Geneva or Lugano?

Search

Geneva or Lugano?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geneva or Lugano?

We have already planned 2 of our 3 days in Switzerland. I am seeking input for the 3rd day. We will be based in Zurich and making daytrips from there. We have a choice of either going to Geneva or to Lugano. Both take around 3 hours by train from Zurich. My elderly father will be with us and for him this will be the first and last time in Switzerland. Although I know both are very compelling destinations, if I had to choose one, which might be a better experience, visually and otherwise - Geneva or Lugano? Which is a more interesting, eye-popping train ride?

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:47 PM

Lugano as it is sub-tropical so you will see palm trees, and get an Italian feel (and food). Lovely large lake. Geneva will remind you a bit too much of Zurich, IMO. Lugano is more laid back and there are nice walks and cafes along the waterfront. The ride is pretty as well.

Lugano has music and other festivals in summer, so check to see if your visit would coincide with any.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 01:04 AM

Hi - you don't say what month you'll be traveling, but it's probably Lugano for a wonderful daytrip.

Take a cab from the station to the lakeside, and have an easy wander around the town center and lakefront; lots of benches everywhere & it's lovely & flat.

All the beauty of Italy, with the efficiency (& prices) of CH . . . hope you guys have a great time.
: )
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:20 AM

I will agree with everyone else that Lugano is the better choice. The train ride there is quite scenic as well. Take the panorama train at least one way if you can fit it into your schedule. The Swiss train site indicates which trains have the panorama cars. If you are traveling on the weekend or high season it is probably best to have a reservation in advance for that car.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:30 AM

You don't tell us in what season you are in Switzerland, but still, Lugano seems the best choice to me too.
First, the train trip shows very well the difficulty of travelling through the Alps and makes you realize that the construction of this route must have been very difficult.
Secondly, Lugano, the south, palm trees, good food, strolling around,... what more can you ask for?
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Good morning, with the main part of the old town located at the bottom of the funiculare from the main bahnhof.
Hotels, ristorantes and shops are right there. no car or public transportation is required..the boat
docks are about three blocks from the
station. Lugano.. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 07:06 AM

In addition to all the points about Lugano mentioned above, it also is a popular spot with Swiss and German retirees, so your Dad will fit right in. I took my 70 something mother there last summer. We had a great time but...if you're going in the warmer months, you MUST be sure to book a hotel with airco. It can get very hot in Lugano in the summer. Be sure to take the 2 plus hour boat cruise around Lake Lugano. Very relaxing. Tip: when you take the cruise, sit INSIDE at a table by a window. The windows roll down so you get an unimpeded view, with a nice breeze, and no sun beating down on your head. Wear sunscreen anyway, though, because of the light reflected from the water. On our boat cruise last June, some Brits insisted on riding on the open deck, wearing no hats and no sunscreen. The next day, I happened to sit at a table near them in a cafe and they were talking about how two members of their group had severe sunburns that needed medical treatment and the others had uncomfortable sunburns.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

A big thank you to all the contributors on this thread. Lugano it is! We will be in Switzerland around April 30.

BTilke - thanks much for the tip. We'll sit inside as you suggested. But we're brownies from India and sunburn is not much of an issue. Besides, my father will be coming in from Goa where it will be the peak of the summer heat; to him, Lugano will seem rather balmy by comparison.

Again, much thanks to you all!