneva and travel the roads?
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 09:45 AM

It's easy to transfer in Bern - not a huge station but a much more scenic route would involve taking a train Geneva-Montreux and then taking the Golden Pass scenic train right to Interlaken = there is one change of trains on that route due to track widtdh differences but everyone gets off one train and on another. And changing at Montreux is a snap.

Much much more scenic but about an hour or two longer from Geneva:

http://www.mob.ch/en/goldenpass/offer/view?id=14

VIP seats are a novelty - you sit in a compartment next to driver so you can think you're driving the train! Must reserve months ahead though to get.

For lots about Swiss trains check www.sbb.ch; www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

If traveling much around Interlaken and or other areas look at a Swiss Travel Pass or other pass like Half-Fare Card.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 01:13 PM

Fodors thread on booking VIP seats - and they really are something special!

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...pass-train.cfm

I see there is very little time between the trains arriving and leaving so I'm nervous about doing this.>

Don't worry there are trains twice hourly or so between Bern and Interlaken - so so easy!
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 03:55 PM
kja

I agree with Palen Q – it’s a very easy transfer. And if you are at all uncomfortable, just book a later train! And no, it would NOT be better to rent a car.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 06:15 AM

Not sure where you're going but if into the hills from Interlaken cars are verboten from most towns and must be parked on edges of towns - and yes the changes of train are very easy -just ask conductor on train what platform you have to go to to catch connecting train.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for great advice... I really appreciate it!
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 01:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
rkemerer - we did this exact journey a couple of months ago, and because DH had some mobility issues, I too was worried about the transfer but I needn't have - it was dead easy. The timetable will tell you which platform you are coming into the station on, and which platform you need for the train with which you are connecting. Then when you get down onto that platform, the overhead information boards tell you not only where the train is going and all intermediate stops, but also where the 1st and 2nd class carriages are and also the position of the buffet car. [BTW I'd take your own water - a small bottle was CHF 4.50!]

Bon chance!
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 08:08 AM

things in Switzeland go smooth ususally -well-marked - train people speak English ususally and are helpful - again ask conductor on incoming train which platform/track to head to. There are luggage carts usually to use for free - put coin in to get out and coin is returned when you return it to rack on other platform. Carry a one-france coin or whatever coin is now needed to disengage and use them.

If you have time put bags in locker and putz around gorgeous Bern fr a few hours - have lunch, etc.
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 10:35 AM

I agree with Palen Q – it’s a very easy transfer. And if you are at all uncomfortable, just book a later train!>

Seat reservations and pre-booking are optional on regular Swiss trains and many do not reserve and there usually are seat. You can certainly wait to buy your tickets once in Geneva - unlike other countries usually no discounted deals for a single traveler for advance bookings (but check www.sbb.ch)

Thus yes if you want to reserve a seat do so at time of buying ticket and if you miss the first train you lose the few-CHF (Swiss franc) seat reservation fee but the ticket can be used on any other Bern-Interlaken train that day. Thus you need not book anything - as tickets are usually good on any train - Swiss train station clerks usually speak good English - always ask when buying - or buy ahead of time at www.sbb.ch.

Is that your only train trip in Switzerland? If doing several more look at some kind of railpass or the Half-Fare Card, etc.
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 01:05 AM

Trains from Geneva airport to Berne run every 30 min. Trains from Berne to Interlaken run every 30 min too.
Never book your GVA - Interlaken train ticket ahead; web tickets are only valid in the train you booked and you will get no refund if you miss your prebooked train bacause of late arrival of your plane.
Buy it at Geneva airport railway station after arriving. This ticket will be valid in any train and you can stop over wherever you like.
But Palen is right: have a look at National and regional travel passes in the case you plan to go into the mountains from Interlaken.
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 11:55 AM

If going into the hills from Interlaken stay on trains when they stop at Interlaken-West - station in town center and get off at the terminus station of Interlaken-Ost which has easy transfers to mountain trains to Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen.
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 12:57 PM

have a look at National and regional travel passes yes if taking several trains - for just the Jungfrau Region you have the Jungfraubahn Pass - a great deal if taking several expensive mountain trains or cable ways - of again the Half-Fare Card which costs about CHF 120 or about $130 and for a month gives you half off everything that moves - if taking the Jungfraujoch train the card at half-off nearly pays for itself on just that one journey- buy online from agents in U.S. or from www.sbb.ch or at any station once in Switzerland.