Search

question about golden pass schedules

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about golden pass schedules

Hi all,

I've tried searching through these forums, and also checking the website for the Golden Pass train, but I'm still confused about the schedules. Here's where I've looked so far:
I found one version of the 2006 schedule here: http://www.goldenpass.ch/GPL/voyages/Hor2006GPL.pdf
However, I found another version off the reservation site (http://shop.goldenpass.ch/resa/). When I go to this reservation site and click on 'goldenpass panoramic', it lists all the times where you can reserve a seat, but this version seems different from the first one.

Does anyone know why this is? In particular, I'm confused as to why the reservation's timetable doesn't have a line that goes straight from Montreux to Luzern. There does seem to be one that leaves Montreux at 13:45, with a 30-minute layover in Interlaken, but that's the only train that goes relatively straight through from Montreux-Luzern. I was under the impression that there would be more than just one? Am I missing something here? Or have the other trains simply been booked already?? (I'm looking at schedules for next week)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:38 PM

I have done Montreux - Luzern. It involved three trains.

Montreux - Zweisimmen: cool panoramic all glass train with great view.

Zweisimmen - Interlaken: quite ordinary train

Interlaken - Luzern: another panoramic train, but less view than the Montreux train.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:17 AM

>In particular, I'm confused as to why the reservation's timetable doesn't have a line that goes straight from Montreux to Luzern.

There are connections every hour, as with almost all other Swiss rail lines. Just not all trains include panoramic carriages with glass domes.
The trip from Montreux to Lucerne via Interlaken has two gauge changes (1000 mm from Montreux to Zweisimmen, normal gauge from Zweisimmen to Interlaken, and 1000 mm again from Interlaken to Lucerne. Therefore, there cannot be through trains.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:23 AM

This is why it is called the Golden Pass <b>Route</b>...always train changes.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the clarification!

I did realize that I'd have to change trains for the Golden Pass route, but I was confused since it seemed like there were going to be long gaps between the trains.

But I now understand this is only true if I want to sit on the panoramic trains; otherwise, there will be other trains (that aren't panoramic) which will ride along the Golden Pass route, and presumably these trains will still have some sort of windows for viewing the scenery too (I hope).

Thanks again for the information!